1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Are you affected by sins you have committed in games in real life?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by markswan, Feb 1, 2010.

1. sinharvest24

sinharvest24 Guest

i don't get it...

2. MessoMesso

MessoMesso Well-Known Member

OH MY GOD YOU DID TAKE THE BLUE PILL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redpill

3. sinharvest24

sinharvest24 Guest

ok i did...:p

4. PauRecca

PauRecca New Member

well... sometimes... it depends on what game you play... though im not bothered killing reploids... ^^

5. markswan

markswan Well-Known Member

Which is why i feel blessed that you have contributed to it with such grand existential philosophy.
    The majority of the posts on this thread that are on topic are along the lines of (no, of course my actions in games don't influence me in real life: games aren't real; duhhhhh...). When i created this topic i was hoping to get a debate going that garnered enough intellectual effort to be mentally stimulating and entertaining.
    Sadly the only debate was a Stonewall protest based in sarcasm and aimed at someone so confined in their ideas by the grip of religion that they couldn't argue their bigoted views effectively (or even intelligibly). Possibly i didn't do a good enough job setting up the thread or keeping it on course.
    I think this thread should die now and stop rising from the coffin like a retarded old person that won't exept that they are of no use and their life was so meaningless that their family sold their house out from under them and buried them in what was left of the shed. That's a pretty good metaphor, i think it in keeps with the rambling nature of this thread.
    lET It diE...

6. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Mark, you're so negative. TSK TSK.

Also it's hard to get a debate going if it's either a yes or a no.

'Do you like Halo?'

"NO"

'NO, U RETARDLOLLOLOLOLOL, yes i liks itttit'

"HOMOSLIKHALOLOL"

etc etc

If you want to look at an actual debate, it's not just yes or no. Like that Nintendo topic I made a little while ago.

7. redoperator

redoperator Well-Known Member

oh, I got nagged by my friend for shooting him in the face with a sniper rifle in MW:2... does that count as being affected by sins I have committed in games in real life? ???

because I murdered him online ::)... and did acts of homosexuality (T-bag) :p

/camp ;D

8. markswan

The reason i gave an example from my real life was so that other people would do the same, even if the answer is ultimately "no i don't"; i was hoping for something more. This being a forum populated by people who enjoy games to no small extent, i was hoping that those that enjoy being immersed in a game world would share some of their experiences of this form of media influencing them.
    Maybe "Do Your Actions in Games Affect You in Real Life" would have been better for this as it doesn't automatically have moral implications.

I've got to say though; you implying that there was never any possibility of debate in this thread followed by you plugging of your own thread is pretty sly.

9. manjithxxx

manjithxxx Well-Known Member

I keep my morale attitude even when I'm gaming no matter what the consequence. I guess i got it from my mother..this helping the helpless attitude and doing the right thing attitude.

10. Zydaline

Zydaline Well-Known Member

Well...No.
    I used to burn everyone to death on True Crime : NY's street, but as a general thing, it doesn't affect me in real. It did cross my mind to wonder briefly if it's some kind of manifestation of an inner psychotic self though. Oh, that or maybe I'm a sadist.

But hm, if so many are doing it...That seems to lend this a new angle. Perhaps an illuminating light on how we humans are really like?

11. markswan

These are the sort of posts that i wanted.
    manjithxxx, it is good that you can transfer the lessons taught to you in real life into your actions in games; even though they are not real, whilst you are playing; game characters are as real as you want them to be. People get emotional because of things that happen in books and films; gaming is a more interactive form of media than both of these mediums. You don't have to leave your morals at he door; the main reasons people play games is to have fun, escape briefly from reality or experience things that they wouldn't or couldn't normally. If even in the act of escapism you are consider the morality of your actions whilst having fun without this taking away from your experience then great for you.

Zydaline, the fact that you considered the cause of your actions and chose them not to be immoral probably means that you are introspective enough to not allow them to influence you in real life. Not everybody needs to consider their actions in games; as for some people (myself usually included) the thought of someone being led to doing something ridiculous and out of character because of a game is stupid, and usually accusations like that are slung around by people who don't play them and just want something to cast blame upon.
    Some people are morally aware all of the time in everything they do, others; only when they believe it makes an actual difference to the real world and is not just a memory to be forgotten or stored to only be recollected a second-class happening in a non existent world.

Or maybe i prattle on like Spock from StarTrek and talk a load of pretentious sounding crap and hope that the next few posts, should they exist, stay on topic instead of highlighting this...

Only you can decide!

12. redoperator

redoperator Well-Known Member

that is illogical... not