1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Calling all persuasive people!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MasterofXD, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Magoran

Magoran Well-Known Member

Because the Rift req specs are so high, right?

2. Littlekill

Littlekill Well-Known Member

can you play skyrim with just your cpu though

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

they're pretty high for an MMO.

with a llano I would imagine so. Don't forget that skyrim still uses the oblivion engine, so the requirements arent hugely high compared to some current games. llano is fundamentally different to northbridge embedded graphics (thats what other 'onboard' graphics solutions are) llano is in essence a 6 core processor with two cores dedicated to graphics.

4. Littlekill

shut your face and download it!

5. Loonylion

I have it. I'm not currently on a llano system. I am running a HD5870, however, which is lower than the llano graphics core and skyrim runs just fine.

6. Littlekill

TAKE OUT GFX CARD GET TO WORK BITCH

7. Loonylion

I don't have a llano. those are the only processors with embedded gpus. I have an athlon II

8. Littlekill

then how dare you challenge me

also, i jumped back in rift last month, game is dead as fuck dude, how populated is your server?

9. Loonylion

its not too bad, you shouldn't have much difficulty finding people to group with, depending on zone. I'm on US servers.

10. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

Because that's really fucking impressive.

It's 2011 over here. Maybe, just maybe, he'd enjoy the opportunity to play a large variety of games on high at a decent resolution? I get that you have a hardon for APUs - hell, I do too - but recommending one in a computer clearly meant for gaming is a waste. ESPECIALLY because of the socket. FM1, really? He should be looking at an AM3/AM3+ board if he's going AMD so he can upgrade in future instead of having to replace the entire board because he realised that FM1 are not meant for high performance but are instead intended for less intensive, everyday demands when it comes to both CPU load and graphics requirements.

Doesn't stop them from being inferior to most current discrete cards.

11. Loonylion

It was 2011 when I built the system, in fact, it was three months ago. that doesn't change the fact that the APUs are fucking incredible for the price, and will have zero issues running oblivion or skyrim. I was trying to keep the system within budget, and by foregoing a $200 GPU I did it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with an APU, and for more demanding games he can get a discrete HD 6xxx series and crossfire it with the APU. That sounds pretty upgradable to me. AM3 probably isnt going to be around much longer anyway, with the new processors that are coming out.

Also don't bash 1440x900, for some people that's the highest their monitor can do, as was the case for the person I built the APU system for, and rift the only game they play, hence that was what it was tested with.

12. Suiseiseki

I'm not disagreeing with anything you say except for the assumption that it'll run Skyrim on high. I recommended AM3+ to continue processor support through Bulldozer, as yes, AM3 is on its last legs, so to speak.

And 1440x900, although workable, is not 1080p. Further, if you consider that maybe he might want to play other games that aren't Skyrim he may find his system lacking somewhat. "He can just buy a GPU" isn't an argument if he could have been able to play it if he'd had the damned discrete card in the first place.

13. MasterofXD

MasterofXD Well-Known Member

I'm so confused now :-\. I go frm this setup, to this setup, to the next setup usually because people say the last one is bad for reasons and stuff, I'm really delaying their time to order the stuff. Can we find a medium for both you guys to agree on? I don't want one person to like the setup, then another person suggests another one, etc.

Let me just put it simple so you guys can find one that matches and you agree on.

- Lasts a long while
    - Runs skyrim and other games such as League of legends, Fallout NewVegas, Team fortress 2 with lag on a minimum(Medium is minimum, I just don't want low graphics, tired of playing things on the lowest settings.)
    - Maximum of 850$ Canadian
    - Handle my programming, homework and gaming needs.
    - Can upgrade overtime (piece by piece)
    - Decent amount of internal memory
    - NOT SLOW I'm really tired of my super slow computer, it takes at least 5 seconds to load a page. if I put 3 tasks on, it takes 20 seconds to load a page and sometimes just freezes. YES IT'S THAT SLOW.
    - Can be built by my father's friend, I'm not building it, I really dont want to mess it up, I'm a major clutz.

Please decide soon guys on something good, I don't want to sound impatient but we still need time to order the parts, build it, etc. I really appreciate your help alot guys, if it was just me and a friend, I would get crap. So please decide soon and thnak you guys so much for the help so far!

14. Loonylion

any moderately modern computer will handle programming and homework, so don't worry about that.

15. MasterofXD

Alright, check that, now for the gaming portion and I'll slap it on the list. The comp will be mostly for gaming though, just sayin.

16. Suiseiseki

This is what computer building is like. Loony and I will probably never agree due to our different interpretations of what you might need. Even with that list, what I think you'll be wanting won't necessarily be what he thinks you'll be wanting, parts-wise.

Way I'm seeing it, loony's solution looks cheaper even than my AMD build suggestions (off the top of my head) but won't pack as much metaphorical "punch" as a standard build would, graphics-wise. It'll still fit your needs - I couldn't tell you how it would handle Skyrim on High though - but I'd venture that you'll possibly be looking for an additional graphics card before the end of 2012.

Mine's more expensive (especially the Intel system) and requires a separate graphics card. With that said, both are using more common technology (Socket 1155/AM3/AM3+ boards) which will make it cheaper to upgrade incrementally (at least to my mind) - but you'll have access to some damned good processors, including the 2nd Generation Intel i7s or the 6-core AMD 1000 series. It'll also be a better system graphics-wise since it includes a good graphics card. Again, though, you'll pay for the extra.

I'd say that once the prices are all sorted out you can make a more informed decision. I've given you the basic pros and cons, I'm sure there are more loony could add. Sit down, give the parents the options we've given you and have a chat about it.

EDIT:
    In light of this, I'd lean towards mine, specifically the AMD build. Very similar to the first iteration of my current rig, and that played pretty much everything at 1080p on High. The only adjustment I've made in the last 18 months has been replacing the graphics card with a stupidly powerful new one for the sole reason that it's totally fucking sweet.

17. MasterofXD

Oh alright, what about this setup though? Lots of people irl suggest this (I think I put this up before) including my friend's father who is a hardware engineer
    Intel i5 2400K: approx. $210
    Asus P8P68-V LX: approx. $220
    6GB DDR3 G-SKILL (4GBx2): approx. $50
    MSI Nvidia 560Ti: approx. $230
    Antec TruePower TP-650W: approx. $66
    500GB Internal HDD
    "Any case that can fit these parts, I would suggest a decently priced one" Can anyone give me a good case?

Oh and suis, the setup you meant was this one right?
    Intel i5 2310/2400 (alternative: AMD Phenom II 955 Black Edition/965 Black Edition - requires alternate motherboard)
    Asus P8P68-V LX (alternative: Asus M4A88TD-M EVO/USB3 if using the AMD)
    6GB DDR3
    ATi Radeon 5770/6770
    Antec TruePower TP-650W
    Case
    500GB Seagate Barracuda INTERNAL HD

18. Loonylion

reason I went with AMD is that theres not much difference performance wise between AMD and intel i5, and AMD is always the better deal when you're working with a tight budget. With intel stuff you pay several hundred $ for the processor and a similar amount for the motherboard. Intel isn't really a sensible choice unless you're going for all out performance and you have money to burn. (the top of the line i7 costs over $1,500 for just the processor. Add $300-$400 for a motherboard and you're looking at roughly the amount I paid for my entire render station, including two quad core CPUs, 16GB of expensive ram, a geforce GTX280, several hard disks, an expensive sound card and a beefy PSU). The top of the line AMD processors play the latest games perfectly fine, so the average person does not need a top of the line i7 system, even if they're a heavy gamer.

when it comes to the parts you listed, 6GB ram may be adequate for a triple channel intel system, but for AMD you need to use matched pairs, so it would have to be 8GB or 4GB, not 6GB. Regardless, I think the listing of 6GB is a mistake because afterwards it says (4GBx2) which would make 8GB.

I personally am avoiding seagate hard disks at this time because they have had a spate of reliability issues in the past few years.

Also as I mentioned before, nvidia graphics cards really dont seem to be doing well at the moment, Their latest cards have had mediocre gaming performance,so my guess is they're focusing more on GPU computing than gaming. The cards certainly don't justify their price for games.

19. MasterofXD

But can't we get 6GB RAM.. I'll get another internal w/e. You guys are really confusing me now. I don't know what to pick already! Can we stick with the ones I posted and just decide on those and switch some stuff around? My due date for the list for yesterday, I managed to push it a few days, can we decide quickly?.. Not trying to be mean.

20. fabvini

fabvini Well-Known Member

I am actuall y gonna help you with the persuasion.
    I had a similiar problem. (I wanted a ps3)
    This is what I did.
    • I told my Mum the benefits of it. Watch Blu-Ray movies; (because she is a cinefile), Keep pictures,songs and videos on it, be able to play with my friends, great exclusive games like Uncharted.
    • Told her why I want it, and that it won't be a waste of money and something all the family can enjoy.
      • Elaborate a speech so you have as much positive points you can.
      • Never say bad stuff about it and if they ask something bad like "you will play 18+ games" say you will show the game first and if you show them Skyrim, show a scene of you walking through town, no violence.
      • Try to get at least 50 dollars before you ask them again, so they see you are determined.
      • Never complain of their decisions, they will get pissed and won't buy it.