1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Do you have an accent

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by doughboy, Sep 28, 2010.

1. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

When I listened to one of your songs...you sounded almost like a "dixie chick".

...well at least I thought it was you, in the credits.

2. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Dixie chick? wat. You mean, southern?

3. nex26

nex26 Well-Known Member

naw, ah dinnae hae an accent, ken?

4. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

What are you talking aboot?

5. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Yeah basically...

(I didn't want to say that because I said I have it, it'd sound stupid to say it based on my accent)

6. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

In which case, I can confirm that, no, I do not have a southern accent. Also singing usually hinders or changes the accent, this goes for everyone.

7. nex26

nex26 Well-Known Member

i thought you sounded like the whale from noah & the whale.

8. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Ah...

Speaking of which, can a mic change one's voice-all these people who say i sound like a brit ,but have yet to hear me in real life?

9. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Thanks, that's exactly what I was going for.

Sort of, kind of. Although, the voice YOU hear that's coming out of your mouth can sound different from what other people hear too, ever think of that?

10. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

You sound nothing like a brit, totally aussie accent.

I have a Hull accent that differs from the rest of Yorkshire because we pronounce vowels differently and don't pronouce the letter H.

The local accent is quite distinctive and noticeably different from the rest of the East Riding; however it is still categorised among Yorkshire accents. The most notable feature of the accent is the strong I-mutation in words like goat, which is [ˈɡəʊt] in standard English and [ˈɡoːt] across most of Yorkshire, becomes [ˈɡɵːt] ("gert") in and around parts of Hull, although there is variation across areas and generations.

In common with much of England (outside of the far north), another feature is dropping the H from the start of words, for example Hull is more often pronounced 'Ull in the city. The vowel in "Hull" is pronounced the same way as in northern English, however, and not as the very short /ʊ/ that exists in Lincolnshire. Though the rhythm of the accent is more like that of northern Lincolnshire than that of the rural East Riding, which is perhaps due to migration from Lincolnshire to the city during its industrial growth. One feature that it does share with the surrounding rural area is that an /aɪ/ sound in the middle of a word often becomes an /ɑː/: for example, "five" may sound like "fahve", "time" like "tahme", etc. "Guide" and "guard" for example are therefore homophones.

The vowel sound in words such as burnt, nurse, first is pronounced with an /É›/ sound, as is also heard in Middlesbrough and in areas of Liverpool yet this sound is very uncommon in most of Yorkshire. The word pairs spur/spare and fur/fair illustrate this. The generational and/or geographic variation can be heard in word pairs like pork/poke or cork/coke, or hall/hole, which some people pronounce identically while others make a distinction; anyone called "Paul" (for example) soon becomes aware of this (Paul/pole

11. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Thanks man.

I believe the southern american story more because I had met a few in my years of kfc, if not for him being black I'd say he Should be Col. Sanders XD

12. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

My GF is a scouser so im starting to pick it up a bit, shortening my vowels in some words like plaster I used to pronounce plarster.
    Well, shes hull(ish) normally but when she's at her parents her voice changes to a full on scouse accent.

13. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

This right here. Apparently the most attractive accent in the world.

Fun fact: venom sounds nearly identical to my voice, accent and all despite his being azn.

14. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Venom's voice is sexy as all hell, I heard him, and I want more.

15. theunderling

theunderling Well-Known Member

Loony,can you do a Scottish accent

16. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

never tried.

17. Littlekill

Littlekill Well-Known Member

I have an American accent

18. basho1213

basho1213 Well-Known Member

when i was in nc before i told anyone where i was from they said i sound like im from jersey [which i am]
    so i suppose i have a jersey accent

19. _luigi_

_luigi_ Well-Known Member

dutch-english it's brilliant XD

20. buchichu

buchichu Well-Known Member

everyone has an "accent" to someone who isn't from where they are from, just to clarify. if you're an american in england, YOU'RE the one with the accent.

that being said, I live in southern ontario, we have no accents there.