1. This forum is in read-only mode.

1 TB hard drive

Discussion in 'Computers & Modding' started by ultra, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Yes, they also cost a hell of a lot more, come in much smaller capacities and wear out faster.

2. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

ouch... that had to hurt...

3. adrelith

adrelith Well-Known Member

But they do have much quicker read/write times :p And no mechanical parts.

4. Loonylion

so the bottleneck moves to the storage controller rather than the disk. I get awesome performance from my Seagate Cheetah 15k drives, and you don't get much faster than U320-SCSI

5. adrelith

adrelith Well-Known Member

You're right. I just wanted to say it's not all bad for solid state drives :p And all we can hope for is that they get better :)

6. ultra

ultra Guest

don't scsi drives often have problems running games and such, if you remember those days during the early pc gaming era. there were games that would not work properly on an scsi drive. besides, those things are crazy expensive at a small drive space and the add on port controller is also expensive as hell.

7. Loonylion

I run all my games off SCSI drives and have had no trouble (I thought I did at first, it was actually bad RAM)

My controller card wasnt that expensive either, although I'll grant the drives arent cheap, but I got 2x 73GB for £95 shipped.

8. ultra

ultra Guest

maybe now a days developers manage to solve the problems of the past, but i still remember that there were certain games that had problems running in an scsi hard drive compared to a standard ide hard drive. btw, when i mean back then i mean like during those multimedia days [i guess before 95].

9. Loonylion

Would have been an entirely different version of SCSI back then.

10. megadethnatic

megadethnatic Member

I want to combine 2 x 250GB for system and downloads etc. (Samsung HD252KJ) and for my data I want to use 2 x 750 GB (Samsung HD753LJ).
    Not as fast as Seagate (110 MB/s instead of 115 MB/s) but therefor only a "loudness" of 0,7 sone and only 6W to 7W of energy consum. ^^

11. Loonylion

be careful about combining drives, usually it means if one dies all the data on both is lost (because it's segmented and split between disks)

12. evannick

evannick Well-Known Member

sooo many space i want 1 too!

13. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

all this talk about super sized drives makes me envious

14. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

...all I know is I got a 1TB hard drive that's almost full thanks to this site...

And the order I DO know is byte-mega-giga-terra.

It's better with 2 r's XD

15. evannick

evannick Well-Known Member

after tera is exa i think

16. damanali

damanali Well-Known Member

hmm..i dont know if i'm right, but after byte, should it be kilobyte? or byte is the same with kilobyte? Its not a joke, i'm just checking. sorry if i'm wrong

17. Fragata

Fragata Well-Known Member

Seeing as this has turned into a HDD competition, i have a 250gb, an old 40gb, 2x1gb, 1x2, 1x4, and a 8gb, bringing it up to a total of...
    *Gets out calculator*
    2566!

EDIT: no wait... That cant be right... After redoing the maths i got 316gb *blushes*

18. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

and my laptop has an internal of 250GB-not as much but that is what the nearly full 1TB drive is for.

19. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

sadly, I don't need a calculator for mine...
    I got a 28GB and an 8GB... totaling 36GB of HDD... *sigh*

I'm saving up for an external 1TB drive

20. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

GOOD LORD!

...my laptop kills yours alone!
    Post Merge: [time]1252169639[/time]
    BTW-several 4GB SD cards-8GB for psp as well as a 1gb-and an 8GB on keychain.

I once had my collection on the 8gb-how far I have come :D