1. This forum is in read-only mode.

are roms illegal

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fire9132, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

I think it was more of a personal note, from the angle that id get done for it harsher than most others lol. Sucks for me.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

UK Law works on a similar principle. For something to be stolen, the prosecution must prove that you took it with intent to deprive the rightful owner of it. If intent cannot be proven (i.e you returned the item) you cannot be convicted of theft.

3. nomercy

nomercy Well-Known Member

It's legal to download here in the Netherlands. Uploading isn't.

Also, who here still pays 65-70 euro for a new game? Like who bought Halo 3 when it was released?

4. megadethnatic

megadethnatic Member

I can at least say that in the german law, you are allowed to make a backup of software (and games are software) and therefor you are even allowed to crack a copy-protection.

5. maxpowersin

maxpowersin Member

Interesting discussion and nice info...

I would like to add a few words...

I personally believe making backup copies of games is legal.

Also R4 and other flash cart guys will state in the court that their products are for homebrew stuff only..

Though they release firmware updates which fix game playability issues (illegal roms!!)

I am not against any flash cart manufacturer or any sites offering roms!!

Just sharing my thoughts
    :)

6. sean-dude

sean-dude Well-Known Member

some wise words, from a silly man.

i myself believe that Roms are illegal and that anyone using them could be taken to court but, and this is a big but, lots of people use them and find them very useful. so if you do actually use them, they are for your pleasure but you are at your own risk. just saying even though i use them.