1. This forum is in read-only mode.

500gb on a cd

Discussion in 'General News' started by ultra, Apr 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jazzasidari

jazzasidari Well-Known Member

i want one but if a i Terabyte USB came out would you buy it

2. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

500GB... 18 and something times the max capacity of my hard rive... (27GB btw)

3. rush n kaos

rush n kaos Well-Known Member

better than my 12G ahah...

if it's not too too expensive then i might... but reading speed would be kinda slow i think

4. icaro96

icaro96 New Member

5. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

i don't see how people can have such small hard drives... mine's 27GB and i can't stand it, as soon as i get the money, i'm gonna go buy a 1TB Mybook ($115)

6. rush n kaos

rush n kaos Well-Known Member

how? simply cause on my computer i only have one game installed ;D i don't play a lot of the newer games; don't know what to buy anyways.
    but yea a small drive is annoying. that's why i now have a bigger one. although, i have to admit i don't think i'll be needing all my 500GB of space anytime soon. maybe some time in the future...

7. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

my system partition is only 40GB, and almost 34GB of that is empty space.

8. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

"The day when you can store your entire high definition movie collection on one disc and support high resolution formats like 3D television is closer than you think.''
    yay, promoting backups.

what the hell happened to the whole, cd's scratch easily lets make a protected version, or at least enhance the strength and scratch resistance. for read/write time, maybe it spins close to the speed of sound, maybe above? make a little cracking sound when it almost reaches full speed and cracks again when it slows back down and hits the sound barrier again.

what is cloud computing? and why is there still hd-dvd and bluray, is bluray dominating the market now? lcd and plasma, lcd is enhancing and dominating now?

9. Lechongbaboy

Lechongbaboy Well-Known Member

why does Floppy discs dominate the early nineties?

10. damanali

damanali Well-Known Member

cause back then you dont have big things to save. mostly documents which only occupies less than an MB

11. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

flash drives were not around, magnetic media was cheap old technology that was reliable -enough-
    music cd's arrived in the 80's but were expensive. so, cheap, reliable, and suited for the purpose it served.

as soon as demand for larger storage space and no more tape backups. yay cd's. yay cdrw's

12. Lechongbaboy

500 gb discs sure saves hardrive space and money.

13. Loonylion

hard drives will be much cheaper than these, as well as much faster.

14. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

this is a "look what we can do" type report.

15. Lechongbaboy

How can it be?

16. Loonylion

hard disks cost about 0.6GBP per GB at this point, these discs will probably not sell for less than 20GBP per disc. Additionally, because the maximum rotation speed of the disc is intricately linked to the accuracy of the read heads, the transfer rates for optical media are much lower than than hard disks

17. crazytuna

crazytuna Well-Known Member

Yeah but a hard disk is way heavier isn't it?

18. Loonylion

19. crazytuna

crazytuna Well-Known Member

well you have to carry that around and storing would be a little bit harder

20. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

a laptop drive is the size of a wallet and weight almost nothing. it's the batteries that are heavy. lithium batteries help solve this problem. plus non removable media doesn't get scratched. the only downside is HDD's are magnetic media. lasting longer than a cd drive's laser but more suceptable to erasing. if it is exposed to enough magnet.

a dual layer-dvd in american, i bought verbatim dual-dvd+r on amazon for about $1USD per disk, best deal i found on quality media regular dvd+r in 100 didk spindals go for about $30 a spindle, but are medium quality, Sony and miscellaneous.

if im right, a Faraday cage will help against HDD erasing?
    when the read/write speed of the magical new dvd type things is high enough, and they have a good anti scratch technology, it would be worth while using. right now, in my opinion, even bluray is teetering on novelty, this new technology is definatly novelty and would be mostly bought to brag, original lcd/plasma tv's, quality greatly improoved between 2007-2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.