1. This forum is in read-only mode.

DirectX 12

Discussion in 'General News' started by Dark Infernape, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Dark Infernape

Dark Infernape Raiden 雷電

[​IMG]

[quote author=PC Gamer Magazine]DirectX 12 promises both dramatically increased performance in games, thanks to reduced CPU overhead and better support for multithreading, and significantly reduced power consumption, a real boon for owners of gaming laptops. It will of course be built into Windows 10 and compatible with Windows 8 as well, but the news isn't so good for Windows 7 diehards.
    Speaking at a PDXLAN presentation earlier this month, AMD's Chief Gaming Scientist Richard Huddy said Windows 7 remains Microsoft's most popular operating system: 52 percent of all Microsoft OS users are still on Windows 7, and that number is actually growing. "It's a very, very popular operating system," he said in comments starting around the 20:30 mark of the video.
    But in spite of that, or perhaps because of it, he continued, "One thing that's not going to happen to it is DX12. Yup, DX12 is not coming to Windows 7."

The Steam hardware survey confirms the popularity of Windows 7—47.8 percent of users run the 64-bit version, compared to 21.4 percent for the second-place finisher, Windows 8.1 64-bit—but the lack of compatibility isn't entirely surprising. It's getting a bit long in the tooth, and as we noted in its announcement, Microsoft isn't shy about using new, better APIs to "encourage" people to upgrade to a new version of Windows. Let us also not forget that Microsoft announced this past spring that mainstream support for Windows 7 will come to an end in January 2015.
    Windows 8 obviously hasn't caught fire and at this point obviously isn't going to, so I would expect Microsoft to be more aggressive in pushing Windows 10. But if DirectX 12 can actually deliver on its promise, I'd be willing to bet that a lot of us Win7 laggards won't really mind.
    [/quote]

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Re: DirectX 12 will not be supported by Windows 7

dx10 wasn't officially available for xp either, but third parties made it work, I would expect the same to happen here.

3. Dark Infernape

Dark Infernape Raiden 雷電

http://www.pcgamer.com/windows-10-leaked-build-reveals-new-xbox-app/

4. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

Great, another App I'll be uninstalling after setup.

5. Dark Infernape

Dark Infernape Raiden 雷電

Windows 7 and 8.1 PCs will get direct upgrade to Windows 10

http://www.in.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/Windows-7-and-8-1-PCs-will-get-direct-upgrade-to-Windows-10/articleshow/45764827.cms

6. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

The question now is... Will this be a free upgrade or not? :p

Either way, not interested.

On that note, Windows 7 will no longer be supported by Microsoft come next week (January 13th) so there will no longer be any system updates afterwards.

7. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

Great! That would means my WIN7 computers will be out dated. I haven't the money to buy new computer. Damn!

8. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Actually you don't need a new computer for this issue regarding Win 7, the OS will still function regardless. We will just not get any newer system updates from Microsoft is all.

I'm having a difficult time finding his response regarding this issue but loony once said the same thing on another similar topic.

9. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

I know, but it certainly means our computer will be vulnerable in the near future. And I can't upgrade my computer to Win8 or newer for the simple reason of not wanting to go through the trouble of moving years of accumulated files to an external drive, not to mention I don't want to part with the software I had installed here which likely won't be compatible with the new OS.

10. Loonylion

not until after 2020.

11. Niflheim

Niflheim Horrible evil rat

win 7 will still get security updates

12. Dark Infernape

Dark Infernape Raiden 雷電

13. Loonylion