1. This forum is in read-only mode.

DSi goes 3D

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by irishlad09, Mar 2, 2010.

1. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

I've had my DS phat since 2004. The DSi didn't allure me with its gimmicks.

The 3DS is going to have to be a brand
    new console to claim my money.

Sorry about the broken up text.
    Using bunjalloo as I post this. :/

2. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

Meh, not that spectacular. Glad i did not buy a DSi.

3. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

I already have better functionality with my other devices. Having a DS phat, an MP3 player, and an actual digital camera isn't a bother. Hell both the MP3 player and the camera is about a million times better than the DSi's functionality concerning both things.

I'm very inclined to agree, in some cases I see that loonylion's 'I've seen it before' is total bullshit. Although this tech has been around (it's similar to headtracking if anyone wants to google that).

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

it's the exact same technique thats been used to add depth to theatre stages since Shakespeare's time.

5. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Huh...

If you mean seeing a live production and having 3d depth as in foreground, background and middleground, and then applying it to an image where you can see many different angles of depending on the angle of the system itself, is the same. Then sure. Along with seeing real life objects and moving it around to see other angles of that object.

I'm in complete and utter awe right now. That's like saying that you've seen speaker technology before because you heard someone yelling, or that you've seen touch screen technology before because people have the ability to touch things.

I'm trying extremely, extremely hard to try and understand your perspective loony, I really am, as you do have a lot of informative things to say at times, I just find it completely ridiculous to say that you've seen this tech done before because theatre has depth similar to it and that you can see different angles of it depending on positioning. If you could explain anymore, please do, as I don't think I fully understand or that I see your reasoning completely ridiculous.

6. isaac100

isaac100 Well-Known Member

lol you made me laugh really hard with that one xD

7. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

the size and positioning of props and scenery at the perimeters of the scene is used to give the illusion of depth, which is exactly what is being done here. its nothing more than an optical illusion, and one that has been used in the theatre for centuries.

as for the changing view from different angles, I had a viewing box that did that, some 14 years ago; an enclosed box with a window in one side and a scene inside it. viewing from slightly to the side produced a different scene to viewing directly. It contained no electronics save for a white light that illuminated the scene.

8. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

9. MindFever

MindFever Well-Known Member

LOL!

I saw a better one where Pickard says "Go to warp factor FUCK YOU" showing a middle finger :D

10. Jonez001

Jonez001 Well-Known Member

They say that it will be only in Japan :'(

11. MindFever

Edit: deleted my previous link ...it is embarrassing to fail so bad :D

12. sylar1000

sylar1000 Well-Known Member

XD calm down, the video is fake, they showed games from like 4 different consoles

13. MindFever

Lol,yeah i figured out a bit too late ;)

14. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

isnt all 3D is basically optical illusion, including those in Imax?

anyway this isnt new, i saw some hacker did it with wii remote years ago in yutube... so search youtube for head tracking 3d.

this is just an improve version.... but i would be lying if i said its doesnt look impressive.

15. Nevon

Nevon Well-Known Member

There's been a compiz plugin for head tracking for like two years now.

So, for everyone who was crying "source!", here you go. Head tracking on a Linux desktop.
    http://wiki.compiz.org/Plugins/Headtracking

And here it is for the iPhone:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEPvUfC7wh8

And here's an application that makes use of the G-sensor to achieve the same effect (for Windows mobile):
    http://handheld.softpedia.com/get/Others/Diamond-Hologram-68307.shtml

I was kind of surprised to see that there doesn't seem to be an equivalent for the Android platform. It's still pretty young, but I still thought there would be one.

16. MindFever

well they could be smart and implement a head-tracking interface like the one that exists for the PC ... <something>IR ...it works very well and is a must for all flight simulation fans.It is indispensable in the newer version of Falcon 4 (greatest F16 sim out there)

I still hope they wont fuckup this one and say "we never promised any 3d game for 3DS!" ... and ofcourse,if it happens, people will flame me and say "they didnt promise anything" as usual :) not promising something does not make one honest