1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Dragon Quest IX - Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by DragonQuester, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Kiekoes

Kiekoes Guest

The original Dragon Warrior was way better...

2. XeNo - A.K.A Steelez

XeNo - A.K.A Steelez Well-Known Member

The graphics on this one reminds me of DQ8 on ps2

3. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

Irrelevant and somewhat funny.

That's because the same artist does the art for every Dragon Quest game, and with the introduction of systems that can render nice looking 3D, DQ has finally gotten a solid look.

You need to go west to Batsureg and get what I assume will be your final Fygg there.

1) Yes. Once you get to a town called Stornway and get the Inn up and running (should be fine after the very first visit), there will be a blue haired person named Patty (I believe that's her name anyways) where you will be able to customize up to three other characters to take with you.

2) I punched about 55 hours in on the main story, but I spent a good amount of time leveling and questing on the time. Overall, I would probably say it has about a 45 hour story depending on your actions. Obviously some of the leveling is somewhat necessary.

3) None that I can think of. Except for cameo appearances you can get for the Inn in Stornway through either wireless (the hard way) or a save editor (the easy way), there is no real need to have any knowledge of past Dragon Quest games either. Like Final Fantasy they are in no way related in terms of story and main characters, though there are some nice little things for long time fans of the series (An Erdrick's set which is a reference to the very first Dragon Warrior game for example).

Soluri: The patched worked fine on Wood v1.10. The clean did not. Trust me, I tried it multiple times. The farthest v1.10 would get would be the final AP check, the end of the first battle that you do with Aquila. Most tries it wouldn't get farther than that. Basically, there is absolutely no way that the clean works perfectly on v1.10. Chances are you're playing the patched anyways. I was only providing a list of carts and firmwares for which the clean ROM worked, not the pre-patched with the intro.

4. mavs123

mavs123 Member

does wormwood creek have a fygg?!?

5. LuckyTrouble77

No. The Fyggs (in order):

- All Trades Abbey
    - Port Llaffen
    - Zere Rocks
    - Bloomingdale
    - Gleeba
    - Batsureg
    - Swinedimples Academy

All of those are either where you get the Fygg, or where the quest for a Fygg starts.

6. triemie

triemie Well-Known Member

found an Bestiary online :
    http://www.ualberta.ca/~fqureshi/DQ9Bestiary.txt

and a Alchemy recipe book :
    http://www.ualberta.ca/~fqureshi/DQ9AlchemyRecipeGuide.txt

7. Soluri

Soluri Well-Known Member

I. Hate. Huning. Metal. Slimes....

8. triemie

triemie Well-Known Member

omg you do ?
    its only iritating to find them but it isnt that bad
    omg you do ?
    its only iritating to find them but it isnt that bad

9. thomyyy

thomyyy Member

thanks for the link it works fine on my r4

10. Soluri

Soluri Well-Known Member

Yes, I do cause I want to level up.

Wow.... Just did 80 damage to a metal slime :D
    Now killed two in 5 min. ::)

11. unqiueninja

unqiueninja Well-Known Member

you are obviously lying, you can't did that many damage to metal slimes >:D

12. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

Oh yes, you can. With the luck of critical hits, as well using metal based attack.

13. LuckyTrouble77

There are very useful critical hit moves that help tons when fighting metal slimes of all kinds. You just need to find them. A good one for the Spear is Thunder Thrust. Seems to work 30% to 50% of the time, but that's good enough with the way metals appear in most places in this game.

14. Blade5406

Blade5406 Well-Known Member

How about that multi-thrust,.... y'know that ultimate spear technique?

15. LuckyTrouble77

The ultimate spear technique is Lightning Storm and doesn't work on metal enemies. Multi-thrust is okay, but most hits don't really connect most of the time.

16. Griffandir14

Griffandir14 Well-Known Member

I'm hunting liquid metal slimes now, because I can't find a large enough group of King metal or the gem king or whatever they're called.

17. LuckyTrouble77

Where are those even located? I haven't explored too much since getting my ability to go anywhere, but I certainly can't find those guys anywhere.

18. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

Liquid metal slime? I just fought dozen of it at the Bowhole Dungeon, 3rd Basement.

19. Griffandir14

Griffandir14 Well-Known Member

Even with the massive experience they give, my Luminary is still leveling up too slowly, I want to take on the Legendary grotto bosses, but I will lose at the level I am right now.

20. LuckyTrouble77

I can fight those at anytime in a couple different places. I meant the stuff worth tons of exp.