1. This forum is in read-only mode.

download speed recently

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by carbonara, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

yep, both patton and I know about them, we're network engineers ourselves. While you are correct about the presence of the start and stop bits (more so with DSL than cable), they are not actually part of the data packet, and that is where you went wrong in your previous statement.

2. Tboi

Tboi Well-Known Member

Well what has this to do with the downloading speed (it's not a 'speed' at all here too)
    'Bout a week ago I downloaded a game of 40mb or more within 10 minutes.
    Then I nearly went to 1mb/s but then I only got a mere 2.58 kb/s(today) so could you say also to me why?
    (Haarlem, The Netherlands)
    Yes I'm a dutchie ;D

Groeten.
    (Bye)

3. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Tboi: You're from Europe like me so you suffer the same as I do, the congestion of the Trans-Atlantic Cable. Basically only so much can be transferred between Europe and the US, sometimes it's full, other times it's not. The best I can say is to try at hours where the US is sleeping or try again at random times.

Though right now I get 500 KB/s so it shouldn't be THAT slow.

4. Loonylion

he may still be using a different route that is congested elsewhere, or may just be a damn inefficient route.

5. Seph

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if we were having some routing issues, I'll have Jarrett look into it.

Jarrett, please look into it. :p

6. Tboi

Tboi Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info and all but I'm still at only between 4.6 and 8 kb/s so yeah it's that low :p

I hope it'll change because I was at 1mb/s a week ago ;)
    but I can't do anything about it :p

Here's a phrase that'll come in handy :
    Shit happens for a reason, but what the hell did I do wrong? :p :p

7. Loonylion

I didn't do it, no-one saw me do it, you can't prove anything :p

8. Seph

Well Tboi not everything about the internet is under our control, sadly.
    I can say that we, at the time of posting this, are using 32mbit of out connection, we've pushed 122mbit before.
    When I start a download right now I get 60kb/s. Earlier we were using the same bandwidth but I was getting 500kb/s, so obviously it's external factors that's doing this. Perhaps it's bad routing, perhaps it's congested cross atlantic cable, there could be a number of factors out of our control causing this.

9. Seph

Okay everyone with speed issues please post a trace route here or in a send on to me in a PM.

start>run>cmd> 'tracert www2.romulation.net > c:\tracert.txt'

Copy the contents of C:\tracert.txt onto here or into a PM and send it to me.

10. Patton

Patton Guest

Yes, I would like to see those tracert's.
    =)

11. adrelith

adrelith Well-Known Member

Ok, thanks for clearing that up :)