1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Controller drifts left?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by faune, Feb 12, 2010.

1. faune

faune Well-Known Member

This is my second Xbox 360 wireless controller in less than a year. Both have had the same exact problem--maybe it's excessive usage, maybe M$ just makes their shit to break so you'll be forced to replace it, who really knows. Basically if I tap left on my left analog stick it'll get "stuck" with going left and the only way to reverse it is to tap hard to the right with the same analog stick. I play a lot of shooters so it makes sniping very difficult. Is there any way to fix it, maybe by taking the controller apart? I have a Torx T8 security screwdriver and I've been in to some controllers before so I know what to expect. If anyone has any information please let me know.

2. super_pastafari32

super_pastafari32 Well-Known Member

it happened to me too.

try:

1. not leave the analog to the left when you turn off the console
    2. Do not tap the analog very strong
    3. seeks to prevent falls
    4. Use it with batteries not very old or in poor load (you know)

if you want to repair it:

number 1 and the more important. if you have no experience with it and do not know how. better carry it with a profecional

(simple solution but can always be risks) 2. Carefully open your control. (check if it is broken some part in the control) clean it (more help than you think) and close it

need more details to tell you more, but I guess that helped a bit, if not then, better go with a prefecional near you

3. faune

faune Well-Known Member

It's not about mashing hard to the left, even the slightest movement will set it off and it will get stuck in the left motion until I tap right. :/

Doesn't matter, I got brave enough to finally take apart my "good" controller (since it's no longer in perfect condition), cleaned it, still have the problem.

4. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Second controller...did you send it to microsoft the first time?

Prehaps it's a refurbished one, I'd send it back demanding a new one.

5. faune

faune Well-Known Member

Wow, never thought about that.. but I already removed the sticker where the screw is and took it apart, wouldn't that void any kind of warranty on it?

6. Littlekill

Littlekill Well-Known Member

yeah warranty is void as fuck, i had this issue on my n64, no idea if theres a way to fix it

7. razgrizglenn

razgrizglenn Well-Known Member

Well, this happened with my PSP's analog stick. It was just some debris and dust on it though, so I was able to "fix" it myself by opening it up and cleaning it. I'd give it a try.

8. faune

faune Well-Known Member

That's what I've done and with no luck.

9. CloudBoii12

CloudBoii12 Well-Known Member

This issue is actually VERY common, I've fixed it on about 5 or 6 of my mates' controllers.
    Firstly, you'll need to replace the batteries. Try it again, very often low battery is the cause.
    Another method is my "Push/Pull" method. Basically, push in the analog stick then pull it out, multiple times, with the last two or three of them slightly pushing the analog stick to the right.
    A third is my "FFP" Method, or FlickFlickPalm. Hold the controller from the left handle, and flick the analog stick twice. Then, hit the bottom of the controller with your palm.
    A final method - if you're absolutely needy - is to open up an XBox controller, and replace the one in your 360 with the old one.
    Your warranty's void anyway, so why not?
    Speaking of replacing, maybe get the other analog stick off your X1 controller and keep it as a spare?
    :)
    if you need anything else, give me a buzz.

10. razgrizglenn

razgrizglenn Well-Known Member

That could problably fix it, if the stick was just badly positioned inside of the controller's board or something, but considering we do not know what is causing the problem, that might make matters worse.

Personally, I think the stick itself might be the problem, so replacing it seems like a sound idea (if you still have that other wireless controller, I'd go for it).

11. faune

faune Well-Known Member

Ooh it's Cloudboii, I think I remember you?

Anyway, I use rechargeable battery packs. I've got two of 'em and a charging station, so that's definitely not the issue.

I've tried some similar methods.. I read somewhere that if you turn the controller off, hold the analog stick going right, and turn it back on, it fixes the problem, but I haven't had any luck. I'll try the second and third methods--do these offer temporary cures or should they fix it for good?

Not sure what you mean by the last one--are you saying take out the analog stick from an original Xbox controller? If so, I don't have one of those--I never owned an original Xbox, I was always a Sony fan so naturally I had a PS2. I have two Xbox 360 controllers and they both drift left.

12. super_pastafari32

yes but could ocur the same problem in the oposite direction xD

you bether putthe analog in the center and meke a manual reset of the controler but i dont remember how to do it

(sorry i dont help)

13. XtremeBlade

XtremeBlade Well-Known Member

This has happened to two of my controllers, only way I could ever fix the problem was by buying a new one. Sucks, but nothing much we can do about it.

14. nex26

nex26 Well-Known Member

Clean the analogue contact with alcohol.

15. Littlekill

Littlekill Well-Known Member

Vodka preferably

16. super_pastafari32

or if you dont got money just use beer (why not ??? )

17. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Beer has too much crap in it to clean. You might as well be using coke or pepsi.

Vodka is a cleaner alcohol.

18. super_pastafari32

so vodka is good for clean?

wow i din't know it

19. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Not as good as pure rubbing alcohol.

20. cuccio123

cuccio123 Well-Known Member

Funny as someone thinks this comment is, its secretly a multi-platform conspiracy that started back with the N64 and PS to get more money.
    :\