1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Blu-Rayed 360s possible

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by kanwarrulz_123, Jan 19, 2008.

1. kanwarrulz_123

kanwarrulz_123 Well-Known Member

CES '08: Blu-ray could still end up on 360

Microsoft exec tells Reuters that if customers choose Sony's high-def disc format, the Xbox manufacturer might make an add-on for it.

By Brendan Sinclair, GameSpot Posted Jan 8, 2008 5:26 pm PT

At the Consumer Electronics Show two years ago, shortly after Microsoft announced the HD-DVD add-on for the Xbox 360, the company's then-Xbox marketing executive Peter Moore admitted that a future add-on that would play Blu-ray discs was not out of the question, if the need for one arose.
    With Warner Bros. last week committing to produce Blu-ray movies exclusively, many industry watchers predicted that Sony's high-definition disc format--a prominent feature of the PlayStation 3--had scored a knockout punch on Toshiba's HD-DVD. At this year's CES, Microsoft's Xbox group marketing manager Albert Penello told Reuters today that the Warner move wasn't the end of the format wars, but acknowledged that his company is still keeping its options open.
    "It should be consumer choice; and if that's the way they vote, that's something we'll have to consider," Penello told the news service.
    While Penello downplayed the potential impact of the Warner deal on Xbox 360 sales, he acknowledged that it wasn't something the HD-DVD backing Microsoft had wanted to see.
    "You can't say it's not a bummer, not a setback, but I've seen this battle declared over so many times," Penello said, adding, "I want consumers to have a voice in this and I think there are a lot of consumers who bought HD-DVD who are going to have a say in how this shakes out."

2. Warren_303

Warren_303 Well-Known Member

I still don't have a 360 or PS3 yet, but this makes me want a 360 even more than I already do.

So if I could get a Blu-Ray DVD player add-on with the 360, that would be awesome.

I still like the PS3 but I would rather have a 360 with the games they currently have.

3. N3M351S

N3M351S Well-Known Member

Xbox 360, is just an Xbox 1.5! Ps3 Is much more better than 360.

4. ultra

ultra Guest

oh really!? in what ways?!

5. equitypetey

equitypetey Well-Known Member

ah microsofts true colours. seeing as evrything they do is a cheap money making piece of crap they now know they made some wrong desicions. first the 360 takes dual layer games which means there games can never realy get any better from the point they are. second the blu-ray hd-dvd war was always going to be won by blu-ray as it holds more which means its got more longevity for the future.
    i am smug, i always said at the start 360 was crap and ps3 rules, altho over priced (only because people are to cheap to bother getting a real console) at the begining the money spent is worth it. who wants to buy over priced add ons to already poorly made and thought out console.
    how about the 360 has nothing new, its only as good as a ps2 with hd graphics and then its still not truely hd.
    360 you have to buy a add-on to have wireless (inbuilt to the ps3)
    you have to buy add-ons to play a type of hd disc, ps3 IS a blu-ray player
    ps3 being blu-ray the discs have a bigger capasity meaning game developers have more they can do with it then dual layer that 360 takes.
    i give the 360 two years befor it can't keep up with the ps3 and pc and rumors of a new console will start

6. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

if the microsoft creates a xbox with a blu ray driver, a new xbox would rise. that means many problems could be gone, equitypetey. and then the xbox could be truly better than the ps3.

and mind that the ps3 came after the xbox360.

7. equitypetey

thats because they spent time developing their console rather then just making a quick buck.
    doesn't matter i think pc is better then all the only reason i'd buy one is for the few games that are not on pc.

8. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Microsoft can't fix a problem without causing 6 more.

9. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

that's one eternal problem we'll have.

anyway, i agree with equitypetey, a pc is better than any console, it can be as powerful as any other console, and can support almost as many features as a console can.

10. Warren_303

Warren_303 Well-Known Member

I've always been a huge Sony fan and really wanted a PS3 before it was sold in stores.

But I just waited and after playing them both I want a 360, especially after playing Gears of War online and all the other FPS.

I'll just wait and see how it turns out with this new blue ray add-on or whatever.

In the meantime I'll play the PS2, and Wii that my work gave me for free. ;)

11. equitypetey

a pc is more powerfull and has more features then a console. ;D ALMOST ;D you crack me up, theres nothing a console can do that a pc doesn't and a pc does more ;D ALMOST ;D funniest thing i've heard in a long time.

the only thing that even remotly inerests me about the 360 is its chipable and being on dual layer its still cheap to play rips

12. N3M351S

Is there a cpu GFX card out there in the market that offers the same power/performance as the ps3/360 cards?

13. Loonylion

PS3 uses a Nvidia Geforce 7800GTX chip

14. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

that's the gfx card i'll get fot my pc, bro. thanks for the info. ;)

15. equitypetey

yeah pc's gfx cards are already better. if the ps3 uses 7800 and nvidia are at the end of the 8 series going on to the 9 series cards this year that just proves a point and with card getting better at using directx 10 pc is surely going to look better

16. N3M351S

Going on to the 9 series by this year? wtf, Thats going to look extremeley detailed graphics-wise!

lol I'am only on 6 series!

17. equitypetey

;D 6 series is almost completly obsolete. seeing as crysis is the first true dx10 game showing the potential of what is to come for pc, the 8800 has a hard time running it on high res

18. ndsrulz1

ndsrulz1 Active Member

equitypetey, you must be one of the most eccentric ps3 fanboys around. First xbox 360 is better than the ps3 because it has a faster gpu and it has twice as much video memory(and if xbox 360 is not true HD than ps3 is far from it) and can run all of the other games perfectly with an underlying OS so i still don't understand how you think xbox 360 is worse than the ps3 when it has almost all of the third party developers at their feet.

19. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

I don't really like X360. You know why? Because I don't have one :D. But I've got a PS3 80Gb, the one with all the Memory Slots for SD, Micro Sd, Mini SD etc. Got it shipped from China. $800 NZD bucks! But the retail 60GB here is about $950 so..

20. Loonylion

What a load of crap. Speed does not mean everything, nor does amount of memory. What defines 'true HD' is not the graphics power, but the format and resolution it outputs in. Thus, the Xbox360 is not true HD and the PS3 is. If you knew anything about Microsoft you'd know that their products never live up to their claims. The PS3 has an underlying OS too, it is just not called an OS, it is called a firmware, but it is an OS.