1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Anyone here speak or write a different language?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by anandjones, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Sprite

Sprite Well-Known Member

For German, google "Knuckles in China Land".

Also good for learning Japanese katakana and some other language I forget right now.

2. err

err Well-Known Member

Can write and speak English and Spanish. Learning Chinese soon. A few words of Malay.

3. iamlegend

iamlegend Well-Known Member

My I ask why you want to learn Latin ?
    Unless you're planning to enter the priesthood....

4. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

To Kamage:

Tagalog
    Kapampangan
    Ilonggo
    Ilokano
    Tausug
    Hiligaynon
    Cebuano
    Pangasinense

And 2 others I forgot AREN'T dialects, they ARE 8 of the 10 distinct languages in the Philippines, the term Dialect only refers to a certain variant of a know language dependent on the place said language variant is used.

Take you for example, you said you're in Cavite, being so close to Manila & Laguna, your region's language is Tagalog AND your dialect is either Manileño Tagalog or Batangueño Tagalog, the main sign is if you use the "Ala eh" of people in Laguna.

As for myself,

I speak & write in Kapampangan
    I speak & write in Manileño Tagalog, characterized by its adaptation of bastardisation of English

Take the example:

"Nag Starbucks ako kanina, tine- text kita pero di you reply sa'kin"

As you can see this sentence included words in English that were "Tagalized" or given tagalog assignations.

Said sentence in English is:

I was hanging out at Starbucks, while there I was sending you Text (sms) messages but you never replied.

In "raw" Tagalog above sentence should be:

Tumambay ako sa Starbucks tine-text (there is no accurate Tagalog for "tine-text" or sending text messages 'cause the word text is literally "sulat" or to hand write & such word replacement would deem erratic) kita pero hindi ("di" is the contraction of "hindi" or no/not) ka sumasagot.

Some Linguists in the Philippines keep on saying that adopting & adapting words from other languages is barbaric, because it degrades the quality of said language (so they say), but in truth, borrowing words from other languages is proof that language is dynamic, that it can grow & change.

Why am I sounding like a linguist myself?

It's because I am!! Linguistics was one of my Majors in College & I'VE focused on the Languages of our Country.

5. Truth

Truth Active Member

I can speak British English and American English. They're plenty different!

I also know a little French... about two years of B's in High School's worth, anyway.

6. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

The different variants of English are what the term Dialect means (according to my University Professors), which kinda annoys me when people applying as Call Center Agents are asked the requirement "Fluent in Spoken English" WTF!!! Which English variant? American? British?

If American which Dialect? New Yorker English? Texan English? Kajun country English? Grr!!!

What's worse, my countrymen hate & blatantly dispises our Filipino English because it sounds "wrong", but come to think of it, which English IS CORRECT?

Quick answer, British English, but would you Americans take that whole heartedly?

7. Truth

Truth Active Member

Naturally "british" english is the original/proper way to pronounce it, but like all languages that can be disputed. Languages have a nasty tendency to overlap one another when you dig down far enough!

Any American who thinks their english is correct is blindly patriotic [an idiot] or has no idea how the country was formed [perhaps a child].

8. iamlegend

iamlegend Well-Known Member

British English and American Engish are not very different at all, apart from a few words that are spelt
    slightly different....colour/color etc.
    Maybe what confuses you into thinking they are different is the difference between the American and British accents...

9. dmac154

dmac154 Well-Known Member

i can speak and understand French, cant write it anymore
    i also speak Patois < its a Jamaican language.
    and English too

10. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

they have entirely different words for things too.

11. Patton

Patton Guest

English, Spanish, Dutch.

That's really it.

12. MusicAddict911

MusicAddict911 Well-Known Member

I can speak/write French to a certain extent.

13. big_jake_420

big_jake_420 Well-Known Member

Ching Chong.... :p

14. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

Are you being racist?

15. MiDoZ

MiDoZ Member

arabic ;D

16. Truth

Truth Active Member

Exactly.

17. Roshi

Roshi Well-Known Member

日本語をかけることができますよ〜

I hope that was correct. >â—Š<

18. sla03rs

sla03rs Well-Known Member

Chinese
    English
    Filipino (Tagalog is a dialect, Filipino is the national language but its heavily influenced by Tagalog)

19. Pantera

Pantera Active Member

Well, I know english and spanish...not much really. (2 languages whatever I wish I knew Japanese!)

20. TidusBlade

TidusBlade Member

I read and write Arabic pretty well and I know basic French and Spanish from high school, but probably just the basics.