1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Barclays Premier League Season 2009/2010

Discussion in 'Sports' started by meganova, Aug 4, 2009.

?

Which team will make a breakthrough to the top 4?

1. Tottenham!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nah, Manchester City of course!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. It will be Aston Villa..

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ... Liverpool still have their chance... I believe in them!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other teams will make a surprise!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

Not sure, why don't you search for it first, if there's no same thread, you can make one. ;D

2. Meramex

Meramex Well-Known Member

I just finished reading the whole thread and saw that alot of you don't like manutd. Scared perhaps. It's only normal. Everyone is afraid of England's best. I hope Real Madrid can make it past the group stage. I'm waiting for Manutd V RealMadrid.

3. GlidingGoose

GlidingGoose Well-Known Member

Bolton Wanderers (2) v (3) Liverpool
    - [Bolton]Davies (33),Cohen (46)
    - [Liverpool]Johnson (40),Torres (56),Gerrard (82)

OH YAH!

4. Meramex

Sunday

Birmingham V Villa : Final Score 0-1
    The new blues put on a good fight but they just couldn't keep agbonlahor at bay for long enough.

Everton V Fullham : Final Score 1-2
    Super game. Everton were in complete control in the first half and scored the opener. But 10 minutes after the half Fullham were in complete control and scored two successive goals 10mins apart to win.

Everon were 5th last season. just goes to show you how unpredictable the league is. You could be champions one season and relegated the next. A tribute to newcastle fans

5. iamlegend

iamlegend Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be penciling Everton in for relegation just yet.....

6. Meramex

Not directly related to the Premier League, but,

The EUFA Champions League Group Stage kicked offed last night.

Here are the results for all those who didn't watch em.(Just the English Clubs)

[ManUtd 1-0 Beskitas]
    How ManUtd fared against Beskitas:

Ben Foster: 7

The current Man United first-choice custodian had little to do personally, having only a legitimate save to make in the whole match, and even that was shot straight at him!

Gary Neville: 6

Looked a step slow, could not bomb down the right flank, and was slow to close down long shots.

Jonny Evans: 6

Seemed a little lost out there, and was all over the place in terms of his tackling. Almost deflected the ball into his own net.

Nemanja Vidic: 6

Was aggressive but was a little slow in closing down the opposition strikers.

Patrice Evra: 6

Overlapped a little but was probably restricted by Sir Alex to stay behind and defend stoutly.

Antonio Valencia: 7

Injected pace to the right flank and did threaten on occasion, but had nothing in the end to show for it. Almost scored, but missed a Wayne Rooney cross.

Michael Carrick: 7

Had a couple of screamers on target early on, and did well to manage the flow of the game in the middle until he was subbed.

Paul Scholes: 8

The evergreen midfielder showed he was still as spry as ever as he lunged to head a saved shot into the back of the net. Who cares if he can't tackle!

Anderson: 6

A lot of running, a lot of huff and puff, but Besiktas was not blown away.

Nani: 6

He's going to have to do a lot more if he is to fill the void left behind by Cristiano Ronaldo (or so he says). A little pace and trickery here and there, and a couple of missed free kicks.

Wayne Rooney: 7

Had to plow alone upfront, and showed that even one of the world's greatest needs help upfront once in a while. Ran and created, but Besiktas successfully shackled the England man. Was replaced by Michael Owen.

Subs:

Tomaz Kuszczak

Wes Brown

Michael Owen (on for Rooney 64'): 6

Came on and proceeded to clock offside after offside. Had a couple of chances but shot wide.

Dimitar Berbatov (on for Carrick 63'): 5

A virtual passenger in his time on the pitch.

Park Ji-Sung

Fabio Da Silva

Darron Gibson

[Chelsea 1-0 FC Porto] Not the most exciting match yesterday.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Games Tonight:

[Liverpool Vs. Debrecen] Kick off at Anfield 19:45 IST

[Standard Liege Vs. Arsenal] Kick off at Maurice Dufrasne 19:45 IST

7. shaNa-chan

shaNa-chan Well-Known Member

Thanks Meramex for updating this thread, when my brother isn't here, I hope you can always update it. thanks~~~ :D

8. Meramex

Will do. I didn't even know Mega was leaving until this morning. Sorry for being a little blind-eyed. Tell mega i wish him all the best.
    Post Merge: [time]1253111845[/time]
    I know a lot of you don't care but today is the most anticipated Champions League Clash of the year.

InterMilan V Barcelona

Both teams are champions of their respectively leagues, but what makes this a little more competitive is the fact that both teams have strikers belonging to each other that were only transferred recently. Inter have Eto whie Barceona have Ibrahamovic. This could be one exciting match(hopefully).

9. grimsim1

grimsim1 Well-Known Member

That really depends on who is anticipating it? Personally my most anticipated clash was the Liverpool v Debreceni game. Whoever says Liverpool do not have a chance of the title is really ignorant and knows nothing of football. We have only had two losses. I ask you, how many losses did Man United have last year when they won the league? It's not over by a long shot. It will be hard but you can't rule anyone out. When a team goes on a winning run, no one can stop them. Everyone knows that teams blow hot and cold throughout the full season so there is still plenty of time for Man City, Spurs, Chelsea to start dropping points. Chelsea are already looking a bit shaky last couple of games.

10. Meramex

Results from last night:

[StandardLeiege V Arsenal] Final Score 2-3
    SL took a surprise lead in the first 5 minutes. Arsenal managed to bring a goal back just before the half time whistle. Arsenal eventually won it with goals from Eduardo and Bedtner.

[Liverpool V Debreceen] Final Score 1-0
    Not an interesting game. Liverpool won by just one goal from KUYT.
    Post Merge: [time]1253183174[/time]
    Who cares if Liverpool didn't lose games. They drew way more games than any other team and one point is not even close to three.

11. -zeRo-

-zeRo- Well-Known Member

Oh, damn, I wish they lose. :p

12. grimsim1

Meramex I really don't think you read my post properly. I also think you don't know what you are talking about.

13. Meramex

By they if you mean arsenal i'm with you all the way.

Grimsim, i know you're a Liverpool fan and i understood your post quite clearly. You said that i was wrong in saying Liverpool had no chance of winning this year. For that i apologize. But the last time liverpool own the title was in the post Munich era, before the name was changed to the Barclays Premier League. It's not that they weren't good, it's just that there was always someone better. Let it be Chelsea, ManUtd, Arsenal or even NewCastle. The bottom line is,they just weren't good enough. If you wish to prove me wrong we can just wait until the end of the season. But if Liverpool don't get their act together by December their chances of winning go out the window. And about my remark of Liverpool drawing the most games in the league last season, you can search it out cause it's 100% correct. And as it stands 1 point is still not as good as three. You can bark at me all you want, it's still not gonna improve Liverpool's chances of winning the title.
    Post Merge: [time]1253263946[/time]
    Chelsea may have looked shaky but they still got the win. Arsenal have seen better days and Manchester City are seemingly unstoppable. Spurs are still in their best season yet. ManUd only took 8 points from their opening five matches last season but lost only one game after November(and that to Liverpool). So it's still anyone's game but Liverpool seems to be missing that extra kick that hey had last year. I'm a united supporter so it's only natural i would want united to win. The same goes for you. But looking at the squads i would be favoring chelsea or City to niche the title this year.

14. grimsim1

Look I don't mean to be rude about it but I just think it is a bit early to be ruling any of the top teams out as of yet. Need I remind you of Man United's rather unimpressive start to last year's campaign and how they ended up winning the title? And also to Liverpool's terrible start last year where they were barely winning games yet we challenged right to the end? It is wrong to compare seasons because each one is unique and the outcome could be totally different but judging by early results, it seems all the teams are in with a shout. And lets face it, United haven't really been turning heads with their performances either. I just mistook you for one of those annoying "football fans" that do not truly appreciate the game and immediately scream "your team sucks" without any real reason, just because they are ignorant. I apologize for that. It should be an exciting season and let's just go beyond the few games played yet before serious title debates are produced.

Oh, and Please start a Spanish La Liga/European league topic :D I too love watching other leagues

15. iamlegend

I think it's laughable that you think Liverpool are out of it.
    What are they, 3 points behind your precious Man United, 6 behind Chelsea?
    With 33 games left to play. Including 2 vs United and 2 vs Chelsea (remind me, how did those fixtures go last season??)

And the last time that Liverpool 'owned' the title was in the 1980's.
    I don't see what Munich has to do with that. Are you insinuating that Liverpool's dominance was due to the Munich air disaster? :D

P.S. Newcastle haven't won the Premier League

16. yorkie38100

yorkie38100 Member

I have 2 daughters and both are married to scousers, one of them a season ticket holder at Liverpool. Neither think LIverpool will win the title, but I think they have a chance. I reckon it's perm any one from the usual 4. Early on today, I was watching a dvd of the 97-98 season when my team, Barnsley, had their one and only season in the top flight. We beat Liverpool 1-0 at Anfield and I was there and lived to tell the tale.

17. Meramex

I wanted to make a point that Liverpool already have lost more games than they did the whole of last season. Their squad is no doubt weaker. And to answer your question, yes i do believe Liverpool's dominance was due to the Munich crash. But enough of this, that's in the past. Their are a lot exciting games this week. Here are the fixtures:
    SATURDAY:
    [Burnley V Sunderland] Turf Moor
    [Arsenal V Wigan] The Emirates
    [AstVilla V Portsmouth] Villa Park
    [Bolton V Stoke] Reebok Stadium
    [Hull V Birmingham] KC Stadium
    [WestHam V Liverpool] Boleyn Ground

SUNDAY:
    [ManUtd V ManCity] Old Trafford
    [Wolves V Fullham] Molineux
    [Everton V Blackburn] Goodison Park
    [Chelsea V Tottenham] Stamford Bridge

Another week of games between the Big 4 and the pretenders. ManCity without Adebayor, Tevez, or Robinho are not expected to put up a fight with United. While Tottenham with their heartbreaking lose to United don't have much momentum going into the game while Chelsea are still unbeaten in the league this season. But games are won on the field and not on paper, so one can never know how things are gonna work out. Liverpool are expected to hammer the Hammers as stated by Kuyt, but who knows. And arsenal are expected to win after back to back defeats at Manchester against Wigan who have never won a match against any one of the big 4 clubs.

18. iamlegend

Explain...

So is last season, which makes your point of Liverpool having already lost more games than last season a moot one....

19. Meramex

Results from last night:

[Arsenal 4-0 Wigan]
    Not much of a competition. Wigan had the rare break with rodallega,and the gomez lending a hand one or two times, but as good as he is, he can't go on and score goals alone. Wigan were literally hammered throughout the course of the whole game. Van Persie feeling a little merciful spared wigan a couple of times. Wigan had a defensive mentality going into the game. Focusing on defense gives you very few chances of attacking. Like i said Rodaellga was alone on the arsenal side. This gave chances for full backs like vermalen to come up, and wigan were outnumbered even in their own half! Vermalen scored two fantastic goals. Eduardo shot it but the credit of the third goal went to Eboue cause it hit his leg. And Fabregas brought it home with a fantastic finish from Bedtners cross. A few weeks ago i read in the paper that Bedtner was angry at arsene wenger because he was played in midfield while he insisted he was a striker. But yesterday we all saw that a role as a winger on either side suits him better. If he keeps arguing with the manager i can see him finding a one way ticket out of the club.
    It was nice to see Thomas Rosiscky back at the Emirates.

[AstonVilla 2-0 Portsmouth]
    Portsmouth didn't truly even have a chance against an in form villa side. They didn't play defensively, but their attack wasn't good enough t get through the Villa defense. An absolutely spectacular goal from agbonlahor sealed portsmouth's fate. Portsmouth have lost all their games so far and changes must be undertaken if they want to secure their stay in the premier league.

[Bolton 1-1 Stoke]
    Wasn't that interesting. Boring really.

[Hull 0-1 Birmingham]
    People beginning to question hull's fate after heir recent performances........

[WestHam 2-3 Liverpool]
    An absolute cracker of a game.Twice Liverpool led. Twice WestHam equalized but in the end a goal from Fernando Torres separated the two sides. Both teams played excellent attacking football, and even though they lost, the hammers ave something new to sing about. Young Gabriel Hines, ab-so-lute-ly spec-ta-cu-lar. He was running circles around the Liverpool defence, especially Carragher. Carlton Cole also looking good.
    Hey, do any of you know that Torres has just recently published a book. An autobiography of himself. NIce book talks about his days in Athletico and his grandfather.

[Burnley 3-1 Sunderland]
    This was the one game of the week which everyone said they knew the answer to. but burnley have done it once again and this time it was Sunderland who was at heir Mercy. Substitue Nugent scored two goals past the sunderland net. Sunderland did score a wonderful equalizer from Bent at the one goal mark, but yesterday truly was burnley's day. After defeating champions United, Everton and Sunderland their latest victim they have officially become one the teams favored to stay at the premier league this season.

20. grimsim1

Hines had a good game but I think he was a little overrated. Lets look at it this way, every time he went on a run he ended up falling rather easily for my liking. A few times Skrtel got pulled back. Why? Because he was way bigger than Hines and the striker saw it as an opportunity to fall too easily under the challenges. I acknowledge that he was a handful but a few times he was overplayed in that he was falling too easily. The penalty was also way too harsh. Carra was just playing the usual defensive pressure and Hines, typically, threw himself to the ground when he realised he had nowhere to go. Rather annoying if you ask me. Anyway, Liverpool outplayed West Ham in the second half and they were lucky to only go down by 3. Good to see Liverpool back on form. The defence is shaky though. Are there any Liverpool fans here that agree with me that maybe Carragher is losing his touch a little? I can't wait to get Agger back. He is our best CB.