1. This forum is in read-only mode.

COICA passed through senate.

Discussion in 'General News' started by personuser, Nov 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

quite possibly.

2. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

QUICK, EVERYONE JUMP ON THE INDIGNANT BANDWAGON

Unless the bill has been drastically revised since I reviewed it, it's really not as severe as people are making it out to be.

It is noteworthy though that the bill has actually passed, which says a lot about US senators and their technical understanding. Leaders who do not remain up-to-date with society are worthless.

3. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

So what, I'm (Singaporean) safe as long as I (from now on) don't pirate shit?

4. personuser

personuser Well-Known Member

Obama said publicly in a speech "We need to support the Anti Counterfeit Trading Act" (ACTA) a while back.

If he supports ACTA, he's probly supporting what has been called "ACTA's successor".

All I have to say is, my computer full of animu could not have died at a worse time. Thank god I was able to save all my roms tho.

5. darkrequiem

darkrequiem Well-Known Member

Indeed....We have so many leaders here who are computer illiterate. They are, for the most part, at the level of the average internet user. I mean average using Facebook and Twitter, etc.
    They should not govern what they don't understand, but they do and will continue to.

It's not that severe yet.

And yeah, Obama probably backs this, despite his party affiliation. So no veto from him.

6. personuser

personuser Well-Known Member

A new challenger has appeared?

7. dedboy

dedboy Guest

He's but one against many. I hope others will join this senator. If he causes enough attention to it, it might have a chance at at least getting repealed.

8. darkrequiem

darkrequiem Well-Known Member

Indeed, and unfortunately, one almost always loses.
    He'd better get support from others senators soon, or this bill will be enforced.
    It will take a while before anything serious occurs with this bill, yet I am surprised at it's quick passing.

9. dedboy

dedboy Guest

I'm not. By passing it quickly, they can shuffle the court of public opinion. That way no one will question the nature of the bill, and they can institue judgment quicker.

If the government feels like they are losing money, in anyways possible, they will erase anything that stands in their way of making a profit.
    And in their eyes, we are the anything.

10. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

It has apparently changed, just so you know. It's not blocking address resolution at the domain level thanks to ISPs. It's blocking IP resolution by removing the DNS entries from all DNS servers situated in America. It's not like removing a signpost; it's like removing every single road into a town.

I'll go find the latest wording of the Act and have a read later.

11. tehuber1337

The PC World article mentions that it hasn't actually passed full senate yet, which means it hasn't really "passed" and there's nothing to repeal. It also says that individual senators can prevent bills from passing. According to Wikipedia they can hold bills indefinitely for whatever reason.

This page says there's only one version, and indeed it appears to be the same as when I read it for the other thread.

They're not removing DNS entries from each DNS server in America; that would be impractical. They're removing the domain name registration itself, so after DNS servers refresh you won't be able to reach an infringing website with its domain name. As I said in the other thread, if you know a site's IP address for some reason (and I don't think it's that hard to find out anyway), you'll be fine. ISP blocking would be worse (*cough cough*), as that would be like removing the roads.

12. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

But my bad anyway, I forgot the function of DNS servers. I blame terminal exhaustion and a lack of interest in the workings of the internet.

13. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

when it passes, the dark age of the internet will begin. so much for the internet being "free" as it is intended to be.

14. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

They can only do that for domains registered by an American registrar.

15. tehuber1337

Well yeah. Obviously an American bill can only be enacted in America.

Interestingly GovTrack now lists a second version of the bill now that it's been reported by the judiciary committee. They don't have the text up yet though, so I don't know what revisions (if any) have been made.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.