1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Do people really care about their LIVES anymore?

Discussion in 'Debates' started by mds64, Jun 9, 2010.

1. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Day to day, I've encountered some strange folk, but the strangest and most common are the ones that are just "living their lives".

How is it living when your pelting down the highway half drunk?

How is it living when your doing drugs and not working?

How is it living if your simply...accelerating the chance at dying?

Sure, I'm boring compared to these people, I (as you must know) just work, save cash, go online, game and pay bills when required, but the point is I want to see what life gives me.

Ok sure, sky diving, scuba diving and maybe being a stunt man are some quick and easy deaths, but...least there is safety involved, please don't tell me that idiot down the road riding his Motor bike into our court full bore without a helmet or ANY disregard for the residents he's annoying (and the kids he nearly runs over daily :( ) think's THAT is living life?

I believe a long life is worth living, not risking my neck in such stupid things, heck out of all my friends I'm the straight edge-no smoking, drinking, no defacement of public property (wtf-throwing stuff out of a moving car just to see what a gps and a parked car can do!?)...

I don't know what to make of it all anymore.

(I'm also sick of these "debates" popping up, time for something else, I guess this could be a rant but I want to know...is living your short fuse of a life worth it by making it shorter?

EDIT:Title is now more clear to the point :p

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Re: Do people really care about "life" anymore?

theres australians that are only half drunk?!

3. nex26

nex26 Well-Known Member

how is it living when you spend most of your time infront of a screen, in one form or another.

you want to find what life gives you? how are you going to find that by sitting indoors playing computer games.

4. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Re: Do people really care about \"life\" anymore?

Not what life gives, no, I already got enough of what gives (Sick of being in the gauntlet of death every day!)

But these people wanting to really live their lives...but the way i see it they are just shortening their lives?

That isn't living, that's suicide.

The half drunk ones can still drive, the really drunk ones would of passed out before jumping into a car.
    Post Merge: [time]1276128628[/time]
    The point is do people actually care about their own lives?

Not "having fun" with them, I honestly don't care about if people are getting the full effect of life, especially if they are shortening their life spans...

And please, no aussie jokes, I live with the worst lot here (typical TRASH) so I seen it all.

5. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Why do you care so much?

Nex has a point, you're not living either, you're isolated and you work and you spend your money on games and stuff. While it isn't that dangerous, they're still buying something they enjoy or want.

And you're largely exaggerating, 'accelerating death' and stuff like that.

6. MadmanNero

MadmanNero Well-Known Member

This term of "not living life" as your trying to call it with the alcohol and drugs is being a bit stereotypical I don't know how things are where you are, but here life is a fucking miserable there are very little jobs, our economy is going to shit thanks to Bill Clinton,Bush and now Obama isn't helping it one bit.

10 to 1 anyone doing drugs or what have you are trying to escape reality or as a friend of mine puts it a tiny bit of "peace" from the bullshit. Some get by with it, others make it worse and there really isn't a damn thing anyone can do about it.

I am going to jump on the wagon with Nex and Nat (no rhyme intended :p) You want to "live life" drop the goddamn controller, go meet people that are not on a computer screen and tend to YOUR life first and leave the rest to their devices. Trust me you DO NOT want to grow old and alone and the only thing you have left is the ability think back and wish you done things differently and in a odd fashion that is a fate worse than death itself.

Oh and btw this "gauntlet of death" isn't just where you are either, and NO this is not some funny comment because of my damn avatar either. :p

Now go drink a Carlton Draught (or whatever is near you) and cheer up.

7. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

The people who do crazy stunts when their young, do it for a reason: They can't do it when they get old. Compare an 18 year old sky diving and a 45 year old skydiving. I'd think the 18 year old has a better chance of survival. But yes, it's still dangerous.

8. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

Okay, I lol'd.

The basic assumption here is you assuming that your opinion of what constitutes "living life" is true for the world in general. Plenty of people would argue that my current lifestyle of freerunning, partying and casual sex isn't living life to the fullest; that I might die and/or go to hell. Fuck those people, it works for me.

9. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

I believe in life, and being there in it.

I'm not talking about enjoying life, let's get that crap out the way, I couldn't CARE less about enjoyment of life.

Like I said in my first post.

Sky diving, scuba diving, being a stunt man yes, those are ok because there are safety standards, I'm mainly focussing on the stuff that has little to no protection.

Stupid shit like taking drugs, driving insanely fast and doing stunts while not qualified or in the correct place (ie a movie set or stunt event), starting random fights or being in gangs.

If I was talking about living life" TO THE FULLEST " that'd be a different matter.

How does one's parents think when one foolish man takes his life and several best mates just because he thinks Indians driving cabs should go to hell and ends up crashing into a tree?

How does one's Wife Feel when their husband is taking drugs that he should be touching, not cigarettes (though still bad), but say Ecstasy, etc and enjd up killing themselves due to over does or just destroying the remainder of their lives?

How does your son feel when you drink yourself to death?

How does "your bro's" feel when you got the crap beaten out of ya just because you eyed off a girl that was already taken?

THESE are what I'm on about, this is a pathetic waste, I'd probably join someone if they went car racing if I was given a full race harness in an approved track with a safety crew, cause i know that it's controlled and chance of death is minimized.

I did try on the road before in "my shit box", nearly hurt alot of people, got a speeding fine, and I lost confidence in my abilities as a driver (heck today backing out, being in a good mood I reversed out fast and nearly hit someone else backing out).

This is NOT "enjoy" life, this is about BEING alive as in your heart is beating!

10. MadmanNero

^ I am not even going to bother quoting but still the question stands why in the hell are you worried about it so? There is not a damn thing that can be done about it, it's terrible how some people are and actually I can add quite a few more "how would it feel..." that would down right sicken people that I have witnessed personally all I have to say is welcome to the real world. It pisses me off, but I don't stress my self over it and it would be grand if things were different but you can't stop a tsunami, and try raising 5 kids "knowing" how the world is these days and keeping a smile on your face as everything is just fucking peachy out there.

11. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

The reason I worry is because, while there are people I'd like to see die right now, is because i belive that life is sacred, no one needs to know that a loved one died while they were doing something else or away.

And alot of what my mates do is quite questionable, as well as what I done in the past-mind you I've always been a straight edge, but before I started calling myself emo I was as dumb as any other teen, just trying to have fun where ever.

And the few moments I watch of the news (which i hate) shown me how bad it's gotten, you'd think some of these people would stop acting like morons and think about not only themselves but others...

They'd be willing to bash someone to death if said person was merely calling a mate of their's names, and yet no one stops them if they are driving around in an un-road worthy car that's a ticking timb bomb that does indeed go BOOM, if they survive they might end up doing it again.

Case in point-I read a story where one idiot had the licence plate "hoon", he crashed it while going too fast, lost an arm, and he reckons he'll be back driving, with no change other than the fact he's forced to drive automatic cars.

People like this annoy me greatly, now...you'd think I'd enjoy him killing himself and thus another stain removed from our lives...

But what if he crashes into me, or my brother, a mate, etc...it's this that keeps me up at night, thinking...what if...

A few times me, father, mother or brother have come close to death because someone else was careless, or one of us being just AS careless (mum used to do back to back shifts, day and night, no sleep and driving, her car came up with dents all over...I was amazed she never fully fell asleep while driving).

It's my mere concern about life for my interest, friends interest, and innocent people's interest that concerns me, if the person had no family that cared, was being a bad guy all his life (killed people, stole from other's without remorse), and hung himself from a tree then perhaps I wouldn't care so much even though I'd normally stop someone from ending their lives.

I had to do so a few times, it's kinda scary knowing people are on breaking point...been there...

12. MadmanNero

one thing you will learn, is everybody's ticket has already been punched it's just the detestation is unknown, and as for this "breaking point" you haven't seen anything yet.

13. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

Meh. I freerun simply because it's exhilarating. It's dangerous. It's fast. And there's a very real possbility that if I push too hard or misjudge a gap I could get severely injured.

People do things like this because it's fun. Not saying that people who motorcycle with no protection whatsoever (for example) aren't stupid, but that's precisely why they do it - stupidity. You learn to live with it, and everyone has their own interpretation of an acceptable risk anyway.

14. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

"Living life" is different to everyone. Some people like to just live a happy life, stay home, eat cheese, stuff like that. While other people born stuntmen go sky diving and all those. If they've been doing it all their life, it's practically how they live their life.

15. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

You watched the news, and it's shown you how bad it's gotten?

You just bought into the news, the news usually only likes negative news stories.

16. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

you have to try everything good and bad to appreciate life or what you think you like/know/enjoy could be totally wrong.
    do all the bad stuff whilst your young and use the experiences to learn and grow.

17. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Only a portion has actually gotten to me, the rest I seen/had close encounters.

The replies are starting to make more sense to what i was aiming for...especially this.

Makes sense to me.

18. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Picking out the arguments about the points you agree with and leaving out the rest don't work you know.

While I agree that a lot of what you say are because of idiots that won't learn at that point in time (meaning they probably will later), but a lot of associated risks aren't necessarily a bad thing. Drinking, drugs and sex aren't necessarily a bad thing, if I haven't dipped my adolescent existence into those pools, I wouldn't be the person I am today. I would have met my husband otherwise. And granted, I did have a lot of fun with these decisions, risks involved. I have done dangerous things before; like driving an ATV without a helmet; drove fast; gone on my bike extremely, extremely fast; eaten Mcdonalds; been extremely intoxicated; took hallucinogenic drugs; drove while being high (not my proudest moment); egged houses; egged people; and shot a man. But I'd be lying if I didn't have fun, the additional risks add an excitement you cannot get elsewhere (forgot to add exhibitionism).

To deprive a human without this adrenaline isn't exactly a good thing, it helps define who that person is.

How come you're able to criticize their lifestyle choice, while we can't? A long life may not necessarily mean living a full or happy life, meanwhile a short one has the potential to be full and/or happy. Meaning, if I were to die right at this moment, I'd be able to say that my life was complete, my purpose has been 90% filled and it has been a relatively happy existence.

19. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Preety much all after I said "breaking point" was what I was on about, I didn't think about the stupidity part...I was thinking about the fact that people say it's fun.

The stuff above though wasn't what i was asking about exactly, it DID relate but not what I was asking.

20. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

You realize by implying "living their lives" comes with these types of responses. They're still applicable to the discussion at hand.