1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Best free PC Antivirus software

Discussion in 'Computers & Modding' started by stirgo1212, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Jonez001

Jonez001 Well-Known Member

Microsoft Security Essentials is also good.

2. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 Well-Known Member

Microsoft makes CRAP.
    Except Windows.

3. theunderling

theunderling Well-Known Member

MSE was rated higher than Avira in an independant review.KIS is one of the top paid for suites-but its recently doubled its price for the 2010 version.

4. Reider

Reider Modereider

Which is why Microsoft Security Essentials is actually decent. No one knows Windows like Microsoft does so it stands to reason that they can make good antivirus software for an OS they created.

I've used it to clean out some people's computers that were overrun with trojans and the like and it did a damn good job of it.

5. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

microsoft didn't make MSE, they bought someone out and rebranded their software. Thats why its fairly good.

6. theunderling

Fairly?.Its still light years ahead of AVG.

7. SuperFrog

SuperFrog Member

Do you remember that article?
    Is MSE free for business users too?

8. Omega_2

Omega_2 Strings Cat

Just check and see?

9. theunderling

This is the review/test here

http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/removal/avc_removal_2009.pdf

The results are nothing to do with scan times or an AV "taking over" your system like Norton does LOL.

10. Omega_2

Omega_2 Strings Cat

Norton defines spyware.

11. Zaertix

Zaertix Well-Known Member

I use Avast + Malwarebytes AntiMalware and I'm virtually problem free. I have one or two minor malware attacks here and there, but nothing huge. :d It works for me

12. theunderling

I would only pay for KIS/Avira/F-Secure or use the free versions of MSE/Avira.But a lot of people will use an AV suite not because it has a good resident shield/disinfection,but because they understand the working of the GUI.

13. Loonylion

or because its forced on them and they dont know any better (case in point: norton)

14. hmfan

hmfan Well-Known Member

I loled because I've seen that so many times before.

15. Chaellexe

Chaellexe Active Member

every thing is free if you where to look , though :p

BTW who run the virus check thing every atleast once a week ?

16. garychencool

garychencool Well-Known Member

AVAst! It's free. AVG ahd probs back when I used it. LAG, LAG, LAG!

17. Jonez001

Jonez001 Well-Known Member

Norton is bad in my opion!

18. theunderling

19. Nerch

Nerch Well-Known Member

Avast. Small update downloads (I've got a very slow connection so small update packages help) and never had a problem in 4-5 years.

20. Loonylion

Preinstalled == forced on them. The vast majority of people stay with what their computer is preinstalled with, and symantec know this. Thats why they pay the likes of Dell to preinstall their software. Norton is absolute hell to remove (quite possibly not by coincidence) and most of the people who stay with preinstalled software don't know any better.

I would seriously question Norton's protection/disinfection, I've always found it exceedingly poor on both counts., and thats ignoring its virus-like behaviour. McAfee is slightly better, but that is negated by its high incidence of false positives. Both programs survive because of OEMs preinstalling them and the reputation they had before being bought by symantec, who destroy everything they touch.