1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Seph, Feb 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MessoMesso

MessoMesso Well-Known Member

Thank God! RomU would never be the same without that little "kukuku" here and there...

2. rock91

rock91 Well-Known Member

Hey seph if I do the same with my forum (SMF 2.0 RC2) and let the members UPLOAD their avatars, won't it lag the forum? Or the server? I use a free host and my database is 6GB big

3. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

I knew you'd be here asking that once I told you. XD

4. Hypr

Hypr Well-Known Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your avatar was so awesome with it! :(

5. MessoMesso

MessoMesso Well-Known Member

I know, right?

Well, at least there'll be less typographical errors in my post now that I won't be so distracted by her avatar. Though I prefer cutesy Lolitas...

6. markswan

markswan Well-Known Member

Maybe as as act of remembrance; somebody should be elected to speak at the mass funeral held for all of the Photobucket accounts in 90 days time.

7. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

Eh? I thought that previously, only remote hosts were allowed for some reason I don't quite recall. Am I thinking of another forum or is this a legitimate about-face?

8. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

legitimate about-face.

9. Seph

That's funny because mine isn't even half that. And yeah, free host - probably not a good idea to put up too many images.

10. markswan

markswan Well-Known Member

No, you're absolutely right; it's sheer coincidence that everyone decided to delete them all off their hard disks at the same time.

11. Seph

You're really confused. Tehuber was referring to the fact that before we did not allow users to upload avatars at all, now we force it.

12. Jonez001

Jonez001 Well-Known Member

I like this new feature!

13. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Wait a minute-wasn't there some security flaw with uploading avatars to the server?

14. Seph

Keyword: Was.

15. Jonez001

What is the max. size of an avatar?

16. rock91

rock91 Well-Known Member

lol...Gotcha. But how do remote avatars affect the forum's speed?
    Post Merge: [time]1267025668[/time]
    96x96

17. Lukav

Lukav Well-Known Member

Well, at least you chose the best avatar from the randomizer. =P

18. Seph

When it's remote we have no idea what file size it is, also there's no resizing going on so someone could link a 200MB image. Now that's it's on the server we get a nice list ordered list of file size and can contact people who upload avatars too large.

Also, for the end user the amount of DNS look ups required per page is hopefully reduced now.

19. rock91

rock91 Well-Known Member

I see. But I don't think anyone is stupid enough to link a 20 MB or more pics. Or is there O.O ...lol
    I also read that for SMF to run faster you could simply change the Attachement directory, so that the attachments will be saved in another location. Same for the avatars. Here's the link to the source Seph:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=293441.0

20. Jonez001

I mean in kB!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.