1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Barclays Premier League Season 2009/2010

Discussion in 'Sports' started by meganova, Aug 4, 2009.

?

Which team will make a breakthrough to the top 4?

1. Tottenham!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nah, Manchester City of course!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. It will be Aston Villa..

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ... Liverpool still have their chance... I believe in them!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other teams will make a surprise!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update meramex! :D

2. dmac154

dmac154 Well-Known Member

What a victory for United. 4-3! Holy crap, I nearly pissed my pants with the Owen goal :p
    Goals:
    United City
    Wayne Rooney (2') Gareth Barry (16')
    Darren Fletcher (49') Craig Bellamy (52')
    Darren Fletcher (80') Craig Bellamy (90')
    Michael Owen (90')

3. iamlegend

iamlegend Well-Known Member

That was a long 4 minutes....... ::)

4. XtremeBlade

XtremeBlade Well-Known Member

Man City vs Man U was a good match, after a while I thought no one would score, I was really hoping man city would win though.

Also scum vs chelsea, I have no words other than the scums need to start playing fair and that crouch deserves a better team.

5. Meramex

Meramex Well-Known Member

Results from Sunday:

[ManUtd V ManCity]
    I've but one word. Brilliant. Manchester City had an answer for everything United threw at them, Given making some excellent saves. When Rooney scored the opener in 2mins, I thought this was gonna be an easy game for United, but Foster the ________________, let Tevez have the ball. I mean what the __________ is wrong with you. You don't give the opposition the ball in front of the box. At the end of the first half when tevez's shot hit the post, i rather not talk about it. But United came back fighting in the second half and completely dominated ManCity. Giggs's cross was met by Fletcher's head and United led 2-1. Three mins later City equalized with an absolute beauty from Bellamy. United then turned on the heat and Given was called upon to show city fans what hi is worth. Just not Berbatov's day. Two fantastic headers and equally excellent saves from Given. He was eventually subbed to be relpaced by Michael Owen in the 78 min. With 10 mins to go, Giggs took an excellent free kick at the edge of the box which was once again met by Fletcher. 3-2. The game should have been won at this stage but ________ Ferdinand gave the ball away to none other that Bellamy who scored a goal with perfect timing and accuracy. 3-3. 4mins to go. Anderson is replaced by Carrick. Do or die time for United. Last chance of the game. Rooney takes the freekick, met by Ireland, falls back to rooney who volley's it into the box, met by ireland again, but this time it falls to Giggs. Mancity was not gonna let giggs through but at the far corner they left a gap, where giggs slided the ball straight at Owen's feet.Owen with the ball, he takes the shot, GGGGGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLL. Absolutely Spectacular from Owen. Hughes is fuming at the officials from his technical area. He simply can't believe it. Sir Alex can't believe it. In fact the game dragged on 2 and a half mins more than the promised amount of stopage time. After the game the officials explained that the United substitution added 30 secs to the clock, and Celebration time from bellamy's goal which was in stoppage time amounted to 55 secs. Therefore the total amount of stoppage time comes to 5min 25 sec. And Owen's goal came at 5min 26sec. This is _______, i feel sorry for the City fans cause this is just stupid 4mins is 4mins. You don't add stoppage time to stoppage time. But inspite of all this i'm still a United fan and who cares a win is still a win. But this was one of the greatest Manchester Derbys i've ever seen. WOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!.

[Wolves 2-1 Fullham]
    [Everton 3-0 Blackburn]
    [Chelsea 3-0 Tottenham]
    No comments on these games. Couldn't watch em. Was still recovering from the ManUtd V ManCity game.

6. iamlegend

I don't think Given has to show anyone what he's worth

7. Meramex

Well, he's not worth much or ManCity would've won.

8. grimsim1

grimsim1 Well-Known Member

Given is a fantastic goalkeeper. He can't be blamed for all the goals. I think if anyone knows English football they can recognise that Given is really good. He is much better than Foster will ever be as a matter of fact.

9. Meramex

This I agree with you. Foster is a complete __________. I hope you saw FA Community Shield match between Chelsea and United. Foster nearly gave the ball away to Drogba, twice!!
    He was lucky that Drogba couldn't take advantage of his __________ goalkeeping. I believe his chances of taking the United no. 1 jersey are about 0%. But he still could get the job of the english national team. That is if only James gets himself killed or injured. David James is a spectacular goalkeeper, but i think his teamates at Portsmouth are letting him down. Kuzack most certainly will take over until Van Der Saar is fit for the rest of the season.

10. grimsim1

I can't believe they use Foster ahead of Kusczak. Kusczak is actually a really decent keeper. He is way better than Foster. As you said, the mistakes Foster makes are unbelievable. He reminds me of Arsenal's old keeper Lehmann. Anyway, Van Der Saar is 38 and in his last couple of seasons. He will likely retire soon so I wonder who Man United will draft because they clearly don't have adequate cover. Kusczak is good but he is a decent back up keeper and not the 1st choice of a title-challenging team,

As you said, James is a great keeper. England still have Robinson and Green who are ok I guess, as well as Joe Hart who could become good too. I personally don't see Foster having the ability to wear England's number 1 jersey.

11. iamlegend

Given is one of the top three keepers in the world. (along with Buffon and Casillas)
    Any fool can tell you that, at the moment he is probably the best in the Premier League.
    If Given wasn't there, United would have won comfortably on Sunday.
    Not to mention the fact that Newcastle would probably have been relegated a season before they were.

In more than 13 years of watching him play, I've only seen him make 2 mistakes.
    Before Sunday, the last one was when he was playing with Blackburn.

12. dmac154

dmac154 Well-Known Member

I think you need to say 'in your opinion.'
    I hope you haven't forgotten Petr Cech, Victor Valdes and Van Der Sar, who are all better than Shay Given. He is among the best, just not in the top three, and maybe scrapping the top 5.

EDIT: I do not need to say this is 'my opinion' either because these are FACTS, just like the FACTS Rafa spits out :p

13. iamlegend

You've got to be kidding.
    A few years ago i would have agreed about Van der Sar and Cech,
    but both are average at best these days.
    And Victor Valdes is useless and always has been.

There's no such thing as opinion. It was invented by people who were tired of being wrong.

14. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

I thought the result will be a draw. ;D
    Nice work Meramex!!

15. Meramex

I wonder what strange world you live in.
    (Perhaps a world where Liverpool are actually the champions and not second best)

Anyone who understands the game knows that these are facts. Come on, Given as one of the worlds best keepers. He's good. But he's not better.
    I agree with you on the Cech and Van Der Saar part but Valdes. Come on he's stupid. Caesar is better than him. Casillas is better than him, and Casillas is not the goalkeeper he was a few years back. I would even say Almunia is better than him. Almunia has the skill but just not the experience.

Still wondering what strange world you come from.

I would like to take a moment to warn you. You're on the verge of opening "the" door. You don't want to open that door. When someone opens that door..................things happen......................scary things.
    Post Merge: [time]1253867433[/time]
    All right, that's all for my, "why (insert topic/person/team name here) is stupid" for this week. Now for the fixtures. And I want predictions, people see the fixtures but don't care to reply. Come on just tell us who you thinks gonna win.

SATURDAY 26th SEPTEMBER 2009

[Portsmouth V Everton]
    [Birmingham V Bolton]
    [Blackburn V Villa]
    [Liverpool V Hull]
    [Stoke V United]
    [Tottenham V Burnley]
    [Wigan V Chelsea]
    [Fullham V Arsenal]

SUNDAY 27th SEPTEMBER 2009

[Sunderland V Wolves]

MONDAY 28th SEPTEMBER 2009

[ManCity V WestHam]

16. oohmeplums

oohmeplums Active Member

Prediction
    Pompey 2 Everton 2
    Birmingham 1 Bolton 2
    Blackburn 1 Villa 3
    Liverpool 5 Hull 0
    Stoke 1 Man U 1
    Spurs 3 Burnley 0
    Wigan 1 Chelsea 3
    Fulham 2 Arsenal 4

17. Meramex

Alright now that that's done time for this week's miscellaneous stuff.

This Wednesday and Tuesday was the third round of the Carling Cup. Here are the results (only the premier league clubs) and my thoughts.

[ManUtd 1-0 Wolves]
    Yes that's wolves from the premier league. On first thought you would say that Wolves gave united a run for their money. But take a look at the the team list and you would be surprised. Only two of United's first choice players played the match and two counting the number on the pitch at a time, since Owen was replaced with Valencia. And United even went a man down at the half hour mark when Fabio went down and took a Wolves player with him (Smart Kid). And they won it. Shows how good Wolves really are. They lost to a second best 10 man United. And that has them on my relegation guaranteed list for this year along with Portsmouth and Hull.

[Chelsea 1-0 Ranger]
    That's queen's park rangers and again a second best chelsea versus a stupid club. Just shows how good both teams are. Chelsea and United don't even need their best eleven to beat teams like these.

[Villa 1-0 Cardiff City]
    A early goal from Agbonlahor decided the outcome of the match at the 3rd minute.

[Hull 0-4 Everton]
    Just shows why Hull are in my list his year. Not surprising really.

[Preston 1-5 Tottenham]
    This is what happens when the best 11 are played.

Forget bout the others i'm to tired to type them all. Just for you to know City beat Fullham 2-1 on Extra Time.

PS. Thanks for the predictions OOHMEPLUMS (i hope i got that right).

18. oohmeplums

oohmeplums Active Member

You Sure Did Meramex,
    I will Predict each round of games (weekly) if I have time and you can laugh at how badly I do. (If thats alright).
    P.S I am A Pompey (Portsmouth) fan who genuinely believes we will stay up.

19. grimsim1

Dude...you are kidding right? You almost had me for a second. Caesar? I haven't even heard of this guy. Casillas is a legend. He is quite possible the best keeper in the world. And Almunia???? That guy is TERRIBLE!!!! I don't even know how Arsenal still stick with him. Victor Valdes is a decent keeper. He is not the greatest but he has talent. He wouldn't be Spain's number 2 (although I think Reina should be number 2 as he is way better) and Barcelona's number 1 if he didn't have any skill.

As for Shay Given...you have to be living on another planet not to recognise him as one of the top keepers in the world. This guy has bailed out Newcastle so many times and he is one of the most loyal players around. Do you even know how many times Arsenal have tried to sign him?? Given is one of the best if not the best keeper in the Premiership, only challenged by Pepe Reina (who won the Golden Gloves in the Premier League for 3 years running, only marginally losing out last season to Van Der Sar by 1 game). THe top 3 keepers in the league are definitely Given, Reina and Van Der Sar. Cech is nowhere near as good. I even rate Jaaskelainen higher, who is fantastic in his own right.

20. wifiwipass

wifiwipass Member

man.u are strong and alex ferguson is a legend so i shouldnt underestimate them