1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Can't seem to burn games and play on my PS1. Weird logo appears.

Discussion in 'Non-Emulation Help' started by rizefall, May 3, 2012.

1. rizefall

rizefall Active Member

Then could you analyze the errors i posted and maybe tell me what the problem is?

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

at a guess its your burner trying to be too clever. The sectors in question probably don't conform to what a PC would expect, so the burner 'corrects' them, preventing the resulting disc from working on the PSX.

3. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

Which reminds me, there's Alcohol 120% with PSX burn settings.
    I totally forgot that the PSX discs purposely have errors that are flagged by the typical burning program.

It's been so long that I actually have all of my PSX backups burned through Alcohol 120% and not Imgburn.

@rizefall,
    If you send me a whole copy-pasted diagnostic log, I probably won't read it. Anything that's more than say 10 lines of non-English (and by that I mean English in an incoherent manner), and I probably won't read that either.

Try Alcohol 120% and see if that solves your issue.

4. rizefall

rizefall Active Member

So how do you burn with Alcohol 120%?

5. Void

Void Well-Known Member

Does the image run in an emulator? If it does not, it is a problem with the image.

If it does, it is a problem with the disc, the console, or the modchip. Does the burned disc work in an emulator? If it does not, it is a problem with the disc.

If it does, it is a problem with the console or the modchip. Does the burned disc work using the playstation "swap trick" to exploit security measures? If it does not, it is a problem with the console.

If it does, it is a problem with the mod chip.

(I'm baked and cbf reading all these replies, just a basic diagnosis idea).

6. insanecrazy07

Simple logic, yes, except that if I recall, the PSX discs need to be burned a certain way that the emulator doesn't give two shits about. Meaning that your disc will probably pass the emulator check but not the console check.

7. Void

Void Well-Known Member

Right well did you notice this?

W 14:54:01 Write Speed Miscompare! - Wanted: 176 KB/s (1x), Got: 1 764 KB/s (10x) / 4 234 KB/s (24x)

Because he set the write speed lower than the minimum capability of the drive or storage media imgburn compensated automatically. Why two write speeds? I haven't the slightest idea but I'd try a burn manually set to 10x write speed instead to ensure that it's actually writing at the slowest possible rate.

8. insanecrazy07

Right. His burner can't burn at lower speeds. 10x is probably way too fast to burn accurately for a PSX disc. I think it's indicative of his burner quality. Sure, I've burned a few at 24x but then again, my burner can also burn at the lower speeds like x4, x6, x8. My guess is that only burners that can burn at lower speeds can burn the disc correctly regardless of speed.

9. Void

Void Well-Known Member

Yeah. I was just trying to suggest that maybe it wasn't actually writing at 10x since it lists 10x and 24x as the modified write speed variable since 1x isn't available. I don't know what is actually occuring during the write because of that, but manually limiting it to 10x would seem to relieve the possibility that it is writing up to 24x. I also have burned several 8x PSX games and had them run before so 10x doesn't seem that outlandish.

Just making suggestions, though. I haven't burned a PSX game in years.

10. insanecrazy07

Same here. It's been years since I last burned a CD-R. I went to go burn one for my car, and yeah, no CD-Rs laying around.

11. Void

Void Well-Known Member

While I'm thinking of it, it might be worth trying another disc too. I bought a large amount of Sony CD-Rs a couple years ago and they actually didn't fucking work. Burning audio would sometimes work to some degree but never would a disc burn 100% properly no matter what. I tried multiple applications for burning, multiple devices for burning, multiple devices for playback, multiple discs, etc. They just blew. I never had the problem with any other CD-R/DVD-R I've purchased, and I've purchased quite a few different kinds. So I suppose shit storage media is always a possibility. And also Sony seriously sucks.

12. rizefall

rizefall Active Member

Thanks for all the replys!

I will test all this as soon as i can :)

13. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I've never had issues using any brand of CD-R (or even unbranded ones) for general use, but I assume theres a reason why people always say TDK or Verbatim for PSX games.