1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Download Updaters Wanted!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Seph, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

RomUlation provides a number of features that help our users decide whether or not they'll like a game before actually downloading it. Currently these features rely on feedback from the community, as admins we don't have the time to update the game database ourselves as we're always busy with maintaining the server, updating and improving the site backend and adding more downloads.

This is where you come in, as a user of our site you have a number of options everytime you visit a download page, you can rate the game, you can specify a genre, add screenshots or write your opinion about the game in a comment. All these helps the in more ways than you might think. So in order to encourage the use of these features I'll here describe exactly what each feature does.

But first; the topic. We will be setting up a group of dedicated fans who shall recieve an official title of Game Database Updater (or something similar), although this does not mean anything special at this very moment, it will quite possibly give some perks in the future.

Listed in order of importance.

Screenshots
    There's really not much to say about these, everyone likes screenshots. We estimate that these are critical to the overall impression of RomUlation, therefore we also reward each screenshot submitted with no less than 5 points per approved screenshot, that means you can earn up to 20 points per game you play just by taking 4 varied screenshots showing how the gameplay is and then upload them using the very simple uploading form.

Submitting a Comment
    Comments are great for the site in more ways than one, not only do they provide other users with your opinion, but it also adds content to our pages. You may have noticed that all the download pages look alike, the only difference is the information on them, search engines sees this too, therefore they are reluctant to include all of the pages in their index which results in RomUlation getting less visitors from search engines then it ought to. Therefore we also reward posting a comment with 2 points.

Specifying a Genre
    Genre's is a new addition to RomUlation, we introduced this in order to implement the Similar Games feature, this works by selecting other games with the same genre and sorting them by rating, so if you know the genre of a game and it isn't specified then please do so. If you feel that a genre is missing from the list then make sure you tell us.

Specifying a game's genre is easy, all you have to do is click the [​IMG] icon next to the "Unspecified" a select box will drop down from which you can select the genre. This requires that you have javascript enabled. Specifying does not give any points, it's still very much appreciated though.

Rating Games
    A games rating is used in the sorting algorithm of Similar Games. While appreciated, this is not a critical element, however.

2. Relys

Relys Well-Known Member

I would like to! I started writeing coments and specifing genures already! It wouldint let me rate the games thou.

Anyway if you can put up with my crappy spelling I would love to help somewhat!

3. SplinterOfChaos

SplinterOfChaos Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind the job either, but it's not like I'm the most reliable one. I'm more of the help you hire when on a need all help can get basis.

4. Seph

Rom Master: Glad you're helping out, we really appreciate it. Oh, and you're spelling isn't that bad, nothing that couldn't be fixed by actually reading what you wrote through just one time. :p

SOC: Just helping out once in a while is very nice, like if you download a game and play it then remember to go in afterwards and rate it / specify genre or whatever. Especially screenshots at the moment, having all those "Not Available" is nasty. =/

5. SonGoku1905

SonGoku1905 Well-Known Member

I'd like to contribute to the site with posting screenshots,defining genres and writing comments.
    I also have a suggestion about it
    https://www.romulation.org/forum/index.php/topic,178.0.html

6. Relys

Relys Well-Known Member

Well I am very relible for the good sites I choose to visit! When do I get that sanzzy title?

I probaly won't post many screen shot's at first b/c I just got a Flashcart. It's so much funer playing it on the real system.

7. Seph

I'm watching who posts comments actively and I will begin assigning soon.

8. Spyder

Spyder Guest

Extremely nifty and nice website you got going here, mate.
    I've downloaded far too many roms from here for me not to want to give something back.

So i'd like to help out with this :)

9. Irdion

Irdion Active Member

Glad to help on the single ROM site that isn't scamming me so far - will do what I can.

10. Irdion

Irdion Active Member

There seems to be a problem with the "Rate it!" function. Might need looking into.

11. Mr Ceiling

Mr Ceiling Member

Amazing, I was just reviewing Iridion II (GBA) when you posted.

You just need to refresh the page for the Rate It! to show up

12. Reider

Reider Modereider

When you get your SNES/NES roms back up, I'll start posting/commenting/whatever on those. ;)

If I get around to it later, I'll probably make some comments and whatnot on some PSX games too.

13. Dreamer

Dreamer Active Member

i'm posting for games I've played. So far only done Super Princess Peach and FFIII.

I've played liek 40 game so i'll post those as time goes on or when i feel lik eprocrastinating from studying.

14. jjuanml2

jjuanml2 New Member

i would be willing to take snapshots of all games or
    anything else for romulation ;D

15. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

snapshots is a start, go ahead :)

there will be other ways of helping revealed soon :)

16. Quavers

Quavers Member

First I would like to say that you have a nice site with downloads at reasonable speed. The reason I signed up as a member would because I wanted to contribute a little. I liked the idea of posting comments for games. Long ago I wrote reviews on some other sites. However, I been so busy that there is no time to write long reviews. That's why I like the idea of comments, writing a short review or just stating something about the game.

I don't the time to write comments frequently but I will try write some whether I have some time. Starting on those I played and not so many sites have information on them. That way at least people will consider trying out the less well known games. So far, I posted comments on 3 Japanese NDS games - Milon No Hoshizora Shabon - Puzzle Kumikyoku, Mawasunda & Puyo Puyo 15th Anniversary.

There are some queries that I have:
    1) For classifying into genres, what does TBS stand for?

2) There are some NDS that are not games such as dictionary & cooking manual so I don't think it fits into any stated category.

3) There are some games that cross 2 genres, for example, NDS game - Mario Vs Donkey Kong 2 - March of the Minis is an equal mixture between a platform game and a puzzle game. It plays like a platform in that it is run and jump on a plaform but it is also a puzzle game like lemmings where you have to solve by assigning movements in certain sequence etc. Thus it fits into 2 categories. Thus it there a way to have exceptions - put in 2 categories? ;D

4) Is it possible to have a delete own comment option and submit or edit option? I'm not so interested in the points portion. You could always have -2 points (take back) for deleting own comments. What I was thinking is what if one submits a comment and later decides to add in extra information about the game. You also wouldn't want to encourage one user posting too many times on a same game as some might take advantage to earn points that way.

5) For screenshots, is there a restriction on size (KB) / (Length & breath)?

17. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for your kind words, Heres a few answers for you :)

1) TBS = Turn Based Strategy (the opposite of Real-Time Strategy)

2) I will discuss this with Seph, we may create a non-game category

3) Not currently. Seph will make a decision on whether to allow that.

4) Again, not currently. I will make sure Seph is aware of your feelings on this, and it may be added for the release of RomUlation 2.0 (coming soon ;D )

5) Yes, there is a dimension restriction,but you will find that the upload process automatically resizes the pictures to comply.

Thank you for your constructive comments, and for wanting to get involved with the best romsite on the net.

Welcome to RomUlation :)

18. Seph

2) New genres aren't a problem
    3) Two categories aren't possible at this point, in the future you will be able to apply tags to a game, so perhaps you can qualify the game as a platformer and then add the tag puzzle
    4) There's nothing worse than responding to a comment which is later deleted, but I don't see why editing shouldn't be possible.
    5) The official size requirement is that of a standard scree 240x160px. But the script is borked and needs reworking.

19. Terminator

Terminator New Member

I can upload screens from these roms for psx:
    1. The Legend of Dragoon (discs 1 and 2) ;D
    2. Twisted Metal 4 :)

Let me know if you need any! 8)

20. Seph

We have made this something people will have to earn by uploading screenshots. This will be effective as of Version 2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.