1. This forum is in read-only mode.

A thought experiment

Discussion in 'Debates' started by Reider, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Reider

Reider Modereider

I read this somewhere else and thought it'd make for an interesting topic.

Consider the following situation (any considerations of realism shall be disregarded):

You are standing on a railroad. A fast, unmanned train is approaching from one direction. In the other, there's a turnout beyond which some railroad workers stand. Currently, it is set in a manner that the train would go straight and undoubtedly kill 5 railroad workers standing on that track (there is no chance of notifying them of the approaching train). You can, however, flip a switch to make the train go via the diverging track on which only one worker stands.

Now, consider a similar scenario, except there is no turnout, and you are standing on a bridge crossing the railroad (there still are 5 workers on it). In front of you, on the bridge, there is a particularly obese railroad worker who you easily could push down; you are sure he is heavy enough to stop the train upon collision, at the price of only his own life.

Would you push him down?

Intuition seems to make the second case seem a much worse decision than the first one, but, when you think about it, aren't they exactly the same?

What's your position? Did your first thought differ from the conclusion you came to after some thinking?

2. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

I'd probably push the guy down.. Don't ask me why because I don't know why. It's a difficult one I tell you.

3. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

on the 1st case, i would just kill of that single person, throwing out a person life which can save 5 other life seem fair to me.

on the 2nd case, will i been prosecuted for 1st degree murder? if not, I would just push that guy in front of me, same formula apply, throwing a life out to save 5 other lifes, But If i will need to face the law, hell no, I'm not going to jail just to save other people's life.

4. sir spamalot

sir spamalot Well-Known Member

being responsible for anyone's death is a pretty big thing for me. the fat guy's relatives won't see it that way...

a similar thing was talked about in a past issue of NewScientist. it was a situation where someone said they wouldn't rescue their brother/sister from certain death, if it meant giving their life. however the same person said they'd do it for 2 brothers/sisters/any combo of them. the reason being rescuing 2 siblings would mean twice the genepool if your sucessful. pretty harsh, if you ask me...

anyway, i'd push him. hell, even if it meant i get done for murder i'd still do it.

5. Reider

Reider Modereider

If you want to think along that line though, why shouldn't you be charged for 1st degree murder for changing the tracks the train is going down to hit the one guy instead of the other five? You're intentionally choosing to sacrifice him for the sake of saving 5 others.

6. equitypetey

equitypetey Well-Known Member

I'd push the fat guy. my thought behind this is.

if the guy is fat enough that i think he can stop A TRAIN he is surely going to die soon from a heart attack or something so its fair game.

you should not of made a thought experiment i over think every thing
    here are some other thoughts i had

if men are working on an in-use rail road and can't realize one is coming they are stupid enough to warrent dying. do you really want the gene pool filled with idiots.

for the first case I'd let it go on as one man may not notice especially if he is working with loud machinery where as 5 men have a greater chance of one noticing

i would go on but I'd be here for ever
    like what if the one man was a hero and had loads of kids and was a nice person but the 5 men are all ex-cons, i don't know i don't want to risk it

7. Truth

Truth Active Member

It depends on one's philosophy. Is one life sacrificed worth five? Perhaps. However, are you justified in flipping that switch to kill the other person? You could be considered a murderer, after all. He would not have died if you did not intervene. Will you be a hero? Or perhaps hated? Down one road you'll recieve praise for your quick thinking, down the other you could have a horrible stain on your soul for the rest of your life. Perhaps when others inquire what happens, they will decide what was right. If you do nothing, will they shun you for not helping? If you do something, will others agree with you?

As for the fat fellow scenario, an individual fat enough to stop a train would probably not be possible to push. Or exist for that matter. Giant tractor trailers barely dent trains in those unfortunate accidents, so a person being able to do it is rather questionable.

8. jacoblam365

jacoblam365 Well-Known Member

Is it the same train for both situation? if a fat dude is enough to stop a train, meaning the train is easily stopped. for the first scenerio, can i pull the trigger half way, so to make it no track?

well. the worse scenerio if i do this is all the people on the train died except the 5 + 1 workers. hahahaha

btw. are those people on the train? or just shipment of goods like hay or milk?

9. ultra

ultra Guest

just like in one of divine divinity's quest, if you can't save all then all shall die. it would be unfair to kill one just to save the others because who's right is it to say that he [the fat guy] should be the one die to save the others?!

10. Reider

Reider Modereider

Well, as far as the fat guy goes, this experiment wasn't really focused on realism, which is stated in my initial post, its really just a scenario to make you question yourself. :)
    derailing, while possible, isn't what the focus was on, but it would probably be the best way to handle the first situation. The train is unmanned by the way, which I'm pretty sure is what I stated in the initial post.

Anyways, I'd like to make this a little more interesting, so lets assume the 5 workers are your good friends and the other man(or fat guy for scenario 2) is a close family member. Would you be willing to sacrifice a member of your family to save your friends, or would you let your friends die in order to keep your relative alive?

11. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

my view is if the fat guy could stop a train, I wouldn't stand a chance of pushing him :p

12. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

okay.....

I don't know, but I'll cross the bridge when I get there, I seriously don't like these questions....

But I'd have to ask, would you sacrifice your life for five? if he agrees, I'd gladly push him down as a hero, but I'll really cross teh bridge when I get there

13. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

well i didnt kill that man in the 1st case, its the train is what kill that man (that man already on the track, he share the same danager as the other 5), where in 2nd case, I kill that man in order to stop the train (that man is already in safety area), if trial, its harder to defense in the 2nd case as oppose to the 1st case where that man already on the track.

14. nomercy

nomercy Well-Known Member

Pushing the fat guy is too direct, too much with intent. I couldn't justify that to myself.
    Pulling a lever is more indirect, there are easier ways to justify (like I didn't see the guy on the single track, or I didn't know the train would head that way)

But in the end I wouldn't do anything, it's not my choice to make. If shit happens, shit happens. Accidents also happen.

And yes, this is the easy way out. Stay away from trouble.

15. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

OK well after two years studying science and the like my mind is trained to view all detail. I cant help but look at this situation with more than a few questions.

First, Why did I notice the train and the workers didnt?

Are they all wearing MP3 players and earmuffs hence not hearing the train. and even if you couldnt hear the train comming, you would feel the vibrations of the approaching train if you were standing on the track.

Also why are the workers there in the first place? they must have been there for a good reason (e.g. broken track), so why is there a train running in the first place.

Finally an unmanned train? possible maybe, but someone must have got in there to start it up and send it off down the track in the first place. And most train stations have CCTV, this leads me to the conclusion that it was either a planned attack or a sick prank. Therefore whoever started the train in the first place would be the one getting done for murder, not me.

Finally finally... Im not one to play god, ill save myself, whatever happens after that happens. You all think that saving five and killing one is the best? the human brain retains negitive thoughts much more easier than positive. Just think for all the years to come you wont be thinking about how you saved 5 people, youll be thinking about how you killed one.

16. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

equally you could be thinking about standing there and not doing anything.

17. BloodVayne

BloodVayne Well-Known Member

I would do nothing. Therefore I am neither a hero nor to blame. Not that I'm selfish, just can't live with the thought that I killed a person (or 5).

18. icyth

icyth Member

Wow, that really blows my mind. So , it wasn't two lifes > one but a instinct to pass on your families genes?

19. Pantera

Pantera Active Member

I'd probably watch them die, since I am too slow to act. I in no way would like the outcome but it's the most likely.

20. kaj1992

kaj1992 Member

the second option always makes us feel better about ourselves because we believe that we are doing good because we are saving 5 peoples lives at the price of 1 and that, overall that is a much better acheivment for ourselves and our self esteem, because you will feel much worse thinking that you could have saved those people by just killing one and you will think that you have killed more people than you could have saved.