1. This forum is in read-only mode.

1 TB hard drive

Discussion in 'Computers & Modding' started by ultra, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Ah yes, I still remember the incident where BOTH our harddisk in RAID 1 went into read-only mode effective crashing the server and refusing to boot, for some odd reason it became impossible to back shit up so we only got the MySQL Data... God that was awesome.

2. adrelith

adrelith Well-Known Member

I have 320GB in my main PC. 160GB in my secondary PC. 40GB in my old laptop and another 320GB in my new one. That's 840GB all up if that's how we are playing :p Not even 1TB :( I'm looking to get a 1TB network hard drive soon, just need the cash :p

I just went and counted and I also have 300GB+ in OLD hard drives ranging from 4GB - 60GB.

3. megadethnatic

megadethnatic Member

1 TB drives are somehow pervert. Wherefor do you need so much dsikspace? When I imagine that some mainboards support up to eight sATA-drives, this would make something like this:
    8 * (1,000,000,000,000 bytes / 1024 ** 3) = 8 * 931,32 GB = 7450,58 GB = 7,28 tB

That's a fucking crazy amount. What you can store with this:
    -- About 800 movie-DVDs when they are all in format DVD-9 in original qualitry on your hdds OR
    -- About 10,600 audio-CDs as WAV OR
    -- Millions of roms

*slobber*

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Uncompressed video files take up about 3GB per minute, and it is essential that you use uncompressed files when editing video to minimise quality deterioration.

5. megadethnatic

megadethnatic Member

When I'm not wrong I read that movies in the 4k-resolution (a resolution for movies in cinemas that will be used in future) take up to one gB per second!
    That's fucking insane!

Uncompressed files are always better, whether it's video, audio or photo.

6. Loonylion

The figure I gave was for PAL DVD resolution. NTSC will produce even larger files due to the higher framerate.

7. Supasly

Supasly Guest

My computer with 19.0GB hard drive is almost full but my 180GB Laptop is still in good shape only half full.

8. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

i know people who have about 1.5tb or 2tb hd... they use two hard drives, though...

and i know people who have computers capable of achieving some incredible 2gb with their video card...

they use four 512mb video cards, though... :D

9. Supasly

Supasly Guest

I need a new vid card. My 16mb video card is making me mad. I can't play Warhammer Dark Crusades or Fable.

10. Loonylion

LOL, even my dad has a 32MB graphics card (that was upgraded last year from a 1MB though :p )

11. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

holy shit!!!... my older pc has about 10 years and has a 8mb vid card... i suppose your pc's are relatively pretty new...

12. Supasly

Supasly Guest

Its a pretty new HP with some Dell crap in it some Gateway... Yeah I modded most of it.

13. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

i can't believe it...

i'm always telling my dad ''we need a new pc'' and such things, and i found a recent book saying the specs of a pc that won't get old quickly...

guess what??...

my pc has those specs...

14. trueblue882

trueblue882 Member

33 GB Desktop, huzzah ;D

15. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

well, there's someone with less hard drive than me...

16. adrelith

I'm looking at getting a 3TB NAS to back up everything on my home network (about 6 computers) and to act as storage for my family's two media centres. It's just hard choosing between supreme storage and a car :p

17. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

is the hard disk that expensive??...

18. adrelith

A decent NAS can set you back a couple of thousand dollars - and so can a crappy car :p So yeah, I have to choose if I want to drive to uni or catch the bus :p

19. Commander

Commander Member

Didnt read the entire review.
    Read times must be terrible, not really worth it. Might aswell wait for a more feasible way to read data quickly on that scale.
    It will be a long time till solid state memory comes in large enough sizes to used as storage.

20. Loonylion

with a decent network, you can stream data as fast as an IDE hard disk can supply it...