1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Barclays Premier League Season 2009/2010

Discussion in 'Sports' started by meganova, Aug 4, 2009.

?

Which team will make a breakthrough to the top 4?

1. Tottenham!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nah, Manchester City of course!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. It will be Aston Villa..

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ... Liverpool still have their chance... I believe in them!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other teams will make a surprise!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. dmac154

dmac154 Well-Known Member

Given as best in the league? I wouldn't go that far. For me it'd be Reina, Cech, Schwarzer, Van Der Sar, Given and Jasskalienen etc..

2. Meramex

Meramex Well-Known Member

I wonder where New Castle are now???
    Now this is sensible.

3. grimsim1

grimsim1 Well-Known Member

I said if not the best then one of the best. Read carefully. The only thing that doesn't make Given seem like a good keeper so people don't recognise him is the defenders in front of him. A keeper can't do much really in a one-on-one situation with a striker or in a set piece where the centre backs aren't marking their man. With a wide goal and only one man in front it is easy to score. You ask where Newcastle is now? Think about the fact that there are 11 people out on the field and not just 1 goalkeeper. 1 man does not win games.

4. dmac154

[me=dmac154]coughs Cristiano Ronaldo. Heh.[/me]
    I get what you're saying grimsim, even when he was at Newcastle, they didnt have good enough players in front of him to help defend. Even now at City, he's got Dunne and Lescott, but they are enough :|

5. The13Th

The13Th Well-Known Member

chelsea losing 3-1 to wigan
    man utd getting away with a 2-0 win against stoke (g0 giggs!)

6. Meramex

I think we have had enough of the "who's the best keeper in the league" debate. Now for the results from yesterday:

[Portsmouth 0-1 Everton]
    Predictable. Portsmouth did have a few good chances but failed to convert any of them.

[Birmingham 1-2 Bolton]
    Bolton took an earl lead to which Birmingham scored the equalizer in the second half but a goal just at the end from Bolton sealed all three points for them. Inspite of their loss Birmingham have shown skill and composure to make sure they stay for the next season.

[Blackburn 2-1 Astonvilla]
    Villa took the early lead with a goal from agbonlahor. But Blackburn fought hard to clinch victory from the jaws of defeat, to a lower extent.

[Liverpool 6-1 Hull]
    Hull clearly had no choice. A hat-trick from Torres, two goals from Babel and a superb shot from Gerrard sealed the night. Hull's going, they're still going, and sadly they're nearly gone.

[Stoke 0-2 United]
    Stoke were one of those rare teams that get promoted and do extremely well. I would say they have the quality and the opportunity to clinch a Europa League spot this year. Nani still very disappointing. No where near as good as he was at the beginning of the season. But Giggs showed how much he still has left in him. Providing assists for both of the goals to lead United to the top of the table.

[Tottenham 5-0 Burnley]
    Tottenham showing everyone why they could still be serious title contenders and if not still get a champions league spot. Burnley showing they are deadly at home, but disastrous away.

[Wigan 3-1 Chelsea]
    Yyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeesssssssssss. Chelsea have finally lost and Wigan have their first victory of one of the big four clubs. Wigan played good football. Quick short passes and accurate through balls placed between the Chelsea defence made them look stupid, chelsea that is. Chelsea even lost Cech. It would've been a goal anyway but Cech just ruined chelsea's chances of winning the game and the next game against Liverpool!!!!!!!!!!

[Fullham 0-1 Arsenal]
    Their are many words I can use to describe this game, but two words stick out, WATCH IT. Not many goals but full of chances. Fullham with most of them and some fantastic keeping from Mannone.
    Post Merge: [time]1254040354[/time]
    I'm gonna post next weeks fixtures early to give more people the time to come up with predictions.

Saturday 3rd October 2009
    [Bolton Wanderers V Tottenham Hotspur]
    [Burnley V Birmingham City]
    [Hull City V Wigan Athletic]
    [Wolverhampton V Portsmouth]
    [Manchester United V Sunderland]

Sunday 4th October 2009
    [Arsenal V Blackburn Rovers]
    [Everton V Stoke City]
    [West Ham United V Fulham]
    [Chelsea V Liverpool]

Monday 5th October 2009
    [Aston Villa V Manchester City]

Chelsea V Liverpool being the big game next week. So what do you think. I'm going for a 3-1 win for Liverpool.

7. iamlegend

iamlegend Well-Known Member

You mean a poor cross from Gerrard?

Excuses, excuses. With the exception of Dave Kitson who seems to be rediscovering his touch,
    Stoke have no quality whatsoever. They may be organised and work hard, but they don't have quality.

If I was you, as a United fan, I'd be worried.
    The signs are bad when Nani is the only one creating anything in the first half
    and then it takes an old man to come off the bench to provide the spark needed to win the game.

Predictions:

[Bolton Wanderers 2-3 Tottenham Hotspur]
    [Burnley 2-0 Birmingham City]
    [Hull City 0-2 Wigan Athletic]
    [Wolverhampton 1-2 Portsmouth]
    [Manchester United 2-1 Sunderland]
    [Arsenal 4-0 Blackburn Rovers]
    [Everton 1-1 Stoke City]
    [West Ham United 1-3 Fulham]
    [Chelsea 0-2 Liverpool]
    [Aston Villa 2-4 Manchester City]

8. grimsim1

My Predictions

Bolton Wanderers 0-2 Tottenham Hotspur
    Burnley 2-0 Birmingham City
    Hull City 2-2 Wigan Athletic
    Wolverhampton 2-1 Portsmouth
    Manchester United 2-1 Sunderland
    Arsenal 2-0 Blackburn Rovers
    Everton 3-0 Stoke City
    West Ham United 2-0 Fulham
    Chelsea 0-1 Liverpool
    Aston Villa 2-2 Manchester City

9. Meramex

I try to be nice when writing about Liverpool and this is how you treat me :-[

Here are my predictions:

[Bolton Wanderers 0-3 Tottenham Hotspur]
    [Burnley 2-0 Birmingham City]
    [Hull City 1-4 Wigan Athletic]
    [Wolverhampton 0-2 Portsmouth]
    [Manchester United 3-0 Sunderland]
    [Arsenal 4-1 Blackburn Rovers]
    [Everton 3-2 Stoke City]
    [West Ham United 2-2 Fulham]
    [Chelsea 1-3 Liverpool]
    [Aston Villa 2-4 Manchester City]

PS. Giggs is still the master. ;D :D ???

10. grimsim1

He wasn't trying to be rude. He was just saying Gerrard tried to cross the ball there but it flew in.

You are brave to think Bolton will thrash Spurs 3-0 ;)

11. Meramex

Yeah, fixed that. It came out wrong.

Hey, anyone watch the ManCity game. Wasn't it supposed to be yesterday. I sat in front of my TV for at least 3 hours but couldn't find it. If you saw could you tell me the result and on which channel it was shown.

12. oohmeplums

oohmeplums Active Member

Ok I'll conform.
    Bolton 1 Spurs 3
    Burnley 2 Birmingham 1
    Hull 2 Wigan 2
    Wolves 1 Pompey 3
    Man U 3 Sunderland 1
    Arsenal 2 Blackburn 0
    Everton 3 Stoke 1
    West Ham 1 Fulham 1
    Chelsea 2 Liverpool 2
    Aston Villa 2 Man City 3

13. Meramex

ManCity 3-1 WestHam

Manchester City's sublime start to the season continued on Monday night with Carlos Tevez doing the damage against former club West Ham United.
    City's fifth win out of their opening six matches represented their best start since 1961, but it is the here and now that Blues supporters are more interested in.
    Two Tevez goals and a first-half free-kick from Martin Petrov scarcely did justice to their dominance.
    West Ham were second best for much of the match, even though Carlton Cole did score an equaliser, and on this evidence they will not be the last as City seem to have found an irresistible mix of brilliant attacking play and solid defending.
    Petrov remains a big danger and a worthwhile asset and was afforded his first start when Stephen Ireland was ruled out through illness.
    He clearly intended to make the most of it and, after presenting Tevez with a tap-in following his forceful left-wing burst, was soon celebrating a goal too.
    There may have been an element of good fortune about the free-kick City were awarded for Luis Jimenez's minor shove on Nigel de Jong, but the finish was pretty emphatic.
    Petrov drilled it into the bottom corner before edging towards Hughes in his dug-out and pulling the back of his shirt to emphasise his name.
    Attack after attack washed over West Ham, with Tevez, Petrov, strike partner Craig Bellamy and Joleon Lescott all going close.
    Staggeringly though, Petrov had actually put City back in front for, on their first attack, the Hammers had equalised when Cole turned home Radoslav Kovac's volley.
    A simple offside manoeuvre proved beyond the Hammers defence when Bellamy floated over a free-kick just after the hour mark.
    As the visitors raced out, three City men were left to queue up to score, Tevez nodding home from six yards.
    It was the end of the goals, but not the chances.
    Barry went close with a thunderous effort before Roque Santa Cruz made his debut after spending all the time since his £17m summer move from Blackburn Rovers recovering from knee surgery.
    The Paraguayan even had a chance to score as he clipped a shot wide at the near post after more good work from Petrov as it ended 3-1.

14. dmac154

Bolton [0 v 2] Spurs
    Burnley [2 v 1] Birmingham
    Hull [1 v 2] Wigan
    Wolves [3 v 1] Pompey
    Man U [2 v 1] Sunderland
    Arsenal [5 v 0] Blackburn
    Everton [2 v 0] Stoke
    West Ham [0 v 0] Fulham
    Chelsea [3 v 2] Liverpool
    Aston Villa [1 v 3] Man City

15. Meramex

Can't believe no one posted while I was away. Anyway here are this week's fixtures:

Saturday 17th October 2009
    [AstonVilla V Chelsea]
    [Arsenal V Birmingham City]
    [Everton V Wolverhampton Wanderers]
    [Manchester United V Bolton Wanderers]
    [Portsmouth V Tottenham Hotspur]
    [StokeCity V WestHam]
    [Sunderland V Liverpool]

Sunday 18th October 2009
    [Blackburn Rovers V Burnley]
    [Wigan Athletic V Manchester City]

Monday 19th October 2009
    [Fulham V Hull City]
    Post Merge: [time]1255514159[/time]
    Bolton may be good but i dont reckon the have a chance against United. It's hard to call the City V Wigan game. One game Wigan's awesome the other they stink. But since they have the home advantage i'l go for a wigan win. Hard to call the Chelsea game to, but i'll go for a 1-1 draw since Villa have good home form. Portsmouth, try not to lose by too many goals. And that's all, the other games i'm not gonna bother with

16. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

Last Week Result
    Saturday 31st October 2009
    Arsenal 3-0 Tottenham Hotspur
    Bolton Wanderers 0-4 Chelsea
    Burnley 2-0 Hull City
    Everton 1-1 Aston Villa
    Fulham 3-1 Liverpool
    Portsmouth 4-0 Wigan Athletic
    Stoke City 2-2 Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sunderland 2-2 West Ham United
    Manchester United 2-0 Blackburn Rovers

Sunday 1st November 2009
    Birmingham City 0-0 Manchester City

17. GlidingGoose

GlidingGoose Well-Known Member

ARRRRRRRR

Liverpool is sucking this year!

18. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

The top 4 performance looks inconsistent this season.

19. dmac154

Except for chelsea, they have been doing well and only 1 loss if i recall.

20. Meramex

Actually 2. Next weeks match could determine the winner of the league even at this stage.
    United V Chelsea.