1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Can you "Buy" True Happiness?

Discussion in 'Debates' started by Cahos Rahne Veloza, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Discuss.

In a sense, Yes we do need money in order to achieve stuff in furthering what truly makes us happy. But can one simply buy happiness or as the saying goes, we have to work at it.

2. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

I'd be so fucking pissed if I got no money, lost my house and lost income to help support my family in bare necessities. This wouldn't bring my family together, it'd make us homeless and poor.

Money can't buy you happiness, yes, if considering if the adage is talking about just hording a ton of cash and having a huge house with nothing really worthwhile in it. Technically in a sense buying stuff with money makes the adage somewhat false. As money isn't proportionate with happiness, but it's proportionate to the amount of enjoyment you achieve with whatever you bought with money, it's not so much owning the object being associated with happiness, it's the experience. This part is only talking about temporary happiness and not long term.

Which leads on to, what would you consider to make you happy and make you stay happy in the long term? As of right now, what I determine as me being happy is enjoyment with my husband, kids, and our parents and family. Along with that comes the entertainment side of things that make me happy for a couple hours at a time.

I wouldn't consider my family being happier if we lost our money flow, we're happy as of now with a minimal amount of problems. I can do without a lot of my materials like our PC and video game console and similar luxuries, like TV and stuff like that and still be happy. But not having a house, heating in the winter and food or electricity would totally rain on the parade.

3. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

For some people I think it could. Im a little bit different to most people, I don't chase money.
    As long as ive earnt enough to pay the bills and be comfortable I have the rest of the time to relax and do the things I like doing. For me those things are more important than the extra money.

4. iluvfupaburgers

iluvfupaburgers Well-Known Member

so yes, money does bring happiness :)

5. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Too bad, men (yes I'm directing the statement directly at us men) can't ever understand the true happiness of motherhood. Sure there are a lot of women these days who have un-wanted pregnancies & hate being a mother, but those are merely circumstantial cases. Most often a mother takes pride & joy in having gone through pregnancy, child birth up to the time their child/ren are going off on their own & making something of themselves in the future.

Ah, but money also fosters greed & ill will against others who seek it.

6. garychencool

garychencool Well-Known Member

Money can buy you happeness: here's how, you buy games and stuff and play online, you will get happy, just don't get like the best guns/whatever to get an edge

you can buy happiness INDIRECTLY, nuff said

7. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

Money can only remove your unhappiness and feeling of uselessness. It's a drug that takes away unwanted emotions. It can't buy you happiness.

8. lugia543

lugia543 Guest

I bought my desktop and now I'm truly happy.

9. Cahos Rahne Veloza

That's actually satisfaction you're feeling, not happiness.

The same is true with your statement... well actually this is leaning towards ownage or a rush of adrenaline rather than happiness.

10. sexywogboy

sexywogboy Well-Known Member

Money buys us happiness because that's what the world makes us rely on. As Natewlie mentioned, you wouldn't really be a happy person knowing you couldn't provide for your family or even have a house over your roof.

My stance is a heap of money won't buy you happiness, but enough money to live and the right people around you is what provides happiness.

11. darkrequiem

darkrequiem Well-Known Member

Raysie is right. Well, at least I agree with most of what he's said.
    Regardless of whether we favor this world, money is a necessary evil. It raises the chance of one being a truly happy individual. The two extremes: homeless and rich are perfect examples. Obviously, a homeless person is more likely to be unhappy than anyone else with more money. Of course, external factors change the chances of one being happy, but here we are just talking money. Since having more money does raise the chance of happiness, I would agree that money buys slightly more % of you being happy. But like I said external factors can change the % of someone being happy. Let's do an example for the sake of it:

Homeless person; (just a guess) 5% of being happy.
    Homeless person with friends that occasionally support him; (another guess) 8% of being truly happy.
    Homeless person with no friends and a life threatening illness; 1% of being happy (maybe he has come to terms with his life and is content?)

Like I said, these percentages are just examples to illustrate what I mean. And they are not the percent of how much the person is happy, just the chance of them being truly happy (and merely satisfied).

To really sum it up; Money cannot "buy" happiness, but it can buy better odds of being happy.

12. Stanley Richards

Money will relieve you of worries such as financial issues; money to feed your loved ones, money to travel and money to do everyone else, but it can not give you true happiness.

13. sexywogboy

sexywogboy Well-Known Member

What about the money infested individuals that don't have loved ones? It's a common thing with wealthy people. They have all the money in the world, but don't have loved ones that actually care for them.

14. Stanley Richards

A smart person can combine money and relationships. It just takes lots of planning ahead. But for those who don't, they're most likely blinded by money so they think they've achieved happiness, therefore thinking that money is the only thing needed to succeed.

15. darkrequiem

Re: Can you \"Buy\" True Happiness?

I would argue that rich people have a much higher chance at true happiness than poor people.
    Of course, they may lose that higher chance due to external factors (no friends).
    Post Merge: [time]1287205769[/time]
    And if they are happy without friends, they've achieved their true happiness.
    Also, intelligence does not dictate whether you have friends....At all.

16. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

I would throw away my kids in a dumpster if the government didn't give me money for each child every so often, or if it wasn't illegal to throw a baby in a dumpster or garbage compactor.

17. darkrequiem

Re: Can you \"Buy\" True Happiness?

Hehehehe, another quote of the day.
    This is true for most people, by the way. While I personally disagree I can see why people would do this. That, and it's hilarious the way she wrote it.
    Post Merge: [time]1287207739[/time]
    I disagree. There are plenty of single fathers out there. They, in my opinion, experience what it means to be both parents (of course, they never gave birth) but they know what it means to be proud of their child/ren.

18. Blade5406

Blade5406 Well-Known Member

Okay... could someone tell me what in this hell is "True Happiness"?

19. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

Money is a means to an end but shouldn't be mistaken for the end itself.

And about poor people being unhappier than people with money, that's not true. I remember hearing about studies that found that one's average "happiness" level might fluctuate up and down, but always returns to a baseline. To attribute having more or less happiness as a result of money is therefore a logical fallacy of regression. The negativity bias is also relevant here.

20. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

I don't have much money and I'm perfectly content with what I have.