1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Britain's 2010 Elections

Discussion in 'General News' started by Adnan1992, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theunderling

theunderling Well-Known Member

Put on a turban and some boot polish on your face,then youd get about £200 a week.And what about all them companies that are supposed to be employing disabled people.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

They aren't making themselves known. JC job listings are all in-home elderly care/secretaries/data entry workers and employment agencies are pretty much useless. If I do manage to get a job it will be entirely down to my own efforts and no thanks to the people that are paid to help other people find and get jobs.

3. theunderling

Well the last time I was unemployed,I didnt bother signing on and then went self-employed.

4. Dannysikth

Dannysikth Well-Known Member

Well not everyone has money/skills/a house they can use as collateral to set up a new (and legit) business.

5. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

you dont need money or a house as collateral, you do need skills though.
    I just started advertising myself, made do by borrowing stuff and then when the money came in bought my tools

6. theunderling

Well under that Mark Swans Labour arseholes,who the fuck can start a business on £60 a week.I see fuel is up to £1.20 a litre and itll soon be up to the £1.32 again.Im thinking of turning to crime as I think an ex-convict has a better chance of getting a job.And thats if I get caught in the first place,and if it still sticks after about 3 appeals.

Loony,is there no company that could use you computer-wise,with you working from home etc...

7. msg2009

fuel comes out the business earnings.
    it also has massive advantages been self employed, most people pay cash ;)
    also you dont have to sign off dole until your working over 15 hours a week consistantly so no worries about not paying bills

8. Loonylion

I'm in a difficult situation, I'm claming that im not capable of work to get benefits (that was how I financed my university course), and would use the argument that without a degree I'd be disadvantaged enough to not get any jobs if challenged. Now I'm graduated, getting a job would cause me to lose that benefit (of course) and be ineligble to reclaim it. This precludes me from doing any form of temporary job as once my contract expires I would have no income until im able to find and secure another job (I would not be elgible for JSA), therefore I need a long-term or 'permanent' position, which in the field I am qualified in, are rarer than whale's teeth due to the economic situation and the UK business attitude towards IT (it is considered disposable, unlike the US, where it is considered mission-critical). My situation is also complicated by the fact that at this time I cannot drive, and I live in a rural area with frankly shit public transport links, which would make getting anywhere of note for a 9:30 start virtually impossible.

I do help a couple of local companies with their IT needs in a cash 'under the table' deal, they have told me that were they much bigger, then they would almost definitely employ me as a salaried member of staff, however, as their current staff counts are just inside two figures, it really does not make sense for them to have a permanent IT guy, especially one as highly qualified and thus expensive as me. If they have a problem they just email or text me and I get the next bus down. That said, it would be nice if one particular one got big enough to give me a permanent position, simply because I can get the bus to town from outside my house and it goes right past their building, whereas most places I'd need to get a bus to town, then another bus or a train elsewhere, then walk.

With the working from home question, I do not know of any legitimate companies that will allow you to work from home right from day one. Usually you have to work in the office for some time before you are able to ask to work from home.

9. Dannysikth

Dannysikth Well-Known Member

That may be true, but you still need to declare your earnings so they can be deducted from your giro. If you don't declare them, you are committing fraud. The limit is actually 16 hours, so anything less is fine.
    The job centre will let you keep £5 of your giro and deduct as much as you earn from your JSA.
    I just wanted to let you guys know that if you didn't already.

I didn't think there was any full time computer based jobs where you could start so late, with the exception of working in a betting shop as they generally open at 10am.

10. theunderling

Come on Danny,do you expect Loony to work and give the Government a cut of his income when they dont give a fuck about him.I had a mate that worked 2 days a week and he ended up like £3 better off per week than if he never worked.
    Companies in the past HAD to employ disabled people-that is my point.I wonder if the oil companies here could employ Loony-as they employ people and put them up in a hotel and pay for return flights so they get home every weekend.

11. Loonylion

I do want to work, but it has to be worth my while (i.e I have to earn at least twice what I get on benefits).

12. msg2009

loony couldnt you start up yourself?
    advertise in local paper, post flyers etc
    My mate did it last year, hes got some kind of computer degree and he got a fair bit of work before a company gave him a job.
    obviousy there has to be the market for it etc, unless you live in a city or somewhere miles from a computer shop you may not any get work.
    Theres no harm in posting a few flyers and seeing what happens

13. Loonylion

virtually no-one here has a computer, its an old people's estate.

14. theunderling

What about painting+decorating or carpet fitting/floor laying.That game is all cash in hand and you will only be doing 15 hours a week as far as anyone is concerned.Its better to get a driving licence,as you can end up with a job and get a motor thrown in.

15. Loonylion

im 4'10" tall and very clumsy. I also have very poor balance. My disability means I cannot drive a manual (my brain does not process instructions fast enough, either that or my limbs cant respond fast enough) and as of yet I have not been able to find an instructor with an automatic car.

16. theunderling

Well some bird told me the other day that lessons are now £40 a pop.An obvious discrimination against UK people what with all em immigrants driving around with mickey mouse licences-clogging up the roads.
    I wonder if you could get any Agency to hunt for a position,as once your kind of working its pretty easy to side-shift into a more attractive job.

17. Loonylion

if thats £40 for a one hour lesson its doubled since I last had lessons. and I now can't afford it, especially since they tend to insist on you taking 2 hours at a time.

Agencies are useless, been registered with several for years and they've never found anything.

18. msg2009

was £12 when i did my lessons :)
    i only had 12, £144 to pass, thats amazing at todays prices

19. Adnan1992

Adnan1992 Well-Known Member

got my driving test on tuesday!!!! XD

wow so off topic :p

20. Loonylion

good luck with that. watch you dont get overconfident, thats one of the main things that causes people to fail.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.