1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Does Dyslexia exist

Discussion in 'Debates' started by lewis9191, Feb 15, 2011.

1. lewis9191

lewis9191 Well-Known Member

So does dyslexia exist or is it bad teaching methods or lazy learners.

With more and more people being seen to have dyslexia, is it a now an easy excuse for a child who learns different to be labelled.
    Or should we be thinking of how we can spend money to help people with dyslexia to learn through these different methods.
    Discuss.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

from what I've seen, it does exist, but perhaps not everyone diagnosed with it actually has it?

3. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

It does exist. I've had a classmate back in high school who had it, albeit at that time dyslexia was never heard of in my country. Back then our teachers would often make fun of the poor guy because of what seems to be mis-spelling errors the guy does so often when in fact "for him" the spelling of whatever he writes is correct. His main problem was with recognizing/distinguishing between "b"'s, "d"'s, "p"'s, "g"'s, "q"'s, "m"'s & "n"'s.

4. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

Cyslaxie? Nae, I bou't adont it

5. lewis9191

Maybe I should change the title to.' Is everyone diagnosed with dyslexia really have it or could it be bad teaching method and different learning styles.

Since its obvious dyslexia exist.

6. 2DamCerius

2DamCerius My eyes for your brain...fair trade.

Do you, yourself, have dyslexia?

Because I personally see that learning a new language could cause dyslexia, ahahah! XD

With that said there a number of factors here that correlate to the topic:
    1)The ability to understand information
    2)The person's own enviornment
    3)Attention deficit disorder...may be

...but this all deals with the psychology department, something that dives into neurology.

It really comes down to the individual's own issues---whether he/she has any...

Sited sources:
    http://www.dyslexia.com/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyslexia#Society_and_culture
    http://health.yahoo.net/adamcontent/developmental-reading-disorder

7. lewis9191

I KNOW DYSLEXIA EXISTS

8. 2DamCerius

Good point! Since nowadays more students come from a variety of differrent backgrounds based on culture and/or traditions, some learning methods are not exactly interpreted the same way by others.

It's kind of sad to diagnose a normal person with no records of any illness, to suddenly have this.

9. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 Well-Known Member

It does exist. I have a classmate right now which has it and he really is bad at grammar, because he really cannot do it right, because of dyslexia.

10. 2DamCerius

So what you are inferring here that dyslexia is somehow directly related to apprehension in simple cases much or less the familiar fashion of acquiring information.

I seem to have a difficult time understanding dyslexia, for it involves common factors based on the individuals habit of doing things "wrong" by its definition.

11. lewis9191

What i don't understand is that dyslexia doesnt effect the memory so why cant they just remember the correct grammar.

12. 2DamCerius

Hmmm, a fair point. But in most cases it is not exactly the use of memory at the root of the problem when dyslexia occurs, the main cause for it is a way of tackling a particular subject when the students or child are asked to acquire information.

At some stage in the brain it only processes to a point of where the person can only grasp a certain limit to what he/she could really understand or concentrate. Dyslexia occurs at the most lowest levels of cognitive thought from what I am aware of.

Again like I said before this is entirely up to the neurological department.

13. RandomRedMage

RandomRedMage Well-Known Member

I've known quite a few dyslexic people. They have no problem processing information in other forms, and can dictate and understand dictations with no issues, HOWEVER, written word seems strange to them and without actually slowing down the pace they are going at and taking things step at a time, they will read things completely wrong or out of order. I play YuGiOh, and one such fellow player of the game was in fact dyslexic. He was good at the game, But he never read his cards, He spent time with me and other friends and his mom, memorizing each card he used, based on its title, and image.

It is true that the problem of dyslexia can be mistaken because of laziness, or can even be mistakenly tacked on to the end of a list of issue since the combined issues one has may actually make it appear to have dyslexia. And it IS true that some people are just lazy and get the diagnosis out of another lazy doctors malpractice.

However those who are dyslexic can however more often than not in cases I have known, process mathematical equations much faster and more accurately than most.

14. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, of course it does.

My grandpa has it and so does my brother. My brother also has asperger's syndrome and some other things, but is to anyone who doesn't know him, he's a normal kid.

He mainly has trouble with spelling and trying to sound out words.

15. marretakkebos

marretakkebos Well-Known Member

This is the core problem of dyslexia. Not being able to "memorize" that easy. So not only words are hard to "learn" also number facts, reading time and the difference between left and right. Not that they ride the bike on the wrong side of the road, they just can't remember what that side is called.

16. goatlll

goatlll New Member

I was diagnosed with dyslexia at an early age, and the issue isn't that I can't memorize correct grammar ( as a matter of fact, my memory is pretty damn good) it's that I can apply it. There are two common problems with the perception of dyslexia, one being most people only learn about the disorder from film and popular culture, where it is rarely shown accurately, and secondly that is an excuse for people to be lazy. Disorders seldom run alone, and a person with dyslexia usually will have a few other issues, such as add. I also suffer from dysgraphia and synaesthesia. The biggest problem is that dyslexia is easy to fake, and it is an insult to those that actually have to deal with the disorder.