1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Burning PS1 games for PS1 console.

Discussion in 'Non-Emulation Help' started by Valkerion, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Valkerion

Valkerion Well-Known Member

Hey guys I'm having trouble getting games to work on my PS1.

So this isn't my first time burning games on PS1 but its been awhile since ive done it. So I get some games, even copied one from my disc. Start up Alcohol 120, go to burning wizard. Set it to RAW/DAO, buffer underrun. Put in my CD-R (Verbatim) and start to burn. (Note this version of 120 does not have playstation as a data profile when burning, only for image creator). Now when it finishes I go to start it up and nothing happens. From what I know this is how ive done it before but ive been though about 5+ discs and they wont start.

My dreamcast backups all burned perfect and are working fine (did these in the same day). So is there something im missing because I really don't know why these new batch of games are not working. Other games are working and yes the console is modded. I also have img burn as a secondary burning software for other files, tried it also for ps1 backups (first time) and wasnt sure what settings to use but that one also did not work.

Any help or tips, im really lost right now.

2. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

I'd use img burn, x4 speed, just select the iso/disc img file and go.

3. Valkerion

Ehh tried that one as well, sure there are not any special settings for it?

4. personuser

personuser Well-Known Member

That...would work fine....IF HE WAS RUNNING THEM ON A PS2 :p

PS2s read a lot faster writes than PS1 did, even for PS1 discs. Hell, mine can read PS1 titles @ 8x burn!

Try burning as slow as you can. 4X works for some but older models can't handle it.

BTW, I assume you're using either a modchip or a PSX-CHANGE.

And when you burn them in imgburn, turn off verify. PS1 games have shitloads of errors, THAT'S NORMAL, but IMG doesn't know that and it'll REALLY annoy you with all the error boxes popping up when it verifies it.

You should also probly download a PS1 emulator so you can test your games before you burn them.

One Time I went to download crash bandicoot and some little turd renamed a sesame street game into crash and threw it online. I ended up wasting a disc :p

5. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Well go one then...I dont have a ps1 and I only tried on ps2's.

6. Valkerion

Yeah I use my gameshark as a swap disc method has worked for ... well forever. Just tried some of the "failed" discs on my laptop's psx emulator and the start up fine. Now i'm really confused as to why the ps1 wont start them up...

7. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

Since you said yours is modded, I'd burn at the slowest speed possible. That's really all I can tell ya. That, and don't have ANYTHING else running. Bare minimum. I found out the hard way if you run a lot of crap while burning, the burning takes longer, and since the necessary resources are being used up, the burning sometimes hangs and doesn't make an accurate burn.

It'd be the equivalent of saying you have to copy this paper word for word in your handwriting, but every 5 seconds someone is going to smack the damn pen out of your hand. You'll screw up on whatever you were just writing, and since it's in pen, you can't go back and fix it, you just keep going.

The Dreamcast discs work fine because the DC isn't super picky on media type, burn speeds, and it doesn't have very effective anti-piracy checks.

8. Valkerion

Yeah I tried lowest speeds possible. Really dont know why they are not working but im more or less giving up for now. Wasted too many discs on this.