1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Addicted to Video Games or Social Media?

Discussion in 'Debates' started by garychencool, Feb 3, 2011.

1. garychencool

garychencool Well-Known Member

What is worse?

Being addicted to video games (on all systems) or social media? (Facebook, YouTube, Blogging, Twitter,etc which includes anything related to the news)

2. lewis9191

lewis9191 Well-Known Member

Well if you become addicted to a console you might get good and maybe something like MLG

Or if you are a good enough blogger you could earn a ton of money.

3. darkrequiem

darkrequiem Well-Known Member

I would think being addicted to video games is worse.
    If you are addicted to social networks, at least you are still *somewhat* connected to the real world. People immeasurably addicted to video games are not. Constant articles of parents being so absorbed in World of Warcraft, that their children died or were harmed, etc.
    It's quite sad.

4. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

This, lucky Im addicted to both.

Ps3 for gaming needs, facebook for chatting with friends since they hardly ring my mobile/trolling without modderation, game forums like this to let out my frustration.

Im set, social and anti socially XD

5. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I'm not aware of it happening because of people playing WoW, but it has definitely happened because of facebook, and farmville et al, numerous times.

I would say addiction to social networking is considerably more of a problem, actual addiction to video games is not nearly as common as it is made out to be.

6. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Despite the media blamming video games as often as ever (mostly for violence related issues, which they consider anti social :p )

7. iluvfupaburgers

iluvfupaburgers Well-Known Member

any kind of addiction is bad for someone

8. Oteupaiecona

Oteupaiecona Well-Known Member

True addiction of any kind is bad.
    It doesn't matter what it is you're addicted to, it's the fact that you are addicted that counts.(Fupa beat me to it)
    Now, about that ol' canard about how video games are bad for you and stuff, this Colbert Report interview from yesterday's show was pretty interesting.
    The woman claims video games are good for you:
    http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/373360/february-03-2011/jane-mcgonigal

9. darkrequiem

darkrequiem Well-Known Member

Yes, addiction to social networking is a more common issue, but addiction to video games is worse for a single person, which is what the OP asked.
    "What is worse? Being addicted to video games (on all systems) or social media?"

You are still connected to the world when on social networks. However, video games draw people away from reality when they are utterly addicted.
    (Also, Farmville is a video game. Yes, on Facebook, but still a game)

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=5114271

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Two-Fanatic-World-of-Warctaft-Gamers-Have-Died-Becouse-Of-WoW-11821.shtml

10. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

I say if you can function in life without being too held down I say meh, Im a game addict and spend alot on games but I hardly spend a whole paycheck on games alone.

I got my piroritories straight ;)

11. Inunah

Inunah Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter what you're addicted to. You'll still be that weird person who will only talk to people through some stupid thing.

Social media: You could be sitting next to your friend but you don't respond to them until they send you a message on Facebook/Twitter.
    Video games: You could be sitting next to your friend and be so shy that you run into the other room and send them a message on WoW.

12. garychencool

Ever since everyone was on FaceBook, people were writing on each others walls rather than on their binders. We used to chat on walkie talkies just for fun, now it's all Facebook-based :p

13. Bust-a Mover

Bust-a Mover Member

I would have to agree with you on this one.

@garychencool: I don't think Facebook & Youtube are on the same level, that is one is a social networking site (facebook) while the other is a video media sharing (in the form of giving the opportunity to have your videos seen by others) site.

I'm proudly a Youtube addict, but that's because I can watch some old cartoons & movies on there nothing more :)

14. garychencool

I am rather both, I am addicted to YouTube, video games and Forums like RomU :p

15. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

Addicted to doing good isn't so bad

16. Zydaline

Zydaline Well-Known Member

White Knight Syndrome gets old pretty fast.

On topic : I spend, during video game addictions, approximately 15 hours a day in front of my console/computer. Even the hardcore Facebookians can't clock that kind of time checking and posting updates. From a purely time standpoint, I'll say video gaming is worse.

17. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

I'd like to add that video games are in no way addictive. There is no medical definition for this situation, but research constantly monitors things like these, and these "addictions" are more on the obsession side.

I really don't wanna go into detail about this topic, but being obsessed with video games doesn't have many pros, since it displays several symptoms associated with true addictions. However, I'm more on Social Media obsession being worse than Video game addiction, since Social media addiction is "contagious" in a way that it attracts more and more people everyday. Nowadays, social media includes apps (or "garden games" as I like to call it) that keep the user hooked on the site for more luxurious options. They also seem to abuse the "social factor" that every person seems to have.

However, video games all come down to preference. You can't force a person to play a game they dont like.

18. slingshot182

slingshot182 Well-Known Member

this

19. redoperator

redoperator Well-Known Member

if I were to choose between the two, Video Games. I grew up with them and they are a way out of reality for me, SocialMedia is still a new concept for me and I don't use it that often (even Romulation is a form of social media if my memory serves me right).

BTW I use Social Media to help me in Video Games (if you drift my catch?)

20. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

well as long as its an addiction, its bad... but then this come from a guy who spend his last 6 days of 7 days vacation in his room playing PS3 until he get nature calls or sleepy.

anyway call me old, but i still dont like the idea of sharing personal information on the internet.