1. This forum is in read-only mode.

"Biofuels Could Actually Increase Greenhouse Gases - Study"

Discussion in 'General News' started by ultra, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ultra

ultra Guest

http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/02/07/biofuels_could_actually_increase_greenhouse_gases_study/

i don't know if that's possible or maybe it's a false study [where they may have overlooked something or added other factors] because i'm not up-to-date on the new engineering of fuel [hydrogen, ethanol, etc...].

post your comments on this and what you think.

btw, i like the guys comment at the end of the article!

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

hydrogen fuel as in fuel cells cannot produce greenhouse gases because the only reagents are hydrogen and oxygen,

Ethanol feasibly could produce greenhouse gases, and I think it does, but in what proportion I don't know.

3. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

Interesting. Biofuels are no good anyway because with our current age we use more fossil fuels producing the biofuel than we would just using gas in the first place.

4. Loonylion

its an interesting problem as to what will run our cars in the future. Personally I'm not keen on fuel cells, primarily because I don't like the idea of driving around with a tank of extremely explosive gas in the back of the car.

5. sir spamalot

sir spamalot Well-Known Member

did you hear the "penn and teller: bullsh*t"' rant on recycling? brilliant :D

anyway, this thing about "biofuels" being mankinds answer is a load of (offensive english word) *sips on a cup of tea*

i haven't read the article, but it's clear from the off there are a few things very much wrong with this whole argument. i'm sure the article will talk about "stored carbon in plants/swamps/dead stuff".

unfortunatley, tell somebody "this might save the world" and everyone'll be all over it. Swarzenegger thinks he's doing the right thing, promoting biofuels. it's wrong. and average joe won't find out till it's 30 degrees in winter (UK).

brazil managed to get it right, because the resourceswere already there. they didn't need to clear forests to plant sugar cane, because they were already there. it was just a matter of turning that into fuel

oh, and if anyone does geography you might already know why brazil was forced to mke it's own fuel... ;)

6. CloudBoy101

CloudBoy101 Well-Known Member

Yes, I've seen just about every Penn and Teller episode, including their TV show.

Theres a guy somewhere in the States who has his car running on vegetable oil from fast food restaurants! I saw it on the news a few weeks ago, it was crazy, I'll look for a viddy of it.

7. Loonylion

Any diesel engine can run on filtered vegtable oil.

8. ultra

ultra Guest

i saw that penn and teller bullshit on recycling. i don't know on it's quality of merit, but i do have to say that it's weird that when you recycle certain items they ask you to ensure that it is clean. this is typically on canned foods like dog food or those sloppy joe sause, it's garbage that will be recycled, why do i need to clean it up. it's weird that i need to clean garbage.

9. Loonylion

we have some weird rules where my parents live. Classic example is they will recycle paper, but not christmas wapping paper ???

10. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

This is because some recycling centers want to throw it strait in the furnace to recycle, anything such as food residue and the like can make the recycled metal weak and useless. And yes they actually hire people to sort out your trash and wash out bottles and cans and such. Those people are employed by the government, and although you might not care about this now, your taxes are paying for those people to work. I always clean out my bottles and cans for recycling. Technically its not garbage at all, have you never heard the saying 'one mans junk is another mans treasure' Fact is recycling and garbage is a highly profitable business.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.