1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Borealis - The Official Romulation Minecraft Server

Discussion in 'PC' started by Suiseiseki, Oct 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

That's part of the test. If you can't figure out where to download it from, you've not the apititude to be building on my server.

2. Arcwolf09

Arcwolf09 Guest

Im watching you. Devious ass hole.

3. Suiseiseki

y u mad tho?

4. Silvertie

Silvertie Well-Known Member

Hell update out; SUIS, GIVE US THE ROPE NEW SERVER MAP

5. Suiseiseki

Due to conflicts with the current server modification and the slight lack of any decent additions to SMP, Borealis is down until hey0 can give me an upgrade.

6. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

According to the owner of the other server I've been playing on, even the regular, unmodded, multiplayer server is having issues with the new update. Looks like Multiplayer is down until everything gets worked out.

It seems that Nether portals don't work very well, either. If you make a portal on the World, enter the Nether, then exit the Nether again, it creates a second portal on the World rather than bringing you back to the first portal. The second portal is relatively close to the first, but pretty far away. My brother created his first portal in the basement of his Castle. The second portal that was created after leaving the Nether was outside his castle, across a small field, on the side of a hill. Entering either of these two World portals brings you to the single Nether portal. But entering the Nether portal only brings you to the second World portal, not the first. Destroying the second World portal doesn't help, the Nether portal will just create a third World portal very close to the second World portal.

Consequently, this seems a very easy way to get 14 free obsidians if you are playing without an Inventory modifier.

But if you create a portal in the Nether, exit the Nether to the World, that creates a portal on the World that will work correctly back and forth without creating new portals. So, this makes it hard to create pathways between existing World places using the Nether.

It seems that currently the first time you leave the Nether from a portal is when it creates it's "set" World Portal. Rather than setting the first world portal to the Nether portal (which it should).

Linking large worlds together with the Nether will be a complicated task even when (if) the portals work correctly. Traversing the Nether to find out where your second World portal ended up is going to be difficult, considering that portals can pretty much spawn anywhere. My brother's first portal to the Nether spawned inside a small cave inside a hill. Creating two portals on the World near two distant structures, then trying to find the pathway between them in the Nether will be quite the undertaking.

7. triemie

triemie Well-Known Member

oooh looks cool gonna try it

8. garychencool

garychencool Well-Known Member

wow, based on the pixelated goodness, it can actually run on my PC!

9. Arcwolf09

Arcwolf09 Guest

Looks like the whole thing is down. I read on Notch's blog that they had upgraded to a newer, more powerful server.

10. Suiseiseki

Tirith, it's not a bug but portal mechanics. A portal entrance in the Nether can't be in midair so it defaults to the closest active portal. Porting from the Nether is far more accurate if you can build a portal there. Your best bet to set up an accurate portal system is by staying in the Nether and constructing some sort of platform and the accompanying portal from inside the Nether, then porting out to construct the portal in realspace. It requires a lot more planning than was expected to link two bases together, but it's still possible - provided you're comfortable with remaining in the Nether for an extended period of time.

11. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

My point is though, when I make a portal in the World, then enter the Nether, the created Nether portal should be linked to the World. Leaving the Nether through that portal should take me back to the original portal I created on the World, not create a second portal "near" it. As is, it's almost impossible to create portals in existing bases. So far it seems the only way to create a permanent link between two portals is when you create a portal in the Nether and leave to the World. So you can control the Nether portal locations, but have very little control over World portal locations.

The setup works fine if you use the Nether to travel then create a base on the exit portal. But that's not very handy for linking large existing bases or for wanting to link your base to a far away cave you found.

Here is an image showing my experience with the portal setup.
    [​IMG]

In this example, I created World Portal 1A as the original Nether Entrance. It took me to Nether Portal 1. Leaving Nether Portal 1 takes me to World Portal 1, near World Portal 1A, but not where I wanted it. This World Portal 1 didn't exist until I exited the Nether. Traveling through the Nether portal created it, I didn't build it. (I wanted it where I created World Portal 1A). I can travel freely between Nether Portal 1 and World Portal 1. These two portals are now linked. I can enter World Portal 1A, and it will send me to Nether Portal 1, but I cannot go back to World Portal 1A unless I walk there in the World.

Creating Nether Portal 2 and leaving the Nether created World Portal 2. These two portals are now linked. I can now build a base around World Portal 2, or create a cave, or what ever I want. But realistically I don't have any control over the location of World Portal 2. Now, I haven't tested it thoroughly, but I don't have any reason to assume that it won't work the same way Portal 1A worked if I tried to create a portal at another location and link it to the Nether. As soon as I left the Nether through the newly created portal, another portal would be created in the World, close to, but not at, the World portal's location.

My main point is, the game should have never created World Portal 1. World Portal 1A and Nether Portal 1 should have been linked. Leaving Nether for the first time through Nether Portal 1 should have returned me to World Portal 1A, not create World Portal 1 like it did.

Edit:
    I can understand that since there is a 16-1 ratio, that if I had created a second portal in the world too close to the first portal, that it would take me to the first Nether portal. But that is not what happened here. The Nether portal should be linked to the first World portal within its "Sector" of World.

12. Suiseiseki

Noted. Portals aren't linked to each other, but to the (x,y) values of their placement. The explanation is as follows:

Portal 1A would bring you into the Nether at a point where a portal is impossible to be built (that is, where there is nothing between the ceiling and the lava). Because of this, it's generated a portal endpoint in the Nether at the nearest valid area for a portal to exist (Nether Portal 1). Because Nether Portal 1 is not on the squares relating to Potral 1A in the overworld, they are not a linked pair (a linked pair is where you have two portals that did not require moving). When you go through Nether Portal 1, it will check whether there is a portal in the corresponding location in the overworld. There isn't, because Nether Portal 1 isn't at the location where it would be connected to 1A. Instead it generates Portal 1 in the overworld as an endpoint.

Or if tl;dr and you can read co-ordinate logic:
    OW1A(x,y) =/= NP1(x,y); therefore one-way
    OW1(x,y) = NP1(x,y); therefore two-way

As for the pair of #2 portals, you're basically guaranteed to have a linked pair of portals if you build from the Nether. Given that the ratio is 1:8, you can actually set up a portal to another base if you count how many squares in each direction (this many forward, this many right, for instance) in the overworld it is between Portal 1 (NOT 1A) and your base, divide those numbers by 8, enter the Nether at Portal 1, take the new number of squares as steps then construct your portal. You should in theory get a portal endpoint in the overworld at the approximate location you want.

[​IMG]

13. Suiseiseki

Sorry for the delay, guys. Borealis is back up and running, but the whitelist was wiped because I'm a cock. If you could previously get in but now cannot, get hold of me on IRC or via PM and I'll restore your access.

14. lugia543

lugia543 Guest

it must have taken you a hell of a lot of time mining up thousands and thousands of stone. and gold.

15. Suiseiseki

I got bored halfway through and used the admin tools.

EDIT: Added the Stargate fast transport mod. Will be adding useable nodes over time.

16. Suiseiseki

NEW UPDATE, BABES!

We have monsters. We have health. We have motherfucking PVP combat. ARE YOU A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF SEPH WITH YOUR BARE BLOCKY FISTS? BECAUSE I AM.

17. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

What, he's easy. Just saw the creepers get him. Wasn't a pleasant sight at all.

18. CloudBoii12

CloudBoii12 Well-Known Member

Add to whitelist plz
    i repot u
    heauheauehuaehauehau

19. kenny6457

kenny6457 Well-Known Member

soon ill be able to get on this server cuz im supposed to get minecraft this week :D

20. lewis9191

lewis9191 Well-Known Member

That's for the update..

If you could whitelist me JustBeingHonest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.