1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Does Obama deserves the Nobel Peace Prize?

Discussion in 'Debates' started by damanali, Oct 9, 2009.

1. damanali

damanali Well-Known Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_nobel_peace

Well, he is in office for only nine months, so i think its too early for him to receive it. Maybe they should wait for at least a year and re-consider if he has contributed to world peace.

So, what else do you think?

Note:
    - Think of the topic and pls refrain from using any ATTACK WORDS on the views of other. You all know who you are, so if you can't help using ATTACK WORDS, go to the RANTS FORUM!

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

way to early to say. he should not receive it during his presidency. once his term has ended, if he is judged to have earned it, then he should be awarded it.

3. damanali

I think Jimmy Carter got his Nobel peace prize a good 20 years after his presidency. but i think he got it because of his acts after his presidency. not sure about the detail, so need to research it more.

Also, the Nobel Peace Prize has some monetary included, right? Can Obama accept the money even though its from a foreign source?

4. Hypr

Hypr Well-Known Member

President Obama doesn't deserve the Nobel Peace Prize for the reason that he has nothing accomplished in his presidency yet. The Nobel Peace Prize is being awarded to President Obama prematurely as the reason why he was given the award is for two reasons: one, for presenting a more benevolent attitude towards other world nations than Bush, and two, this prize is simply the world's way of kissing Obama's ass just to make sure he stays on their good side.

Jimmy Carter earned the Nobel Peace Prize in 2002 for finding peaceful solutions to international conflicts.

And yes, Obama can accept the money earned from the Nobel Peace Prize. Which really doesn't matter as he plans to donate all of it to charity.

5. Rysio

Rysio Well-Known Member

It's just crazy... He has done absolutely nothing yet, anf they want to give him Nobel?
    "Yes, we can", I guess...

6. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

Folks should stop complaining. The Nobel Peace Prize has always been controversial. Once people realise this, it'll stop being such a big deal.

7. damanali

awww. come on tehuber, thats why i put it in debate and not in world news. so, its a simple he deserves it or not, and place after your opinion on why...

8. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

Well, not being American, I'm not exactly up-to-date on his actions. By simple virtue of his election, however, he's filled plenty of people with hope. The effects of hope are pretty intangible but evidently, it's substantial enough.

9. damanali

Thanks Tehuber!

My professor also told me that Obama, being the first african-american president, it was also a factor for him getting the award. Cause if they took back the award, some critics might use the "racist" word. and on some blogs, they also says that he won the award because of the ass-kissing and get on Obama's good side.
    Post Merge: [time]1255249955[/time]
    http://ph.news.yahoo.com/afp/20091010/ttc-nobel-peace-obama-internet-twitter-0de2eff.html

Nice jokes at the bottom. lol

10. Hypr

Hypr Well-Known Member

Why would the "racist" accusation get thrown at the Nobel Organization when black people such as Martin Luther King Jr. and Nelson Mandela have received a Nobel Peace Prize in the past? Would it make any sense to call the Nobel Organization "racists" just for revoking Obama's Nobel Prize when they have issued Nobel Prizes to black people before?

Also, blogs are not a good source of information.

11. damanali

hmm.. don't know. like i said, it "might". During the 2008 elections, i been watching the uses of the racist card, sexist card, discrimination card, so it might not be impossible to see that again in peace prize issue. Well, i only saw it in some blogs and like you said, blogs are not good source of info.

Well, that new link i gave, i found the jokes a bit funny, thats why i posted it. You dont have to comment about it. Just stick to the topic if he deserves it or not.

12. lampslammer

lampslammer Well-Known Member

13. KiraSTRiKE

KiraSTRiKE Well-Known Member

Is it just me, or has the word Peace become so diluted?

No politician should receive this prize, maybe if they abolished the state.
    But I don't imagine any of them would.

Obama should not receive said award.

14. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

No, obama doesn't deserve it.........he's just like a celebrity president........i don't believe he deserves anything!!

in a poll for my school........75% of people believe that Obama should no receive the nobel peace prize!!!!!!!!!!!!
    and that was like 5000 votes too!!!!!!

15. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

I heard somewhere that the Nobel committee awarded it to him because of the promise of peace... wtf? anyone could promise peace... and he gets this as he is preparing to send 40,000 more soldiers to Afghanistan...

16. nex26

nex26 Well-Known Member

Barack Obama's peace prize is as valuable as Joeseph Fritzl's "Dad of the Year" mug. It was a token gesture nothing else, get over it.

17. blazergame

blazergame Well-Known Member

I dont think so.. Any president could of just done the same thing.

18. Ema-tan

Ema-tan Active Member

In my opinion the committee (or whoever was responsible for the decision) is sucking up on Obama or then they did not have any other candidates in mind. Or perhaps a mix of both, though I doubt there were no other people who had contributed to peace more than Obama.

True, Obama has done some good just by being elected, but he has in no way done anything in a scale that would deserve a Nobel Peace Prize.

Most of the rewarded people have spent years working hard and had also made a fair progress. Take Ahtisaari from last year. He was rewarded for over three decades of work in variety of places.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7662922.stm

For Obama's credit, he did give the prize money away to charity. Though, I believe he wouldn't have had any real need for it in any case as he is one of the most powerful figures on earth and thus receives quite a salary.
    (Correct me if I'm wrong in this XD)

19. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

I agree with uber on this one. It's always been controversial. Arafat won a Nobel Peace Prize for shaking hands with a jew and trying to resolve the conflict in Palestine, there's easily more than just them who deserve a Nobel Peace Prize. Like that woman who saved people from the holocaust back in WWII.

I don't really know what to think about Obama getting it but I like to think he got it so he'd gain more noteriaty for peace or something. It doesn't really effect the world in any way so I don't see why I should care much.

20. theevilvoice

theevilvoice Member

A lot of people seem to think that Obama suddenly burst into existence shortly preceding his Presidency. Nobody seems to realize that he had a great track record of supporting and helping the various peoples of Darfur against the violent Genocide that is being committed against them.

That being said... he hasn't done anything yet that I feel deserves an award.

Especially if you take into consideration the US economy has only continued to decline...