1. This forum is in read-only mode.

alienware

Discussion in 'PC' started by Neon32, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Neon32

Neon32 Neo-Noir

i know ALIENWARE pc's are good for gaming is it good for normal works ?

2. athemoe

athemoe Well-Known Member

Why would you buy an overpriced gaming computer for work?

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

they are not good for gaming. They are horribly badly designed and overheat frequently, not to mention being massively overpriced, even for dells.

4. Neon32

Neon32 Neo-Noir

how about XPS ??

5. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

all dells are overpriced and designed to be very difficult to upgrade, if not impossible (they use parts with custom form factors so standard parts won't fit). They aren't the best designed either.

6. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

I agree that they are quite overpriced.
    But my dell works with most modern games, besides for that little lag.

I highly suggest you go to Puget Systems and customize a computer.

7. thricee

thricee Well-Known Member

there are modifications on windows 7 that can get your pc template look like you are using an alienware pc.if you are that stuck with alienware that is. a brand doesnt have anything to do on whether you are able to play a game or not but the hardware included has.you can have the best gaming pc and that wont be an alienware.alienware are supposed to be the best because they are the only ones advertised enough by profesional gamers :p

8. JamiePage

JamiePage Member

I have seen countless friends fall into the alienware trap, Pay extortionate prices for a clunky computer that could play the latest games on the market...For 6 months that is..then come the problems.

Overheating
    Hardware Failure (and coming to installing new components...well good luck)
    Software Corruption
    Etc.

In my own opinion and experience a custom build with better hardware and standard software is the safest and most satisfying option you can go for, not to mention you can upgrade and build it for exactly what you want it to do :D

9. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure all of those issues stem from overheating. You don't just have software corruption on its own...

I bought my alienware laptop for $275 second hand from my buddy. That's the only reason why I have one...It beat having to buy a $600 budget laptop from where ever and have roughly the same specs and Vista (at the time, instead of XP).

10. JamiePage

JamiePage Member

I totally agree and at that price its not a bad buy, im speaking to the point of buying a brand new computer for high price that in my own experience, seem to fail to deliver the quality for the money you're forking out.

I'm not saying software corruption and any other problems dont stem from over heating because i know it was a major factor, i was simply listing a couple of the problems that had followed that i had seen friends try and deal with :)

11. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

I would never go out and buy something this expensive for a computer. Just not gonna happen. I'd rather blow $2500 on an AR-15 plus accessories than even $1600 (even $700 actually lol) on a computer...

Why? Because 60 years after the fact, the AR-15 will still be useful, the computer...not so much.

And yes, I've dealt with my fair share of issues, but I'm pretty sure it was more towards my own retardedness than anything to do with the manufacturing process...