1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Benefeits of Fruits, and Vegetables, what are the differences?

Discussion in 'Debates' started by kamage, Feb 15, 2008.

1. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

Well, I'll be making a topic per day on this Section..because I want to, and I ahve nothing better to do, and this isn't spam..because they always have reasons to debate

Anyways, I think Fruits have more Benefeits than Vegetables, especially since they are better tasting... I think vegetables are only rich in fiber, but Fruits are rich in vitamins, but why are we needed a balance in eating these two, I think they should be classified as one on the Food Pyramid, due to them both being...plant-like thingys. I think the fruits are better tasting, and the kids will be better adapted, due to the abundance of sweetness within these fruit, while vegetables, they will ahve a problem eating it, due to the weird tasteless stuff.

I think they should be combined on the table as Fruits, and Vegetables, instead of Vegetables ?-? servings, and Fruits ?-? servings, because, they are basically the samething to mee, except fruit has more taste

2. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Yes fruit is better tasting but you really should have a good mixture of fruits and vegetables. I like vegetables for dinner and stirfries etc. and I like fruit for smoothies and fruit salad etc. I would get too sick just eating vegetables all the time and vice-versa. Since they have different benefits like vitamins and nutrients, it's good to balance out the two food "types" so you will be more healthy and have more nutrients in you if you know what I mean. Sure, I could just eat fruit not vegetables but then there's a thing as too much fruit. They should just classify fruits and vegetables under one category though, I agree. And since they're both plant foods and also since some people think that tomatoes are fruit, some say vegetables, hehe.. I think fruits are like healthy sweets or treats which you can eat a lot of and I think vegetables is like meat, a needed food in most cases anyway. Vegetarians would have to be rely solely on vegetables and fruits anyway.

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Vegetarians suffer from their decision to not eat meat as you get far more energy from meat than you can from vegetables.We had to do a route march in South Africa, and there was a vegetarian in the group. She made it to camp no problem, but the head ranger informed us she would struggle home the next day. We had our supper (boerwors for the carnivores, and pasta for the vegetarian) and turned in for a night under the stars. The next morning, we got up, struck camp and began the 10KM trek back to the lodge for breakfast. We'd barely made it past the 5KM point before the vegetarian collapsed from exhaustion and had to be carried the rest of the way.

4. iamlegend

iamlegend Well-Known Member

Proof that vegetarianism is not natural....
    We were designed to be carnivores....

5. Solus

Solus Well-Known Member

Actually we were designed to be omnivores. And vegetarians do get protein from soy products such as tofu. And rice is a good source of energy.

6. iamlegend

iamlegend Well-Known Member

How much protein etc ?

Not much

7. Solus

Solus Well-Known Member

We don't need that much protein unless you are a bodybuilder. And aside from tofu there yogurt which some contains 13g of protein for 1 or 2 servings. And there's always milk.

8. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

Green leafys and legumes and nuts have plenty of protein. As long as you organise your diet properly then even being vegan is fine. There are a group of people which follow a diet called Fruititarians. They are kinda like mega hippies who believe that only things nature 'gives' us should be eaten. For example picking an apple off a tree is bad, you have to wait for it to fall off. How they survive i dont know.

Also it wasnt untill later in our evolution that we harnessed meat. We were in fact herbivours and had teeth more of that like a cow for eating and grinding roots and shoots of plants.

9. ultra

ultra Guest

what do you mean by that??

10. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

I mean actually started eating it.

11. ultra

ultra Guest

well cavemens didn't have the tools to hunt and fight the animals [it was dangerous that you don't have the tools to kill them]. so they depended on vegetables. in addition, no fire so you can't cook the food, which was dangerous as you'll catch diseases. if your referring to medieval ages or those ancient rome ages or those early greek ages [bc era], it's because meet is a commodity for the rich. it was until the development of capitalism that helped people to earn money and be able to buy meat.

12. Solus

Solus Well-Known Member

They already had weapon during that time. Stone kinves and spears. And remember, caveman are much fitter than most of us nowadays.

13. ultra

ultra Guest

cavemens were much fitter, but remember that the beasts were much fiercer too.

you said they have weapons, so then they would have fur to wear during the seasons. so they did eat the meat from the animals they killed.

14. Solus

Solus Well-Known Member

Um..yes they did. And they do wear animal hide as clothings. Of course not during the early caveman era. Paleolotihic was it?

15. wiirdos

wiirdos Member

I like fast food...

B2KEDIT: Stay on topic, please.
    [rules]

16. ultra

ultra Guest

but back to almo's arguement;
    "Also it wasnt untill later in our evolution that we harnessed meat. We were in fact herbivours and had teeth more of that like a cow for eating and grinding roots and shoots of plants."

we were in fact herbivours in the beginning because of the lack of our tools to survive [you're not going to fight a lion with your hands]. however, once the tools were available, we ate meat. so we are omnivores or in between meat and vegetable eaters by default and only started as vegans because of our lack of circumstance.

17. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

I heard once, we were originally supposed to be vegetarians, but we adapted to omnivorous capabilities, is that true?

18. Solus

Solus Well-Known Member

Already been said by Almo. Read the earlier posts.

19. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

sorry, somehow posts by Almo get unnoticed by me...Sorry about that almo

20. I think a vegetable is grown out of the ground, while a fruit is grown from a tree...