1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Can your downloads be tracked

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RobbyMartyr, Dec 6, 2009.

1. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

If you use torrents yes.

Some torrents are tracked by companies waiting to send an email warning you.

Torrent programs, while good, reveal your ip adress and thus makes you a target.

This is why I prefer direct downloads since site's like this aren't tracked, nintendo apparently shut down this site before but have come back.

Ea and THQ send cease and desist letters to romUlation every now and then about certain games, if romU does what they ask they are fine, if not, they get shut down.

Easy-your safe here :)

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

torrents are rarely tracked, and IP address monitoring is of limited accuracy.

3. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

ISP's cause trouble when you are using excessive bandwidth. RomU is hosted in a different country of which laws are different than USA laws.
    RomU has a right to deny access to their IP information, if they even store any.

i have heard that some torrents are being watched by the fuzz. and normally it's the sharers not the downloaders that get in trouble. a brand new game with 3,000 seeders/leechers and none get in trouble... yeah.

IP will trace to ISP which can probably associate the IP with an account. otherwise it just shows state/ISP
    microsoft is greedy bass tards and EA does suck, rebel against their AP on pc games.
    and above all, RomU does host links to different rom sites which do have EA games and such. (remove the above sentence if required)

also, silence is golden, and if you really dont want caught, don't use your internet to download...dont leech your neighbors WIFI either. use hotspots that allow download, normally really restricted speed. i know someone who lives by a hotel, weak signal, slow speed, unlocked wifi, many rooms. can pick up the signal from their house.
    old piracy was done person to person, right? 2 vcr's hooked together. and RomU was like, 50% parents Downloading for their kids, knowing full well the law.
    (correct me on any errors)

4. lukands

lukands New Member

All that said, if someone is going to loose sleep over it, maybe they should instead visit their local game shop and do it the old fashioned way with $$. And take sites like this off their favorites list.

5. namklaw7

namklaw7 Well-Known Member

Your ISP knows exactly what you're doing but that information cannot be shared upon request. It's protected by privacy policies followed by most companies. Even pedophiles are protected. The bigger violation would be file sharing, not downloading.

6. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

the isp isn't hovering over and watching you though. not if they have no reason.

7. Supie

Supie Well-Known Member

LOLOLOL Dont copy the floppy! Tha my friends is what we call a flop..