1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Dedicated handheld - or handheld device - that can run/handle PS2 and GC?

Discussion in 'Gaming Lounge' started by M_U_Lations, Mar 29, 2015.

1. M_U_Lations

M_U_Lations Active Member

I'm more than happy with the many libraries that PSP and DS w/card provide me and mine, but maaannnn, to be able to run PS2 and GC...Resident Evil 4, RE remake, Onimusha, etc.etc....seems like a dream, to me.

I know about the tablets and pads, my wife has the latest models, (she works for Apple) but dammit I can't stand that touch screen crap. :( Are there similar devices with proper controls that are open-ended and ready to roll?
    (And I have seen those chimpy little stick-on joysticks and such...meh...not for me.)

What about that WiiU controller? Can that be somehow hacked to run roms/isos?

For that matter, I have this cell here, 'LG G3 Verizon', that just sits here collecting dust. If I have to rub the screen to play a game, I want nothing to do with it.
    (this is a white phone that I got as a gift last year....as for my wife, she has several different devices...'iPhone' this and 'Air Pad' that, ha...beats the hell outta me but they haven't got proper controls!)

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I'm not aware of any portable devices with the power to emulate gc or ps2 well. You could try building your own based on a raspberry pi 2 (quad core 900mhz, 1GB ram) if there's a ps2 emulator for ARM7, but other than that I don't think theres anything that meets your very specific criteria (and I prefer real controls also).

3. M_U_Lations

"Building my own" and "Quad Cores" you say? Yikes - I'm a total Luddite with that tech stuff! :-[ A month or so ago, I'd have had a chuckle about the 'raspberry pi' thing, heh, but have since learned that (apparently?) this is the naming system/code for something. My wife was trying to explain just what was being called by these food names, but dammit if I didn't get most of what she was saying!
    (She also told me that Apple uses mountain ranges for their 'code names'...or something like this...)

Not to sound a bit spoiled or entitled, but I'm honestly a little shocked that in this amazing technological age we don't have handhelds able to run PS2 and GC at the ready.

Side note: I see 'Admin' under your name...are you an owner/operator of this place, as well? (I have no clue how all that works...)

4. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

Loonylion is the admin along with Seph. The site owner is Seph.

5. M_U_Lations

Ah, that clears it up, thanks.

6. Loonylion

Raspberry Pi is cheap single board computer designed for teaching children about programming and electronics, but its used the world over for all kinds of projects. I have several that I use for various different things. The reason I suggested it is because it can run from battery, is easy to add buttons etc to and a small screen attachment can be bought for it. It also runs a pre-existing OS that's well supported, so you wouldn't be starting from nothing. It remains to be seen if there's a Linux (an OS, a variant of which the PI runs) emulator that can run on ARM (a type of low power processor often used in smartphones and various other consumer electronic devices) for the systems you want to emulate.

7. M_U_Lations

Thanks for the info, Loonylion, but I gotta be honest with ya, I only understood about 40% of that. I'm having trouble grasping the terms and even the concepts, so building something like this would be out of the question.

Just so I don't feel like a complete moron (lol): Are you talking about dedicated devices like that 'Dingo', and those ones that look like knockoff PSPs, or?

Thanks -

8. Loonylion

to which of my posts are you referring?

9. M_U_Lations

The very last one... "pi", "Lenux", "ARM", "OS", etc.etc.. I'm really not exaggerating one single bit when I say that I have very little to NO clue about this stuff. Up until now, what I was doing was pretty much flying by the seat of my pants with the 'drag/drop' thing and getting help where I could.

With my (former) tech guy, it went pretty much like this: I'd give him trade goods/gifts/cash, tell him what exactly I wanted, and he facilitated everything. (thats when he would accept said compensation, very modest fellow)
    I have very large hands and don't exactly have the fine touch of a microsurgeon, so I would of course prefer to send along a system or systems, some chips, and say "here ya GO - make these games magically appear and function properly!" :p

I'm also very curious about things like films, YouTube videos, and other stuff. Especially with the PSPs, I have a feeling there is a whole other world out there that I am missing by only using these powerful devices to play 8 and 16-bit games...

10. Loonylion

Raspberry PI is a name much like Ford, or Dell. PI is also a mathematical constant (3.142... the relationship between the dimensions of a circle)

Linux is a free (of charge, and also free use, meaning you can do whatever you like with it (except sell it under most circumstances) and modify it however you want) operating system (see below) that can run on a wide variety of different hardware platforms, ranging from desktop computers, to servers, mainframes, smartphones, and lots of consumer electronic devices. Chances are your internet router runs some form of it.

an OS, or Operating System, is the basic programing that makes a computer/device work. IOS on your wife's idevices is an example of an OS. MacOS is an OS, Windows is an OS, and there are others.

ARM is a type of computer processor made by a British company called ARM Holdings (technically they don't make them, they license the designs out to other companies to make) which is very popular in consumer electronics because they're very low power and are therefore good for devices that need to run from batteries or run all the time. the name can also refer to the architecture (design) of such processors, meaning even though the processor might have a different name (like the Qualcomm Snapdragon used in many smartphones), it's still an ARM processor.

11. M_U_Lations

Ohhhh, I see. (not really, but I can try and absorb!)

Thanks for all the helpful info, man. 8)