1. This forum is in read-only mode.

DSi not compatible with WPA2 router settings - how do I solve it safely?

Discussion in 'Non-Emulation Help' started by Manutjee, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Manutjee

Manutjee New Member

I've been having my DSi for a few months, and it used to connect fine back when I first set it all up. I did have a lot of issues to trying to get it to work back then, but one way or another, I solved it. Now, after a while not using the DSi, I decided that I wanted to play on the device again, but now I am having the same connection stuff going on. When I test the connection it's fine, but when I try to reach the WFC settings on the game (Pokémon White 2), it is giving me the "Please configure your connection settings under the Internet option in the System Settings. For help, visit support.nintendo.com" error. How is that possible while I tested the connection?

I know my router isn't compatible with the DSi device. I have a TP-link router, with the WPA/WPA2 settings. According to Nintendo and other sites I need to change it to WEP or I have to disable the securities, and I am NOT doing that last one. I just won't. My phone and my laptop work fine on the wireless-network.

I also checked: nintendo.com/consumer/wfc/en_na/ds-security.jsp

Is there a way around this all? How could I solve this the safest way, 'cause I don't want to buy an other router just for the DSi. Also, does the 3DS have the same issues? Why is it that the DSi device isn't compatible with WPA security? I think this really is a downer for Nintendo, really.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

there is no solution other than changing to wep security, which is little better than no security. Nintendo have made and continue to make very stupid decisions in this matter.

3. TBreaker

TBreaker Well-Known Member

Only older games support only WEP connections.
    Newer games like your White 2 support WPA/WPA2 on DSi or 3DS as well.
    I used WPA connection on my DSi with Black/White and Black/White 2 games too.

It should work for you.
    Try erasing the settings on your DSi and set them up new.
    And be sure to used the "Advanced Setup".

4. Manutjee

Manutjee New Member

I have set it up three times already... No luck. I've read some things on how to set it up with the DNS settings and all, but I have no idea how to do that... I'm completely new to this. Will try it later again today, but love to have some more information/details on how to set it up properly without messing stuff up. :p

Edit: And even with the 3DS, I can't go online with the WFC settings (Pokémon White 2). I keep getting the "Please configure your connection settings under the Internet option in the System Settings. For help, visit support.nintendo.com" while I successfully complete the connection tests, with WPA/WPA2.

Edit 2: And apparantly my router doesn't work with the WEP settings... I can't connect to the internet on any device here if I set it to WEP. I have a TP-Link WR841N router. I did manage to add the DS device to the MAC filters. I am, at this moment, WPA2 secured.
    And I am very disappointed with this Nintendo issue... Is there any way to solve it? 'Cause even with the 3DS device I keep getting the Please configure your connection settings stuff, with Pokémon White 2... Unless there's a difference between WPA and WPA2? When I test my settings at the System Menu, I can connect to the internet. I only need to connect with the game(s) now...

Edit 3: I've finally managed to check my friend codes om Pokémon White, White 2 and Black 2, which means I am connected to the internet - which I've also tested. I've entered the MAC-address of the device to my router and disabled the DHCP settings. Now the only thing left to do is getting the WFC settings to work, cause I keep getting the "Please configure your connection settings. For support please contact Nintendo" stuff. Other than that, it's all solved!

Edit 4: I had a very short (too short in my opinion) conversation with Nintendo NL (in Holland, which is where I live) and they told me that the DS and DSi games have a lower security (WEP) on games, including the Pokémon Black and White games, which means DSi games CANNOT be played online with WFC. While this link here { nintendo.com/consumer/systems/3ds/en_na/ht_internet.jsp?menu=internet%20settings&submenu=ctr-ht-online-security } tells me that DSi and 3DS games ARE compatible with WPA security, so WHAT is the deal? I'm lost!