1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Book recommendation thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by treec_cynda, Feb 19, 2011.

1. will1008

will1008 Well-Known Member

I'm surprised no one said this yet.
    "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" Mitch Albom

2. Don9aldo

Don9aldo Well-Known Member

Since it has hasn't been said so far:

Schindler's List, Thomas Keneally

And also a few books by Micheal Crichton:
    Prey
    and
    State of Fear.

Add every book by Garth Nix and Philip Pullman to that list as well (Especially the "His Dark Materials" Trilogy; heartwarming stuff)
    And if you like the Hunger Games you should try out Hunger by Micheal Grant.

P.S. I read Hoot too!

3. Joben_

Joben_ Well-Known Member

I'll recommend a book. It's a story about a group of people, who had never met in real life. However they were the best of friends that met by chance on a forum online. Each one of them unique, each one with their own quirks. Not one of them wanted to admit that they were sad, lonely, and still living in their basements, and they enjoyed hiding behind the nick names that they had given themselves. In the end you find out that they were all fat, sweaty, neck beard losers.

4. Jenoin

Jenoin Member

Naturally I'll recommend anything from Terry Pratchett. But for those who'd never read him before and who doesn't want to start of with the Discworld series, Id' say:

Good Omens - Terry Pratchett + Neil Gaiman

5. doughboy

doughboy Guest

Of mice and men By John Steinbeck
    Good book...

what's the book called? :I
    having a mid life crisis Joben_...
    are the ladies fat and sweaty too? xD

6. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

I would also like to recommend a book. Its called dont judge everyone by your own standards.

Also I recommend anything by Robert G. Ingersoll and Franz Kafka and if anyone likes fighting Jeet kune do

7. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

Just read The Necklance today. it's nice.

8. Rat.2

Rat.2 Well-Known Member

well im not sure if they are already recommended but i liked the skulduggery pleasant series
    and Artemis fowl rangers apprentice was a good read and also tomorrow when the war began
    they aren't that great but are good books

9. sonic_fan_num_1

sonic_fan_num_1 Well-Known Member

If you want a really good book about crime, mystery and murder, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Swedish author Stieg Larsson is the book for you. I'll be brief so that I don't spoil anything: It's about a journalist trying to figure out the disappearance of a family member of a CEO businessman. It starts out a little slow (the first 60 pages or so), but onwards from that, it gets so good. You will not want to stop reading. New clues, twists, revelations, it has it all and it keeps you hooked.

If you also want a good United States history book, I'd recommend A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn. Forget everything you read in your high school history class after you read this.

10. will1008

will1008 Well-Known Member

A Separate Peace by John Knowles. It's a bildungsroman novel.
    They say that if you look hard, an eBook can be found. Not sure though, this is still not on public domain.