1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Anyone play a musical instrument?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by anandjones, Feb 23, 2008.

1. big_jake_420

big_jake_420 Well-Known Member

i learned to play Enter Sandman yesterday on guitar

2. xillion

xillion Member

o__o I know how to play piano. Well, the eletronic keyboard. XP Anyway, I'm no pro, but I can make some music. Though I dont have any really nice music to play. Lately I've been trying to play some Phoenix Wright music. XD

3. Ravenous_Fists

Ravenous_Fists New Member

I play a mean acoustic.

4. Void

Void Well-Known Member

Call me too modern, but I really dislike the sound of most Fenders. Single-coil pickups are simply out of date by 40 years, really. There's nothing like that dull buzzing whenever you plug in. And of course the only real difference between a Squier and a Fender is that a Squier is the cheaper version, meaning less exciting sound, a mutation of Fender's already-horrid necks, and even more buzzing from poorly constructed pickups.

Anyways, I've played just a few Samicks, and only acoustics but I've got to say that for a rather cheap price, they sounded quite nice. Anyways, in terms of what I play, I take the great-fuzz, highly sensitive, and easy-harmonic Ibanez guitars. Particularly the RG series. There's other fantastic models I've played out there, including the infamous Gibson SG (great for just easy low-drive/gain jamming) and Les Paul, but also many Jacksons (though I hate to be judgmental, something is just not right with most Jackson headstocks :p), and some PRS have started to grow on me also. I suppose I play more electric than acoustic, but I do have a a Yamaha FG, the most under-rated line of acoustics there is, though that guy from Plain White T's or whatever seems to have the right idea. ;)

I've been reluctant to reply to this topic, since, with most like it, the majority of the people come in and say "ya I play guitar," meaning they can play 3 or so chords, which I do not consider being a guitar player or hobbyist even. There are of course exceptions to this. And since we've got some good brand discussion going on, I'm all for this.

5. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Yes that's true, I didn't have much money, and I didn't want to get any of the other unheard guitar brands so I got a Squier. Anyways, I sold it a while ago, and got myself a Samick LS-11 electric. Really awesome, and my older brother got the pickups replaced with Gibson pickups. He knows the members of Athenic, a Christchurch NZ death metal band so he worked something out :D I reckon the Jackson Dinky headstocks are pretty awesome. And yes, a lot of people say "I play guitar" without any info whatsoever. I assure you, I play guitar.

6. thebass324

thebass324 Well-Known Member

I've been playing the double bass in orchestras for about 9 years, but 6-string bass guitar is where it's at for me. I've been trying to work through Martyr's "Feeding the Abscess" album recently (technical death metal), and it is definitely one of the hardest things I've ever tried; you know it's hard when the bass solo is one of the easiest tracks (it's an interlude composition by the bass player). I've also attempted keyboard several times, but suck horribly at it compared to bass so I've basically given up on it; now I just hook up the keyboard into my amp and turn down the trebles and mids and turn up the bass with explosion effects to annoy neighbors I don't like.

7. equitypetey

equitypetey Well-Known Member

i don't even get to play my bass with the amp on as i live above someone and i have a 15'' deep bass cab made by ashdown, i only have to turn the volume knob up on my head a little bit and the place shakes.

8. Void

Void Well-Known Member

My dad bought an Ashdown stack just recently. With the headstock, I wouldn't be surprised if it racked up a couple thousand USD worth of bass amplification. A little insane if you ask me. He owns musical equipment that makes me totally jealous, but I get to play it occasionally so it's all good with me ;). His main bass guitar is one of those expensive Rickenbacker basses, and his main electric guitar is a several-thousand USD Gretsch.

Anandjones: I think I'm going to have to check out a Samick electric. If they're anything like the acoustics, I have a feeling I'll be quite impressed.