1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Dragon Quest IX - Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by DragonQuester, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Griffandir14

Griffandir14 Well-Known Member

Just tried to fight Equinox in the first grotto and got whupped, stupid lightning came out of nowhere.
    Lv. 25 Minstrel
    Lv. 24 Mage
    Lv. 25 Thief
    Lv. 25 Martial artist
    Thinking about switching my thief to either Gladiator or Ranger.

2. triemie

triemie Well-Known Member

yeah i just beat him was very hard just spam falcon slash (if you have it and he should be cake and always heal when your hp is less then 80

3. Sneggz

Sneggz Well-Known Member

ok now what do i do i finished the desert thing and beated the lizard and got my 3rd fygg? now what

4. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

That should be your 5th, not your 3rd.

- Alltrades Abbey - First
    - Port Llaffen (or however it's spelled) - Second
    - Zere Rocks - Third
    - Bloomingdale - Fourth
    - Gleeba - Fifth

Next you'll want to head north to the plains. There will be a small village up there where you'll be able to get the next one. You're other option is to head far north into the snowy area and find Snowdimples Academy and see if you can get the one there yet. I personally did the Academy first, but the monsters in the plains are actually weaker.

5. Sneggz

Sneggz Well-Known Member

well for alltrades abbey i didnt know where to go and i am suppose to find this person that can change your thing like warrior to mage or something

6. triemie

ok now at gleeba went to the castle and now need to find a lizard anyone knows where the lizard is

7. Sneggz

Sneggz Well-Known Member

go equip the clap thing (its the move where you press b and then you use your cursor) and go outside to the front castle and go back to the castle where there are trees there its outside of the castle around them keep clapping until you find it i found mine at the outside of the castle on the tree

8. triemie

ok now going to try it

9. Sneggz

Sneggz Well-Known Member

sorry if the explaination is poor im bad at english xD
    so basically you go outside and you see trees around the castle so yeah then beside the tree use clap clap

10. LuckyTrouble77

As Sneggz said:

Equip "Clap" as a party trick and assign it to a direction.
    Go outside the castle, and go to the left side (Your left).
    Go by the tree in the back on that side and use "Clap".

The lizard should pop out, catching it will be very simple.

11. j c 2000

j c 2000 Well-Known Member

what do think is the best class i think the priest is

12. LuckyTrouble77

Priest is okay. It lacks in attack power and defense, and the spells don't always make up for it. Even at level 50, I'm having a hard time getting my Priest through the final dungeon. Same goes for my Mage except that my Mage has no defense, HP, or attack, and relies completely upon the Magical Might to survive. Pretty much one good critical from the bosses in the final dungeon, and my Mage drops.

So far, my favorite class has to be my Gladiator, though surprisingly, the Minstrel is a close second. I love the Gladiator because he has monster attack and defense. Even from bosses, it takes a critical hit to do any noticeable damage. The down side, no MP for the most part to speak of. Without an accessory to boost MP, at level 41 my Gladiator would only have 17 or 18 MP. Makes it difficult to use sword abilities. Not to mention, no healing magic. Sort of leaves the Gladiator at the mercy of the enemy if my Priest and Mage happen to die.

Minstrel is by far the most balanced class, for better or for worse. Decent attack, decent defense, decent magic, decent skills, decent speed, all around a useful character. The max HP suffers a little, as does the max MP. The Minstrel can equip most gear, and is a great class if you need something right in the center. He suffers from one of the short comings that the Priest does though. The Minstrel drops very quickly if a critical hit or two swings in. Overall, it is simple, and is kind of like what you would expect out of your main character if a class system wasn't in place.

I have no experience with many of the classes, but the Minstrel is easily the most balanced between the six regular classes and the armementalist, gladiator, and ranger. I can't speak for the Luminary (possibly a better balanced class), or the Sage, but they appear to just be upgraded forms of the Minstrel and the Mage (respectively).

In answer though, no class is truly the "best", as every class has their short comings. It's just a matter of mastering many skills between all the classes, and using them to create your own class of sorts. Except for armor restrictions, you can make it so any character can equip any weapon, any shield, and use every ability. Not to mention the incredible amount of bonuses you can receive for mastering different skills on the various skill trees that will carry on from class to class (HP +10, MP +10, etc.).

It's just a matter of playing smart more than anything.

13. j c 2000

j c 2000 Well-Known Member

In answer though, no class is truly the "best", as every class has their short comings.
    i didnt think of it that way
    Code:
    [center][/center]

14. rockerzz182

rockerzz182 Well-Known Member

ive already beaten the game..now im on treasure hunting..=D

15. triemie

just beat the lizard so now i have to head north but is it walk north or do i have to get there with my ship ???

16. LuckyTrouble77

You have to head the the north continent, and get off where you can. Then simply walk around until you find a town. There are two places you could end up in at this point. The Plains would be ideal, as the monsters are basically just a step up from the monsters around Gleeba, but if you stumble into the snowy place (Swinedimples Academy), you can probably do that by the point your at with a tiny bit of struggle.

17. Griffandir14

Griffandir14 Well-Known Member

I've been playing for a while and the best advice I can give for anyone starting out is train a thief and put enough points into acquisition to gain the half-inch ability, because the item drop rate is so low in this game you will never make the high end alchemy equipment without the ability to steal.

18. LuckyTrouble77

I second this. The drop rate is awful. It took me about 40 minutes to get two measly butterfly wings off of Betterfly's from the beginning of the game. Note this: My characters were at lowest level 41 with my Gladiator, and at highest 50 with my my Priest. If you don't want to spend that amount of time every time you need a drop, you will really want to be able to steal.

I still don't have this ability since I've spent so much time working on my stronger classes.

19. unqiueninja

unqiueninja Well-Known Member

Where do I find brightstone?

20. LuckyTrouble77

Look in your monster list. It should say what everything drops. If I wasn't currently busy, I would look it up for you.