1. This forum is in read-only mode.

3DS or NGP?

Discussion in 'Debates' started by BigGangstaKillaC93, Mar 29, 2011.

1. BigGangstaKillaC93

BigGangstaKillaC93 Well-Known Member

The people who are looking forward to one or both of these systems, which would you prefer or look forward to? The fully 3D, 3DS, or the yet to be released NGP?

2. FulgoreSama

FulgoreSama Well-Known Member

The NGP is what I'm looking forward to, for one It looks freaking amazing, the hardware seems to hold much more ground for third party development if handled correctly, more important to add that Sony could port a lot of better games with those specs.

3. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

The 3DS is awesome in itself. I don't want to drop another X$ on the NGP.
    As of now, it is nothing near as appealing to me as the 3DS is.

4. BigGangstaKillaC93

Yes...but the NGP has yet to be released, so it's appeal is unknown as of now. I will eventually by both. I want a 3DS right now, but I want to see how hacking it goes before I take a shot in the dark and put down the money just to waste 250$ on a bricked system.

5. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

I hope it doesn't get hacked.

6. BigGangstaKillaC93

If it doesn't get hacked, then I won't buy it. I heavily doubt that it won't though, hackers are persistant and will think of something. 40.00$ a game is too much for my budget. I just hope to God the NGP can emulate PS2, or even if someone makes a Gamecube emulator for it. So can the 3DS emulate N64? Or is it unknown as of now? Does it have any built in memory? I guess if it is able to play N64 games, that Nintendo will release some, they're already remaking Zelda: OOT for it. Zelda in 3D would be totally badass. Badass enough to encourage me and many others into buying the 3DS.

7. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

Both systems will be hacked. Neither quickly, I'm sure. People have unrealistic standards right now with the ease of piracy on the DS and PSP and think that hacking the 3DS and I'm sure when the time comes, the NGP, will be easy as can be. The 3DS alone is loaded down with all kinds of encryption on top of security that I'm sure no hacker has encountered before. I mean, hell, it took four years for a stable, really good DS flash cart to release, and the DS was supposedly easy to crack.

On topic: The NGP is really looking more appealing at this point. A very sexy system with all kinds of power and good parts. It boasts a higher feature list, and as it stands, will more than likely have better third party support than the 3DS. Ever notice on the DS that most of the games considered best on the system are first party? At the moment, the only games to really anticipate for the 3DS, are, well, first party. If we can only depend on Nintendo for games that are considered good, the 3DS isn't going to live a long, fulfilling life and may potentially be phased out in a matter of two or three years.

The 3DS does show potential for an N64 emulator (N64 should run smooth as can be) and a PSX emulator. Hell, if somebody tried, they could probably craft the first good PSP emulator for the 3DS. There is lots of potential, but we won't get to see until later. There will be a later, nothing has been left unhacked. Even the unloved DSi mode was hacked. It's gonna happen whether we like it or not.

The 3DS has actually disappointed me overall so far. The AR cards are neat, but the 3D is just a little too gimmicky to the point where it is almost a negative feature to the system. When it comes down to it; when you can only anticipate the hacking of the system to play older titles, where does that leave the system?

8. Shuga

Shuga Well-Known Member

3DS, nothing more to say, also the NGP has not been released yet, sure it has great graphics, but i dont really care much about that, nothing innovating on that system, i dont play with graphics i play good games...

@Nathan Drake for the DS most of the system best games are not first party? lol, look at all the DS library i kinda prefer the third party games most :D

9. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

The NGP has more potential for fulfilling games in the long run due to the more powerful hardware that will be in the casing. The problem with Nintendo fans is that they see Sony, they see pretty graphics and don't look at the substance. My PS3 is considered to have the best graphics of this generation by a pretty good step, but that doesn't prevent good games from being made for it. Open the tunnel vision enclosed mind and let the idea in that a game looking really nice doesn't mean it's bad.

10. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

So if good games are released for the NGP you will buy it?

11. FulgoreSama

FulgoreSama Well-Known Member

Bravo on your words, friend.

Now I'd like to mention a funny thing mentioned by Shuga, "I don't play graphics, I play good games."

What seems to be missed (by a long shot) is that the DS doesn't really have that many good games, They have good concepts and aspects in their games, but that doesn't make the game, it makes the game itself good when they actually compliment each other. Good Example of complimenting the DS: Okamiden, this game was capable of incorporating the touchscreen system into it's game without completely abusing the bottom screen as a gimmick, it added depth and strategy into the gameplay overall of the game and I was unable to find anything wrong with the game itself for it, and I don't even like those heavy japanese styled games, It even managed to have adequate writing for the game (which is pretty shocking for a DS game)
    There are very few games that actually can make use of both screens to make a decent game with those system setup.

Now to go over the quick views of the 3DS and the NGP

Now with the NGP, there's going to be a more open view on game emulation, hell if the emulation world decides to kick some major ass, this baby could pretty much emulate the PS2 no problem. It could emulate a lot of classic game consoles. Sony may finally be fulfilling the promise of giving us a "portable game console for gamers".

However, the 3DS is once again like the DS system franchise, running off of a flashy gimmick that actually seems silly, they're going to give us a lot of enhanced sequels that seem to be rewashing the same stories and plots, and worst of all.. Chances are the only games we'll be playing on this system are DS, GBA, SNES and some arcade machine games (Not a bad thing, but chances are it will be such a let down when it comes to actual emulation of such).

In short, It'll be literally the Wii(3DWii?) versus the PS2.5 (Basically a PS3 portable, but will probably be put at PS2 level)

I rest my case.

12. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

In terms of you saying "DS doesn't really have that many good games" is subjective. I find that there are many great titles, and in fact the best ones rarely use the touch screen or use it to a minimum. Compared to the PSP, the DS library is as huge and diverse as the PS2. The PSP as great as a system it is, it doesn't have the extensive library the DS has or even the sheer number of good games on it. While there's always the rare gems on the system, it still doesn't amount to the amount the DS still has.

And we don't know how long it'll take for these systems to become hacked for emulators, honestly, questioning whether or not it'll have homebrew capabilities like emulators is out of the question, in fact you comparing the 3DS to the DS in terms of emulators is silly considering that the 3DS has a much bigger and more capable UI that it's predecessor. In fact it's more similar to the Wii. Everyone hoping for a PS2 emulator on the NGP? I don't honestly see it happening.

I'm going to be the one to say that because the hardware is more powerful, it doesn't mean there will be more games for it. In fact, it's been the opposite for a long while, the DS had a bigger library of games versus the PSP, the PS2 had a bigger library of games than the Xbox or the GC, the PSX had more games than the N64, etc. It's easier to make games on the least demanding hardware, while is can foster shovelware, it can foster a lot of good games (as is the case with the DS, PS2 and PSX). And despite what Nathan Drake said about first party games on the DS, the third party line up of games on it was great as well. The PSP 3rd party line up? Eh, shaky. While it's easy to point the finger to piracy in it's later life, there still wasn't a lot of good third party titles when the thing came out and a year in the system's life.

My biggest problem with the PSP (and I can easily see it happening with the NGP) is that it was a console in your hands. That's the problem. Most of the PSP's heavy hitters were not made to be handheld, they were made to be on the console. While some one may like this aspect, I did not like it much. Handheld games have their place, I want it to be pick up and play in nature and for me to stop anytime and continue where I left off. I usually never play actual PSP games when I'm on a trip, I usually play emulators on the thing so I can save state when I'm done or when the trip is over. I can't do this with GoW, I can't do this with a lot of the PSP games with few exception (Dissidia and Patapon come out as examples as pick up and play on the PSP). Meanwhile on the DS, there's a lot of games on the thing made for handheld. While I can enjoy the console like games on a handheld, handheld games have their place and they were hard to find on the PSP.

With the level of graphic fidelity that the NGP has, I can only come to one conclusion that it's going to be console in your hands 2.0. While Nintendo rests on their laurels about having the latest gimmick, at least it's tied to the handheld aspect which I like about the Nintendo handhelds.

13. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

I find it easier to start and stop playing any time I wish on the PSP with the sleep function. I don't really get that from the DS. If I had to estimate, the majority of DS games, probably 50% of the library consists of RPG games. And most of the RPGs I played don't really have immediate saving. You'd always have to find a save point or an inn or whatever to save your game. I don't count Quicksaves because they get deleted after you reload your game. If I'm playing Monster Hunter on the PSP, and I need to take a pause break while fighting a Wyvern, I could just put the PSP to sleep mode and continue where I left off at a later time. I don't really get to do that in many DS RPG games. Some don't even HAVE a Quicksave function.

14. lewis9191

lewis9191 Well-Known Member

You can still close the ds, this saves alot of power.

15. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

Both, probably.

16. Stanley Richards

I don't want to close it for 3 hours or more.

17. lewis9191

Your loss then, i close mine over night and through the day.

18. Stanley Richards

What's the point? I might as well mute my PSP and turn the brightness down, and just leave it like that for the whole day.

19. lewis9191

I dont see your point. You say the like the psp better because it has the sleep function but if you close the ds is like a sleep function.

20. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

When you close the lid on your DS, you're essentially putting it on mute, turning the monitor off and pausing the game. You're not really putting it in a sleeping state where your last position is committed to memory and the handheld is powered down. The DS is still running, and while the PSP won't be wasting any more battery, the DS will eventually run out of power (Although I don't know how long it takes, my original DS has slept for 12 hours at one point on 2 bars).

I'm saying this on absolutely no research so [citation needed]