1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Chrono Trigger remake

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by thebass324, Jul 2, 2008.

1. thebass324

thebass324 Well-Known Member

You definitely need to play through it, it is one of the necessities for anyone that likes RPGs. It was created by a team consisting of the masterminds from both Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest teams during the SNES era, enough said.

2. sonicblaze

sonicblaze New Member

[facepalm]

Go play the original NAO >:O!

Oh, I just realized that the countdown isn't all seconds :p My bad
    So that means that the countdown is over at... 7 tomorrow morning. Awesome 8)

3. thebass324

Well, there is now a promotional video on http://www.chronotrigger.jp/, it looks like they are keeping the original graphics afterall so there's nothing new in there to those who have played the other versions. Although, I have heard from several sources that there is supposed to be a new dungeon like we have all been hoping for.

4. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Hey don't forget, Akira Toriyama , Mr. Dragonball was the guy who made the Character & monster Designs in Chrono Trigger ;D

That's why I kinda didn't like Chrono Cross, it was done by some other douche! :p

5. thebass324

Yep, he did most of the artwork in the Dragon Quest series too.

6. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Actually, when Dragon Quest was started, the staff at Enix, literally begged Akira Toriyama to design the Art work for the games, as he was acclaiming fame with his Anime like Dragonball, Go Go Ackman & that other Comedy anime of his Doctor.. something, I forgot the rest.

Also, if you guys haven't found out yet, because Akira Toriyama had exclusive rights to all the Dragon Quest Artwork, he was able to produce a Dragon Quest spin off anime!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHm0RXQ_nTI

There is another Dragon Quest Anime, but according to the people who commented on the youtube video, it was made by another fellow.

Oh & there was also a Chrono Trigger spin off OVA, "Nuumamonjya: Adventures of Time & Space" ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oRpCjKoPps

7. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Chrono Cross isn't meant to be anything like Chrono Trigger. Play it..

The video on the official site, looks wicked. They're staying with the same style, and same intro.

8. Cahos Rahne Veloza

I've actually played & finished, but got only the "bad Ending" of Chrono Cross, which is why I couldn't add it to my list of games I've conquered & it never attained my expectations:

1. The Character design wasn't up to par with Chrono Trigger, I was really hoping they'd have Akira Toriyama on the Team again :(
    2. There were too many characters! 50 or so
    3. It was way short, in terms of story, not actual game play.
    4. The Final Battle with Time Devourer (which by the way isn't Lavos, it's actually the "broken" Mammon Machine that had Schala in it) was very annoying. I mean casting "colored Spells" in a specific order then casting "Chrono Cross", really annoying. Add to this time devourer casting random spells messing you up, urgh!
    5. That color spell system, terrible! Each Spell could only be cast once!
    6. The way you got better weapons, which was similar to FF9's synthesis method
    7. The fact that "duo" & "Triple techs were only available after you've finished the game once & later unlocking them.

As for Chrono Trigger DS, they can't possibly redo the game's artwork that easily, unless they ask for Akira Toriyama's permission, after all, they're his creations.

9. anandjones

Here is the trailer (I know you can just watch it on the site, but it's hell easier to load and watch) http://youtube.com/watch?v=8HI5pI0IZgo

10. Cahos Rahne Veloza

You know, the only complaint I have with this video is they AGAIN left out Magus on the character Roster :p

I loved Magus man, 'cause he's into the Dark side ;D

11. anandjones

Magus is wicked, you can choose whether or not to have him on your team and control him. Magus, Robo and Frog were the best three to use, no Crono, as he died, and I simply couldn't get past Death Peak. This was a few years ago. I was playing it on a emulator you see. Then the new Snes9x came out which fixed that problem. And then I lost the save. A year later, I did Death Peak again. I got the egg. Yay.

12. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Magus wasn't intentionally Evil/wicked anand, he just had to be a bad dude, so he can take revenge on Lavos. The whole conquering Gualdia 6ooAD was only a ploy so he can summon & kill Lavos.

In "Radical Dreamers" he was this aloof cool headed guy who was always looking after his sister's clone, Kid.

Speaking of Combos, here's my (spoiler) favorite attack team versus the Final Boss:

Chrono's Confuse four strike slash
    Eira's Triple Kicks or Her on Testosterone by using Frenzyband (or was it rageband?) and
    Robo's Uzi Punches

Beating Lavos Core, Bit & Walker:

My tactic is to first use Confuse on Lavos Bit (the crud on the left) once it's down, I uzi Punch Lavos Core (the one on the left) to "shut off its defenses", then I make everyone beat it up, I seldom pay attention to Lavos Walker (that Freeza looking guy on the middle) or atleast kill it once. To make things even more fun, I sometimes equip Eira the accessory that makes her act on her own with twice the power so she can deal 9,999 damage!

13. thebass324

I'm sure everyone agrees how awesome Magus is, but since he's a somewhat secret character I'm sure that's why he always gets left out.

14. Cahos Rahne Veloza

But the game's 13 years old now & I'm sure Magus is no longer such a secret character as is Gogo was in Final Fantasy 6 ;D

15. thebass324

Very true, especially seeing how Vincent Valentine got his own game and shows up in Advent Children alongside Yuffie, who also played a role in Crisis Core.

16. kanwarrulz_123

kanwarrulz_123 Well-Known Member

And how Vicent Valentine got his own username. :D

17. thebass324

Haha, I was debating whether or not I should mention you too. ;)

18. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

pssshhhhh nobody likes yuffie.

vincent got his own game but i still don't think it was that great.
    (although I had a badass sniper rifle that killed everything in one hit besides bosses).

19. anandjones

Here are the controls being used.

* Select - Not used
    * Start - Display pause Menu
    * L/R - Change menu pages and categories, escape from battle (holding R+L)
    * X - Open Menu
    * A - Talk, examine, confirm
    * Y - Change message window position
    * B - Dash (use with control pad), cancel
    * Touch screen - Touch the screen to move the character, select menu items
    * D-pad - Move the character/cursor

And of course you can play using the Touchscreen, but I'd rather use the keys.

There's also going to be a singlescreen version of Chrono Trigger DS, like the original SNES game. You probably could choose which screen you want it to be played on in-game, such as top or bottom, and you probably could still use the touchscreen if it was on the bottom.

20. thebass324

Cool, now that you mention it, I realize that all the screenshots I've seen so far have only been using one screen. Maybe they're allowing a screen to be shut off to save battery life so that you can play longer. ;D