1. This forum is in read-only mode.

3DS tracks and disables pirate cartridge use

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by asianman231, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Rayman4321

Rayman4321 Active Member

Nintendo is the only game company that makes profit even with piracy, for Sony.... piracy would mean their end.
    Doesn't matter for me anyway, Nintendo > Sony.

2. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Sony still does make a profit, even with piracy. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the PSX or PS2, or even the PS3. Also the PSP still made a profit even with piracy, just not as much as Nintendo.

Going by your logic, no one else but Nintendo makes a profit.

3. TheFreakinDuck

TheFreakinDuck Well-Known Member

The 3DS is like the DSi. Specific System Updates are required to be made. Example: I tried downloading DSi Ware one day and it said I could not, under any circumstances, access the shop without updating the system first. So technically, the system might be rendered un-usable in certain ways without mandatory system updates.

And the only reason the updates are mandatory is because they want their systems not to be able to use piracy software anyway. I don't think they need system updates if they put this code in. Just give us the update for the eShop, System Transfer, Internet Browser and be done with it.

(On an unrelated note I'm off to scream in terror that the used copy of Zoo Tycoon 2 DS I just bought to play on 3DS until Zoo Mania 3D comes out doesn't have ALL the scenarios beaten...that's what my European ROM was for (I'm in the US just to clarify))

4. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 Well-Known Member

Almost cannot happen if you do not heavily modify the custom firmware :p

A 3DS is not like a Wii.

5. meminpanda

meminpanda Well-Known Member

you can turn the wireless off and it wont update

6. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

You could brick it without modifying anything. Take out the battery and AC cable while updating.

7. yoshi2889

That is modifying the firmware. :p

Actually updating via a computer is better. The device always has some power while connected.

If something goes wrong in iTunes, iTunes can still restore your device (unless it's jailbroken, then you'll get error 3194).

8. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

You can't update the 3DS via computer though. It requires a Wifi connection as far as I know.

9. yoshi2889

It does, sadly.

10. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

PSP you can though.

11. yoshi2889

iPod also can.

You can say what the heck you want, once you tried it you're gonna love it.

12. TheFreakinDuck

TheFreakinDuck Well-Known Member

I don't plan to use Flash Carts on my 3DS however I do plan to use Pokemon from HeartGold in my White Version. I have a Game Card for White and for HeartGold but I captured some Pokemon in a ROM for Platinum and traded them over.

If I clone or recapture ROM Pokemon and trade them to HeartGold and then trade them over to White, will my system still screw up after the update? (It had better not seeing as how I didn't use Piracy Devices on the system itself)

13. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member