1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Best free PC Antivirus software

Discussion in 'Computers & Modding' started by stirgo1212, Mar 19, 2010.

1. ultra

ultra Guest

i've upgraded to the full pro version of avg. the good news is that i paid $5 for 3 users on a two year plan. i really like it. it does auto scans once in a while and it barely slows down the computer.

if you look around, you can get a really cheap internet security suite for a really low price. there is one for free with a mail in rebate, i believe it's kaspersky or something. here is a link,
    http://www.frys.com/product/5991854
    it's for a one year subscription [i believe] and for 3 users. not a bad deal especially if you compare it to free software which will be limited in it's functions.

so you don't really have to worry about having to get free antivirus programs like that of avg free or others on the net. all you need to do is spend sometime and effort to look around and spend very little to nothing for a full internet security suite.

2. theunderling

theunderling Well-Known Member

What is the "catch" with buying KIS2010 then getting a refund.Why do they not just give it away for free in the first instance.

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

the catch is its usually very hard to get the refund.

4. theunderling

I wouldnt be surprised if its a scam and you pay and dont get the stuff in the first instance-never mind waiting for a refund.My view is double the price for an AV isnt good,thats what puts me off of KIS now.Staples I think had it for under £40,but Ill just carry on with MSE in the meantime as I only get KIS to give away 2 x keys when my pals need it.

5. Loonylion

frys is a legitmate retail store so I doubt they'd not send the goods. Mail-in rebates are a huge thing in america, but they're operated by 3rd party rebate companies, so if you have difficulty getting the rebate you dont have a claim on the vendor/manufacturer. Said rebate companies require you to jump through so many hoops to get the rebate that a lot of people don't bother (which is what they're counting on).

6. theunderling

Ive heard of trial-pay but never that.

And just seen pc-world advert

>>> Norton 3-user kit £22.99 <<<<<

7. Glyde_Garret

Glyde_Garret New Member

I've been using avast! + Comodo Firewall for years and have not had any virus problems. Also, Malwarebytes is an effective anti-malware tool (not really protection) to use, too.

8. Omega_2

Omega_2 Strings Cat

Avast, and spybot S&D: 0 problems
    AVG: virtumonde infection every other week, loads of false positives(aka, non-commercially made programs that AVG does not want running, ever)

9. Loonylion

virtumonde is spyware, of course avg isnt going to find it.

10. ultra

ultra Guest

here are some cheap deals for internet security,

http://www.frys.com/product/6060978?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG [CA INTERNET SECURITY, exp 4/30]

http://www.frys.com/product/6095338?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG [pc tools, exp 4/15]

http://www.frys.com/product/5991854?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG [kaspersky, exp 4/8]

http://www.frys.com/product/5991754?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG [bitdefender, exp 4/8]

http://www.frys.com/product/5999534?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG [mcafee, exp 4/15]

you see, there are always deals on internet security and you can get them cheap. all you have to do is search for them.

11. Omega_2

Omega_2 Strings Cat

Oh no, it found it, it just won't do shit about it unlike Spybot XD

12. matty999555

matty999555 Well-Known Member

I found that SuperAntiSpyware is VERY good for a badly infected PC (especially the portable one).

ESET is good but not free.

13. MegaPrick

MegaPrick Member

I suggest you wait and buy an Antivirus software
    and if you decide to buy an anitivirus look into
    Norton Internet Security or Norton Antivirus

14. Omega_2

Omega_2 Strings Cat

buying AV isn't worth it, especially as you HAVE to buy per year, and the part with the keys being blacklisted randomly would knock out those saps who are paying them.
    Avast! version 5 is free for home use, yes you have to register it, but it's free for a year, just need to reregister it afterwards, also free, btw. And it's doing a fine job tag teaming with Spybot S&D.

15. theunderling

This thread is developing into Lunacy.Why would anyone pay for Norton when they can pay for KIS or Nod32.Why would anyone install Avast free,when they can install MSE or Avira free.

16. ultra

ultra Guest

good advice doesn't come cheap. we pay lawyers money to give us legal advice. we pay accountants and financers for financial advice. to get these free internet virus protection is okay as just like a friend or relative or in between can give advice is okay. they are free advice so they're okay. but good advice doesn't come cheap.

17. garychencool

garychencool Well-Known Member

AVAST! AVAST! AVAST! AVAST! AVAST! AVAST!AVAST! AVAST! AVAST!AVAST! AVAST! AVAST!

18. Loonylion

you can also pay for crap advice, which is analogous to buying norton antivirus.

19. Omega_2

Omega_2 Strings Cat

KIS used to be nice, back in '07 when it wasn't as big of a resource hog, though not worth paying for >_>
    NOD32 is impossible to turn off, and I've not cared for anything else :\
    +1

and completely offtopic:
    [​IMG]

20. theunderling

KIS a resource hog-thats news to me.But all you lot can keep using your Avast,Avg and the like.I hope you dont get any future problems LOL.