1. This forum is in read-only mode.

1 million dinner and skyrocketed treasury...

Discussion in 'General News' started by bhatooth, Aug 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bhatooth

bhatooth Well-Known Member

of our beloved(sarcasm strikes my guts)president gloria macapagal arroyo
    its all around the news that her money got 2000% more since the first year on the presidency,it reached 110+ million pesos from 60+ million pesos in one year considering her salary every month is just 45000 pesos

then she dined with some government officials on a hotdog stand which cost 1 million pesos WTF!!!,
    i can live for 5 years with that!,it is said that it came from another government official's own treasury
    but still.
    i saw a complain done by some people who go to carinderias(eateries) and look for students who eat at the cost of 50 pesos
    so guys what do oyu think of this bullsh*t happening?
    and 1 dollar=50 pesos

2. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

Something WRONG there..and
    THAT's CORRUPT..sorry to say.

3. bhatooth

ofcourse its corrupt
    we know it i hope the next president is better
    BTW the presidency election is on 2010

4. damanali

damanali Well-Known Member

First, I'm not protecting the president or defending corruption but we should think of the logic behind it.

Well, it could happen. Those dinners can reach for thousands of dollars for like a Foundation-causes dinner, SAve-something dinner, or Socialite dinners. It is done here in our country most of the time, the rich-upper class of society.

Also, we should also think of this, those that came to the US are not poor, politicians here, even before entering politics are not poor. They are extremely rich that will use millions of pesos just to distribute propaganda materials.

Also, are we sure its the governments money they used? or its their personal money? If its the goverments' money, why dont we just check it in the Commission on Audit, or
    COA? We already done some shits in the past like toppling good presidents and exchanging them with shittier ones. Lets not presume. It already done some major shits, thats why we have a president that is already 10 years in power.

Also, if i was as rich as Bill Gates, and has 20,000 USD in my pocket, i would use that as i pleased. Nobody can order me, what i should use it for. Thats the same with our politicians, if they can proved that the money is their personal money, not goverment funds, then we cant order them what they should do with their money.

But on a final note, here are my conclusions on this issue:

1.) My money, my rule. - If its my money, I'll do whatever i want with it.

2.) I'm a President, I'm not eating poor. - You represent a country, at least eat well, and show we are not a shit hole and we are already bankrupted.

3.) I'm Human, I need livelihood. - Even if your a politician, you can still own your business. If I own a Store before entering politics, then i became president, that doesnt mean i need to close my store.

5. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

In the UK it does. You're paid a salary for being an MP, you are not allowed a second job (potential conflict of interest). Not that it stops them.

6. damanali

We also have the rule like you cant practice your profession while your holding public office. But if your an businessman, you can let others handle it, but not use your position to influence it. Thats why I'm not really surprised why our president's net worth rose up. It could be corruption but it could be other things like her stocks went up, or her farm yielded a higher share than other times, or business is good.

Also, off topic, whats MP in Great Britain? or is that PM for Prime Minister? I'm not correcting you, just wanted to know what MP is.

7. bhatooth

your number 3 reason is wrong having a second job while being in the presidency is not allowed because your attention must be on your presidency only
    look at manny villar he has a 21 billion worth of real estate he needs to surrender it if he wants to run as president

8. alexong96

alexong96 Well-Known Member

We're not talking about a richest guy in the world who can spend anything cause he wants to. We're talking about a president who doesn't even bother to give money to the poor! I mean, what does Gloria eat anyway? Gold? And I wouldn't spend a 1 million pesos for food. I would rather give 75% of the money and keep the 25% to myself.

9. Loonylion

You must not hold a directorship or sit on the board of any company if you are an MP. People do anyway, and then they campaign for changes to the law that benefits their company, or they use their position to gain government contracts for the company for which they are a director. Recently we've had quite a lot of cases where government contracts went to companies owned by an MP's wife/sister/brother/other close family member.

PM is prime minister, MP is member of parliament.

10. damanali

A president is not a saint. There is the difference between a politician and a statesman.
    Unless we have proof that she used government funds, we should just gather evidences. I could accuse any politician of corruption, but unless i have proof, my accusations are baseless and it could backfire and have me arrested for libel and malicious intent to dishonor a public official.

Also, its good you plan to give away 75% away, but like i said, its your money, do what you want with it. But if the 1 Million pesos, or 20,000 USD is her private money, then she could do watever she wanted with it. Lets prove that its government money. Lets investigate, and give it to the Ombudsman and let justice be served on her.

hmmm, i never read that one before. Thank you for bringing it up so that i can research it more, cause i haven't read that article in the news and not read it in the constitution.

Yes, its a shame they use their positions to influence to benefits their relatives and families businesses. We should file more reports on this issues. Thats why its good that our senators are holding those investigations about this anomalies. It maybe used as propaganda against the future candidates, but at least the people will know about their choices on the incoming elections.

11. bhatooth

its not the money its the moral
    how can a president eat a 1 million pesos on one go when her nation is starving?

12. damanali

Yeah, i know what you mean. Its like, "why wont you finish you plate, dont you know millions of people would fight over just to eat that?"

If i was in the same boat like that, i have a nice comeback. Here it goes: If millions of people are hungry and i have money to spend on food, why would i go hungry just to sympathize with them? Its not my fault I worked hard to earn money for food.

But yeah, its a really disturbing to spend 1 Million for a single meal...

13. Blade5406

Blade5406 Well-Known Member

I thought they were invited?

14. bhatooth

yeah they were invited by a congressman
    and its hard to believe that a congressman would treat a president lol

15. damanali

why would it be hard to believe? the congressmen of our country are the so called "legally" corrupt. why I said "legally"? because they are the one's earning the pork barrels. so thats why I'm wondering why we are so focused on the president when congressmen are getting hundreads of millions from our taxpayers pockets, while the president gets it from other means that we cannot prove.

16. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

One vignette for you....

"Having power corrupts"

True a person may or may not be corrupt even before he/she obtains power, but as soon as one attains some form power it can & in most cases will, lead to corruption. Sad fact but true :(

17. Loonylion

All power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

Or to quote my 'mentor', all power corrupts, absolute power is even more fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.