1. This forum is in read-only mode.

1 TB hard drive

Discussion in 'Computers & Modding' started by ultra, Apr 18, 2007.

1. macha88

macha88 Member

heh, i have a mac classic pro! floppies FTW!!! 100 MB Zip Drive FTW!!!

2. daZee0410

daZee0410 New Member

Hey, you guys should check out some of the new alienware comps coming out, I read somewhere that they're working on making one with 4TB hard disk space.

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Personally I'm not keen on alienware, they are known to have overheating related problems. Besides, I just like building my own machines :)

Speaking of which, I have some hard disk upgrades on order :)

4. regular_gamer

regular_gamer Active Member

You know whats pretty strange,
    I do tons of stuff on my computer for about 6 hours Every day, And I have Never run out of memory on my 20gb HD.
    But, I could really use an upgrade (im still on win2k :-[ )

5. Loonylion

don't bother upgrading, you aren't missing anything. Win 2k with SP4 is virtually XP in terms of features, and its faster.

6. adrelith

adrelith Well-Known Member

Just an update I got the car instead of the NAS :( It's a cool car though, and I still have about a grand left so I might get a NAS sometime in the near future.

7. err

err Well-Known Member

Here's my hardrive : Total capacity 25.8GB Remaining 3.38GB.... My computer is very old... It's a wonder I can run N64 games... 50% of the space I'm using is roms/isos..

8. sir spamalot

sir spamalot Well-Known Member

the terrabyte is highly misleading, technically you get 930 gigabytes. that's why they're releasing a new industry standard called the "tebibyte", which is equal to exactly 1000 gigabytes.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/storage/news/2007/12/07/Tebibyte-Mooted-To-End-Capacity-Confusion/p1
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tebibyte

sorry if this's already been posted, but i couldn't be bothered to trawl through 4 pages

9. Loonylion

thats stupid, they don't need a new standard; they just need to force manufacturers to adhere to the existing one. A terrabyte is NOT 1000GB, it is 1024GB.

10. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

A terabyte is 1,000 GB. A tebibyte is 1,024 GB. It says on Wikipedia. They could be wrong, though.

11. Loonylion

They are wrong. Computers work in base 2 not base ten. While 'terra' in decimal means 1 trillion, in computer terms it means the nearest power of 2.
    Hence a Kilobyte is actually 1024 bytes, even though 'kilo' means 1,000 in base 10. Computer RAM capacity also increases in powers of 2. A contributing factor to why hard disks actually hold less than their stated capacity is because manufacturers dishonestly use the base 10 definition of the prefix (mega, giga etc), not the base 2 definition that the computer uses. Hence the usable capacity is less than the manufacturer stated capacity.

12. Born2killx

I'll believe you since I didn't understand half the words you said in that post. And I believe "tera" has one R. It redirects me to terabyte when I search "terrabyte" on Wikipedia.

13. Warren_303

Warren_303 Well-Known Member

1,024 KB = 1 MB
    1,024 MB = 1 GB
    1,024 GB = 1 TB
    1,024 TB = 1 YB

I heard it was a Yatabyte for the last one but, I dont have time to do research. I'm working.

I'm already spending too much time here :D

14. Loonylion

no, its petabyte after terrabyte.

15. Born2killx

Whoa, no way, Warren. A yottabyte is seriously overkill. It's 1,024 zettabytes, which is 1,024 exabytes, which is 1,024 petabytes, which is 1,024 terabytes.

16. ultra

ultra Guest

it doesn't really matter what it is as we won't be around to actually see or name it correctly. it will be like the next 1-2 hundred years before something like that may even exists. the problem with current computers today is maintainning heat and size, though there may be more then meets the eye.

17. Loonylion

actually machines with petabytes of storage do exist...

18. ultra

ultra Guest

ohh really?!

19. Loonylion

Yep, saw one at a research lab about 6 years ago :)

20. desaze

desaze Well-Known Member

All the math is killing me...

128, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096... blah blah blah

I have a 1.5 TB hardD and 2.5 GB of RAM (x2) to run any game I ever want to play and any software I ever want to run... until next month when some new freak-computer releases...