1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Am I the only person who likes being rickrolled?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by treec_cynda, Oct 31, 2010.

?

Do you like being rickrolled?

1. Yes, they're awesome!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yeah, kinda

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I usually avoid rickrolls but if I'm too stupid...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, but they're okay I guess

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Hell no!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. manaseater

manaseater Well-Known Member

SDHC

Maybe im not looking in the right places.... But i havent been rick rolled in ages-

2. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

I have read thru thios entire topic...what's this about SDHC?

Maybe I missed a point, new modded swear filter has omitted many works such as "rick roll" from my laptop.

3. manaseater

SDHC

Ah crap- my phone browser isnt adding the correct subject line automatically- aaaand i dunno how to change it! Even now i think the title will be sdhc-

4. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

the song it self wasnt bad, but when i click on something, i want that thing, not some unrelated stuff. so rick roll is annoying.

you know what, someone should rickroll Rick Astley and see if he like it.

5. CoolKill3r

CoolKill3r Well-Known Member

This is even worse!

6. treec_cynda

treec_cynda Guest

Aren't those just the lyrics for the song?

7. manaseater

Rick roll

Anyone play dota? You can kinda rick roll people in game-

8. klaimore

klaimore Well-Known Member

Is this considered like Rick'Roll? 'Cos it's fken funny. Found it randomly LOL.

9. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Warning, long fucking rant ahead.

Not at all. I admire the people who can come up with a meme and make it popular. I REALLY don't like using the word hate, if you think about the meaning of hate you'll find how abused it actually is. You don't hate very often at all, a lot of people actually live their entire lives never hating, just disliking. Therefore, what I dislike is the endless regurgitation of memes, the personality lacking and blandness of copying those before you and the audacity to feel smug about it.

Rick-rolling strangers is one of those things were you feel all smug for doing it, there is no inside joke or friendly competition going on, it's just pulling one over on people you don't know. So what I dislike is the attitude behind rick-rolling.

Meme using in general just puts me off a person, are they so without imagination that they must resort to memes to be funny?

That said, I like memes on 4chan. Why you wonder? Well let me tell you! Most memes originate there and there is a community around them, meme using on 4chan brings feelings of community and closeness, it's this inside thing one can do while on 4chan to feel like part of the flock. Reddit has the same thing with bacon and narwhales, it's stupid but it works well while on Reddit, if you ever take it outside of Reddit people will just think you're stupid.

RomUlation has memes as well, we have the polar bear thing for instance, it brings a sense of being part of the core community to those who knows it, but if you ever posted about it somewhere else people would find you weird. So memes are great within the confines of their origin, but I dislike them when carelessly used everywhere.

tl;dr: Stop being lazy and read, it's good for you.

Edit: Rage comic that's relevant: http://i.imgur.com/IIKSk.png

10. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

tl;dr.

Rickrolls are slowly dying out.

11. alexong96

alexong96 Well-Known Member

He's not really the meme creator, nor did he create the song for the purpose of "rickrolling"

But he DID say he liked rickrolling once.

12. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

13. triemie

triemie Well-Known Member

nah i found wath obama did with mc cain funny :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HioPyCID6RI

14. manaseater

is this real?