1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Can't seem to get burned games to work?

Discussion in 'Non-Emulation Help' started by NFMO, Sep 11, 2015.

1. NFMO

NFMO Member

So, I've got this PS1 since I was a kid. It has a modchip and several burned games THAT work. Some of them, with time, have stopped working so I decided to buy some CD-R and burn the games again.

Strangely enough, I can't seem to get it to work.
    Burned 5 or 6 discs with different games, different regions, and they don't work!

Tried playing them on a emulator and they worked, what is happening?

2. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

The most probable cause is either your PSOne's reading lens mechanism is getting worn out or the discs you've burned didn't come out right for the console to read 'em. You see, the thing is when burning PSX ISOs onto disc you need to burn both of the game's .cue and .bin or .iso files in order for the console to read the game. Also, always burn your PSX game on the slowest possible speed your burner can burn, if you can go as slow as 1x then you'll be fine.

3. NFMO

NFMO Member

Re: Can\'t seem to get burned games to work?

Hello Cahos, what I've done is I've burned at the slowest speed, and also, after unpacking the .cue and .bin files that came together in a zip file, I've burned the .cue file onto the disc with ImgBurn. Anything I've done wrong?
    Post Merge: [time]1441991350[/time]
    And besides, what I think is really weird is while that the reading lens might be getting old and worn out since it has many years, why does it read really well old discs and now it doesn't read new burned ones? Could this be the cause that makes some of my old games not being read anymore?

4. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Re: Can\'t seem to get burned games to work?

Wait... you only burned the .cue files and not the .img files as well? You need both together on the same disk for it to work properly.

PSX reading lenses were not designed to read CDRs specifically back in the day the console was at its prime, those older games you owned might not be CDR burned copies IF you bought them in the black market et al, pirate game vendors because in those days pirated PSX games were not made with CDRs but instead were stamped onto legit CD discs. PSX Piracy was a huge underground industry back in the late 90's and pirates mass produced pirated CD disc with machines technically similar to what the legit recording industry uses. So that's why your older games work and new games you burn onto CDRs are a bit finicky to get working correctly. Unless of course you started using CDR burned games early on.

5. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

did you burn as an image or as a data disc?

6. NFMO

NFMO Member

I burned as a image, with ImgBurn. ( i.imgur.com/f5TaYnP.png )

Cahos, what do you mean by both .cue and .img? I only have .cue and .bin? ( i.imgur.com/sl21XOY.png )

7. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Argh~!

I meant .bin not .img I apologize for that sorry :(

8. NFMO

NFMO Member

Don't worry, thanks for the help you've been giving me.

So, do I have to burn each one of them, one at a time?

Isn't .cue basically a instructions file to tell ImgBurn how to burn the .bin?

9. Loonylion

Yes, if you burned the .cue file in image mode then you did it correctly. What brand media are you using and what speed are you burning at?

10. NFMO

NFMO Member

I'm using Verbatim AZO CD-R (Crystal); (700 mb; 52x speed vitesse; 80 min), and I've both burned as 1x, and in another try I burned at x24

11. Loonylion

don't burn above 4x, PSX consoles tend not to like that. Verbatim is a good brand so I'm not sure why its not working.

12. NFMO

NFMO Member

God, it's annoying. I was hoping I could have played some games and relived some childhood moments. That's really sad. If anyone has a suggestion, please leave it. I can use all the help I can get. Thanks anyway for all the support!

13. Cahos Rahne Veloza

For now you can either:

1. Look for and buy legit/original copies of those old games you want to play badly on ebay, or

2. Just play those games in ISO format on your computer using epsxe. Most notably because the emulator is nearly almost perfect.

14. NFMO

NFMO Member

Well, I have to admit, you guys helped me a lot even though I didn't solve my problem (well, there's really no solution either)
    I'm really greatful for that! Thanks a lot, guys!