1. This forum is in read-only mode.

A thought experiment

Discussion in 'Debates' started by Reider, Apr 4, 2008.

1. clyffe28

clyffe28 Well-Known Member

I think I do not have the right to judge which one should live and which one should die

2. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

Like Death note?

3. clyffe28

clyffe28 Well-Known Member

yeah something like that

4. knoxus

knoxus Member

In both scenarios I chose the presented loophole-

Even though you may not be able to notify the 5 workers in the first example, nothing was said about not being able to notify the 1 worker. Therefore, my answer is flip the switch and warn the 1 worker of the oncoming train.

In the second example, nothing was said about not being able to notify the 5 workers on the bridge. So, obviously my answer is warn them of the oncoming train.

There, I potentially just saved 10 people.
    I want a medal.

5. iceredaph32

iceredaph32 Well-Known Member

but you potentialy left two people to die also

6. knoxus

knoxus Member

No, rethink that. I warned the 1 on the tracks in the first scenario, so he would have left before the train arrived.

I warned the 5 workers on the bridge before the train arrived so they should have left, giving me no reason to push the fat guy onto the tracks. However, a perfectly nice bridge meets its demise here.

7. gaynorvader

gaynorvader Well-Known Member

Clearly the only option would to be to leap onto the tracks and stop the incoming train with my herculian strength! ;)

8. multy

multy Member

A psychological test I presume? Judge me by all means.

If I count for what I will do... I will snag a rock and throw it to the 5 workers. Or scream for attention. If they are too far away... then I will do nothing but hope or pray that they will realize the situation.

1. I will not diverge the train. There is no insurance that the railroad leading to the one person is safer... it might lead to bigger casualties. But if I know either way is safe... I still will not diverge the train. There is still a chance that someone in the five man can notice the train coming. 5 is better than 1 in this case. 1 can be completely oblivious.

2. I will not push the fat guy. My analyzing is totally subjective in this matter. There has been no evidence that this kind of thing can happen. Adding death counts is no small matter.

If you want intuition... I am willing to bet that the train stop before reaching the workers and I have been worried over nothing...