1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Anyone here speak or write a different language?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by anandjones, Mar 29, 2008.

1. derkesthai

derkesthai New Member

Cool, I'm taking a linguistics module at uni this semester and I'm enjoying it!

Anyway to answer the question, I speak English, Mandarin, Hokkien (it's supposedly a Chinese "dialect"), and I've been learning Japanese for about a year now. I took Spanish last semester and thought it was pretty cool, but I didn't have enough interest to continue, so my very rudimentary Spanish allows me to greet you and tell you that you have pretty long hair. LOL.

Yup that sounds about right, heh, but I'm no expert. :p

2. iamlegend

iamlegend Well-Known Member

It's called slang....completely different from dialect...

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

pants instead of trousers isn't slang.

4. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Since you seem to be a Filipino, find time, if you can, to go to the University of the Philippines, Diliman Campus. Once there, go to my College, the Arts & Sciences Department, Faculty Center or FC. Inside on the second floor, the Linguistics department, you can find this big map of the Philippines showing the ten prevailant languages in the country, the map is there to show the distribution of areas using each Language

Update::

I don't really know if my College department has heard of this, but according to Wikipedia there appears to be 13 Languages in the Philippines!

When did they add the 3 new ones!! I've got to ask my Professors about this, anyway here's the Wikipedia link to settle this:

http://209.85.175.104/search?q=cache:utK3-v_WNoYJ:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_the_Philippines+10+languages+used+in+the+philippinesw&hl=tl&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=ph

5. iamlegend

iamlegend Well-Known Member

pants and trousers are used equally in both regions....
    Well...perhaps not equally...but they are used in both regions

6. cafre

cafre Active Member

i can speak and write Spanish "perfecto", also i understand a little of portuges

7. sesa

sesa Well-Known Member

My primary language is Farsi (4 dialects Hereti,Dari,Irinani and Mezare)
    I also can speak and write Arabic but only Old Arabic i do not know any of the modern dilects exept the the Saudi bedawins Hilzah clan.
    English
    Spanish(2 years of high school and living in California has taught me much.
    A few word of Japaneses just from watching so much anime.

8. Tboi

Tboi Well-Known Member

Well, I understand Dutch, French, German, a bit of latin, and (ofcourse) not-to-bad English.
    I wan't to learn Japanese, but I'm not that kind of wapanese who does it xD